Review: Triumph United Death Star Boxing Gloves (8/10)

ClampXVII

Bravado Muay Thai Trainer
@Black
Reaction score
Introduction:

Greetings and salutations readers! I've been a big fan of Triumph United for years but I finally just got back into liking them. Meaning they have something I finally wanted to buy. I loved their original gear. They went a different route and then came back with much better gear this time around. I reviewed their Death Adders and I really like those gloves. They're one of my favorite training gloves I've used this year. I wanted something for sparring and the new Death Stars caught my eyes. I took a chance and got them and I'm glad I did.

Fit & Feel:

First off. Has anyone ever tried the Triumph United Thai Silencer Training Gloves? If yes, then these gloves are going to feel really familiar. From the fit to the lining but better padding and craftsmanship.

The Death Stars use the same elastic hook and loop strap. It helps to keep the gloves snug without squeezing or cutting off the circulation of my arm. It does a decent job of locking down my wrists because the padding on the underside are well padded. It's not the greatest protection I felt but it's snug and there isn't that much wiggle room. It does it's job and nothing more.

What I really like about this glove is the feel of the lining and a hand compartment that will accommodate a variety of hand sizes and finger lengths for 16 oz gloves. It's a good glove for lightweights or heavyweights. I like the thumb because its in a natural position. I can make a comfortable fist.

The problem I have about the fit and feel of the gloves is the lining. It's thick. This is good because they're not going to rip on you, but from experience with this type of lining, they're going to hold a lot of sweat and smells if you don't take care of them. You NEED to air these gloves out or use glove dogs or else they'll get nasty. This also leads me to my next problem. They have no ventilation holes so the thick leather and thick lining makes your hands sweaty almost as soon as you use them.

Quality & Craftsmanship:

The craftsmanship of the gloves are clean! I'm not sure what happened because the Storm Trooper gloves had some sloppy stitching. The stitching on these gloves are really clean. It's all double stitched, single line passes, and very tight and neat.

The leather is what I like and don't like about the gloves. It feels thick but it isn't the toughest leather I've used on a glove. They're showing lines of wrinkles but when I run my fingers over them, I can only feel the smoothness of the leather. It's a bit weird since they LOOK like they're older than they are but the leather FEELS smooth and new. I've used these for roughly 15 rounds of bag and mitt work and 5 rounds of sparring. I think at this rate the gloves are going to looking like they've seen the rough side of a heavy bag but the gloves should survive a couple of good years of heavy use.

The padding isn't super thick or dense. It's a bit on the softer side but still thick enough that you're knuckles are going to pierce through the padding anytime soon. It has a very thick and spongy but absorbent quality to them. They're not gloves that are going to be causing a lot of damage to your training partners even if you hit hard, but they'll still protect your hands on the heavy bag.

Performance:

The gloves perform very well in every area. They're great for sparring, mitt work, and bag work. I can open up my hands very easily to clinch, wrestle, parry, and catch kicks. It's definitely a workhorse glove that will let me do everything without any hassle. They're the kind of gloves made for someone who only needs one pair to do everything.

On the heavy bag they performed well. I didn't find my hands cramped or sore after a heavy bag routine. I didn't have to check my power in fear of my wrists buckling. This was a concern because I'm punching more with the front of my hands than the knuckles. The wrist padding and elastic strap did enough to ensure that I didn't roll my wrists.

On mitts they'll make satisfying

damn clamp you gotta be nicer to your gloves brotha!
hehe.

Great review!
So these almost make the "Must have list"
nice bro, very detailed im liking your latest reviews, very honest stuff coming out. Gloves look like they have a greyish haze, looks like they need some leather wipes or something to bring back the black.

Is it really dry where you are at?

I wouldn't say it's dry but the gloves don't get wiped down with chemicals. I store then in my garage or in my bedroom closet. There are items that stay in my car however. Every now and then I use a baby wipe to clean off any blood, sweat or drool. When you get these gloves Strat please do a counter review. I'm sure I'm on target but a second look is always helpful. All in all, I think they're good gloves.

Definate improvement over the storm trooper line. I'm glad T*U listened to the feedback and made a better product at the same price.

I really like the storm trooper headgear. I only expect the death star to be as good or better.

Well I'm almost done with it and it should go up tomorrow. We'll see if some of the points are the same. It'll be interesting to get your take on it since it's essentially the same piece of equipment.

Heh, funny cause I wanna see what you have to say clamp. I'll definitely respectfully add my opinion.

Edit: forgot to mention. Love the whole death star color scheme. Black and red is always cool, and relatively low key

Great review as usual Clamp! You're making me a fan of triumph just like Strato is making me a fan of R2C. How do these compare in terms of performance to the death adders and the tokushu's?

Last edited:
You're welcome bud. The gloves are different from the Death Adders. The padding is thicker and they're overall a bigger glove. It's better suited for Muay Thai because the palms open up a bit wider than the Death Adders. The Tokushus are really different. The Death Stars are a new and improved Thai Silencer in my eyes.

Back