Review: Pride Fighting Legacy Volume 2 5 DVD Set

Matt Thornton

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
My girlfriend bought me this for Christmas. I was drawn in by it because it promised me 13 HOURS of Pride for 25 bucks! Pretty sweet deal.

Volume 2 consists of Prides 6-9 and 11 (why they skipped 10, I don't know; Pride 10 was a great event). 5 events, 13 hours, 25 bucks. That's a pretty damn good deal.

I haven't gotten through the whole set, but I will say that Pride 6 and 7 are probably better for learning some of the history of Pride. Most of the fights really are not too exciting. A large majority of the fights go to a decision because the fight wouldn't go either way, due to a lot of stalling from both sides. The pace does start to pick up, though, when more exciting fighters like Kazushi Sakuraba, Daijiro Matsui, and Carlos Newton come in.

What's also interesting is how in the earlier Prides, every so often, they give a martial arts demonstration to show single arts. For example, although I don't own the DVD, in Pride 5, there was a BJJ demonstration by Rickson and Royler Gracie, showcasing some of the self defense moves, some grappling moves, and then some live sparring. In Pride Legacy Volume 2, there's a Kyokushin fight in the Pride ring! I thought that was pretty cool. Those guys are hardcore.

The only weird thing is the way they choose to cram 5 DVDs into such a small case. The case is about the width of 2 DVD cases stacked on top of each other. When you open it up, theres a spot on the left inner cover that has the first DVD, then a plastic swinging thing that has 2 of the DVDs, overlapping each other, and then the right inner cover has the same overlapping pattern. It was sort of weird, but pretty cool. The DVD case also comes with a nice cardboard sleeve.

Overall, this DVD set makes a great addition to your MMA DVD collection without breaking the bank. It's a nice way to present the early years of Pride, and will look good in any collection.

Iceman5592 said:
My girlfriend bought me this for Christmas. I was drawn in by it because it promised me 13 HOURS of Pride for 25 bucks! Pretty sweet deal.

Volume 2 consists of Prides 6-9 and 11 (why they skipped 10, I don't know; Pride 10 was a great event). 5 events, 13 hours, 25 bucks. That's a pretty damn good deal.

I haven't gotten through the whole set, but I will say that Pride 6 and 7 are probably better for learning some of the history of Pride. Most of the fights really are not too exciting. A large majority of the fights go to a decision because the fight wouldn't go either way, due to a lot of stalling from both sides. The pace does start to pick up, though, when more exciting fighters like Kazushi Sakuraba, Daijiro Matsui, and Carlos Newton come in.

What's also interesting is how in the earlier Prides, every so often, they give a martial arts demonstration to show single arts. For example, although I don't own the DVD, in Pride 5, there was a BJJ demonstration by Rickson and Royler Gracie, showcasing some of the self defense moves, some grappling moves, and then some live sparring. In Pride Legacy Volume 2, there's a Kyokushin fight in the Pride ring! I thought that was pretty cool. Those guys are hardcore.

The only weird thing is the way they choose to cram 5 DVDs into such a small case. The case is about the width of 2 DVD cases stacked on top of each other. When you open it up, theres a spot on the left inner cover that has the first DVD, then a plastic swinging thing that has 2 of the DVDs, overlapping each other, and then the right inner cover has the same overlapping pattern. It was sort of weird, but pretty cool. The DVD case also comes with a nice cardboard sleeve.

Overall, this DVD set makes a great addition to your MMA DVD collection without breaking the bank. It's a nice way to present the early years of Pride, and will look good in any collection.

good call on the packaging being whack. I have vol 1 & 2 and cracked one of the vol 1 dvds trying to get it off that swinging thing. Ive since removed the dvds from the case adn put them in a cd binder b/c that shit was so annoying. that karate demo was hot. I like that they swapped belts at the end - big time show of repect. i also have to admit - though i dont like it when gracies take a beating , roylers legs were f;d after sak put the wood to them.

In the Pride 5 demonstration, when they begin to spar, Rickson pulls off one of the sickest transitions into a triangle I have ever seen. I don't even know what happened. I just know at the end, Royler was in the choke (then Rickson transitioned to an armbar to finish, but I think he could have won with the choke).

Back