• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Revisiting Rampage vs Randleman

Ludwig von Mises

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

What an insane display of athleticism from both guys. Randleman had one of most powerful takedowns in MMA history. D1 All American wrestling champion with insane explosiveness. He slammed Fedor on his neck and nearly killed him.

The speed of Randleman's left hook was impressive. To this day Rampage says no one has ever punched him harder than Randleman has with that left hook. This was the same punch that knocked out prime Cro Cop. That's a scary guy: someone who can punch like that and slam someone on their head and kill them.

Rampage's takedown defense was world class here. He managed to stuff Randleman multiple times even when Randleman made clean entries and got deep into his takedowns. That knee and punch combo for the knockdown followed by that GnP finish was violent af.

Really impressive skills shown here, especially considering this was 20 years ago.

What an atmosphere it was in Pride.

Last edited:
Amazing performance by both guys.

Randleman was such a monster. The ropes saved Rampage on that one TD. A slightly bigger ring and he'd have had it.

Those knees to the body from Rampage were so good too. It felt like a position he'd been training all camp for.

images

When you consider how poor Jones made Rampage 2.0 (the best version of Rampage ever by his own word) this just makes Jon Jones look like an absolute beast.

Love that fight. Maybe Rampage's most impressive performance (if not it's second to Chuck I). That stuffed double is right there with Cro Cop's TDD masterclass on Coleman as just scary impressive strength and balance. You can hear Coleman yell in Randleman's corner, "You gotta turn the corner, Kev," but I'm sure in Randleman's head he was thinking, "I've never had to turn the corner before! NOBODY stops my shots like this!" And I love Bas on the mic when they're marveling over Rampage's TDD and how difficult it is to stop Randleman from taking you down, and Bas just goes, "I was on my back" 😁

Then, of course, Rampage calls out Wanderlei, Wanderlei gets in his face, and Rampage goes back to the locker room with Wand on the mic echoing through the arena, "Come on! Come on!" But for true class, a great snapshot of what a genuinely amazing human being Kevin Randleman was, he'd just gotten KTFO by Rampage, but when Wand got in the ring and swung on Rampage and all hell broke loose, look who's standing on the outside of the ropes ready to go back in the ring and defend Rampage. RIP to a legendary fighter and a first-class human being.

Love that fight. Maybe Rampage's most impressive performance (if not it's second to Chuck I). That stuffed double is right there with Cro Cop's TDD masterclass on Coleman as just scary impressive strength and balance. You can hear Coleman yell in Randleman's corner, "You gotta turn the corner, Kev," but I'm sure in Randleman's head he was thinking, "I've never had to turn the corner before! NOBODY stops my shots like this!" And I love Bas on the mic when they're marveling over Rampage's TDD and how difficult it is to stop Randleman from taking you down, and Bas just goes, "I was on my back" 😁

Then, of course, Rampage calls out Wanderlei, Wanderlei gets in his face, and Rampage goes back to the locker room with Wand on the mic echoing through the arena, "Come on! Come on!" But for true class, a great snapshot of what a genuinely amazing human being Kevin Randleman was, he'd just gotten KTFO by Rampage, but when Wand got in the ring and swung on Rampage and all hell broke loose, look who's standing on the outside of the ropes ready to go back in the ring and defend Rampage. RIP to a legendary fighter and a first-class human being.

What an atmosphere.

Back