REVIEW: Dollamur/Swain Flexi-Roll Mats

BaconTastesGood

Blue Belt
Reaction score
flexi_tall.jpg

Before I found the local places to train I thought I was going to have go old-school and practice in my basement with DVD instruction. Horrible, but that was how desperate I was to learn some of this stuff. Thankfully I've bypassed that by finding a couple decent schools, but I ended up buying these mats anyway.

flexi_surface.jpg

With a wife and kids, I obviously couldn't just take over the entire basement with mats, so I needed something reasonably portable. The standard blue folding mats were way too bulky and heavy (and expensive), and puzzle mats were a pain in the ass. I luckily stumbled across the Swain Flexiroll portable mats. I'll try to add pictures when I get a chance.

After placing an order for the 1.25" thick mats through one of my schools I got them three weeks later. The late shipping really sucked, but they claimed they had run out due to an excessively large order from another customer right before we placed our own. I ordered two of the 5' x 10' textured green 'tatami' style mat.

flexi_surface_zoom.jpg

The mats were well packaged and even included a big roll of 'mat tape', which you can use to tape two mats together side by side. The tape was free, which was a nice touch, however I've never used it so I'm not sure how effective it is (or not).

The first thing I noticed about the mats was their weight or, rather, their complete lack of it. These things are light. Not "it doesn't take much effort to lift it" light, but "a six year old girl carried them across the room" light. They're practically made out of air.

flexi_links.jpg

They're extremely comfortable to roll on -- they're actually used as makeshift beds when the kids are sleeping downstairs in the basement when company is over -- but can take a pretty good hit. It's amazing how resilient the mats are given their almost complete lack of weight.

The roll-up functionality is effortless and simple, it's basically like rolling up a carpet (but a lot easier). They come with velcro straps to keep them rolled up, which is a nice touch.

flexi_links_zoom.jpg

I'm a little worried about the long term reliability of the connective material between the links, but so far they've been holding up really well. They're soft enough that I can perform aikido breakfalls on them, but I would not recommend their use for suplexes or really brutal throws -- they are soft enough that a controlled landing is decent, but an uncontrolled fall would probably still suck.

Their portability makes them great for demonstrations -- they're much easier to pack up than blue folding mats -- and you can easily stow them away in a closet when not in use and unroll them when you want.

Cleaning is a cinch as well -- just wipe them down and you're set. The foam side of the mats do tend to get things "stuck" in them like insects, hair, and any other debris on a typical floor, but that's the side facing away from me so I don't really care.

Amazingly enough, these are $20 cheaper than the portable folding mats, although probably not as durable in the long run. For people that need portability or want something that's handy for grappling (but not necessarily for big slams) I can recommend these highly.

Great review. Please get those pics up as I am thinking of ordering them in September.

Since you won't be taking any pictures. Is the picture of the green mat on the site a good representation of what the color is like? Because their green looks like its mixed with gray.

I plan on taking pictures, but I'm flying to California tomorrow morning and won't have time unless something magical happens in the interim. I'll try to take pics when I return.

The green mat on their site looks very much like my own green mats -- it's a very light, desaturated green, reminiscent of tatami (which I think is the point).

Dan: those are them -- the two guys sparring look like they're on a pair of 5x10' mats, which is what I use. A 10x10' is just about right, of course 12x12 is better :)

Note that the 1.25" mats have FREE SHIPPING, which makes them really appealing. $250 for a 5x10 with free shipping, whereas the 2" mats (which I've never seen) do NOT have free shipping which makes the price disproportionately higher.

Thanks so much bro!

BTW, I wanted to get a pic of both mats, side by side, unrolled with me on them so those wondering how much room that is would have a good idea, but our basement was too much of a mess to get those done on short notice. Maybe when I'm back from San Diego...

I got my mats last week. They're 10'x10'. I live in an apartment and don't have too much space. I'm looking to buy one more 5'x10' mat. Overall I'm very happy with these mats. We use Dollamur mats at my gym and I think they're awesome.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

I just got a a 10x14" mats from Dolamur on their ebay site. I just want to echo everything said here. They. Kick. Ass. I need about 6 more for my school.

I'll go ahead and give my 2 cents.

I've been wrestling on Swain/Dollamur/Flexi-roll mats for a long time. They are truly great. To address some of your concerns: The long term durability of these is outstanding. The mat surface (which connects the foam pieces) will not tear unless you try and cut it. If you do need to cut them, it is very easy to do with utility knife. We use these mats as our competition mats at school. Our mat in the wrestling room is a Resilite. Resilite is heavier, and is probably a better choice for a permanent mat that won't be moved (like a wrestling room mat) while the Dollamur is great for it's weight and portability.

In a couple days i'll post pics of my garage mat. Resilite 1.5" thick, 24x24, three pieces.

I can't wait to order one of these.

I got my mats last week. They're 10'x10'. I live in an apartment and don't have too much space. I'm looking to buy one more 5'x10' mat. Overall I'm very happy with these mats. We use Dollamur mats at my gym and I think they're awesome.

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

El Jefe, you live in Irvine?? those garages look like a place i was thinking of moving into,, do you have enough space to roll?

El Jefe, you live in Irvine?? those garages look like a place i was thinking of moving into,, do you have enough space to roll?

I used to live in Irvine, but I live in Mission Viejo now. It's further from my gym, but I like it more. The 10x10 fit perfectly inside the garage. It's enough room to do technique and some light (starting out on knees) rolling. Practicing takedowns is good, but since you only have a limitied amount of space, it would be hard to practice takedowns at 100%. I want to get one more 5x10 piece. I think that'll be enough room.

cool thanks, i just ordered one and a month or so ill probably get another,, thx for the info El Jefe and good review BTG

Here are the pictures of the my mat at home.

Specs: Resilite, 24x24, 1.5 inches thick, 3 pieces.

Mat
IMG_2179.jpg

Me and '96 Olympic champ Kendall Cross

IMG_2176.jpg

To bacon and the other guys, how much did all of these mats cost you?

supertac,, that is a really nice set up u got there..

on a side note i thought about having just one 5x10 but since im moving, the wifey wouldnt let me spend that kind of cash,, took advice from here regarding ebay and ended up winning two 6x4 mats for $140..

To bacon and the other guys, how much did all of these mats cost you?

List price is $249 for the 5x10' with free shipping. It goes up to like $299 for a 5'x10' that's thicker, but then shipping is freakin' 99 bucks or something.

I got some of these off of ebay. I think they are some of the best mats around

Back