REVIEW: Combat Sports Int. MMA Training Gloves

PhenøM

MMA Gear Aficionado
Reaction score
TG4.JPG

http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf2.aspx?ID=22292

I am keeping this simple.

Pros:

- Excellent padding and protection, according to my two sparring partners.

- Wrist Strap with Velcro is very sturdy and nice.

- Range of motion in your hands is awesome, padding is not excessive and does not hinder your grip.

Cons:

- Finger Loop Wholes are irritating at first, but once you work the glove in it is fine.

- Large is a little tight on my hand, and it is the biggest size available. EDIT: Joe has told me in Mid-Jan they will be getting in XL Sizes! AWESOME!

- Material inside in the glove feels good at first, but gets a tad rough after a some use, not alot but a little, turns knuckles red. Since I couldnt fit wraps under the glove, I used sports tape, worked great.

Improvements that could be made:

- Another ounce or two padding would make the glove unstoppable!

- I wish hey would add some kind of soft material on the ends of the finger loops so it doesn't rub into the webbing of your fingers.

- Add an XL size (Being done!)

- Possibly extend the length of the the finger loops so the pressure is distributed more evenly.

In conclusion, the Pros I feel easily outway the Cons so I give these gloves 4/5. Considering I hate finger loops, this is a damn good score. These are the gloves you saw on TUF2. I do prefer these over the primetime because of the extra padding. Plus I just saw CSi has discounted the gloves by 10 dollars. If you don't have a grappling glove this is the one to get!

SSF said:
Thanks for the review. I'll have to try them out. Do they get in the way of chokes?

www.SSFgear.com

Very VERY little Ron, ie A RNC you may have to move your hand up an half an inch so you can get full pressure, but alternatively you could grab your wrist/Hand and yank on that bad boy. I was doing triangles legs and arms, anacondas, arm bars, leg locks, heel holds, kimuras, was just trying everything and these did NOT get in the way.

Great Review! Thank you so much for doing that!

Awesome review Phenom I'll have to look into them when it comes time to get some new gloves

We appreciate the review, the XL size is actually on the way. It should arrive to us on the 17th of January when they get in I will let you know and we will exchange the size out for you. If you need anything you know how to contact me..

Thanks again
Joe M

This review sets the standard for how all reviews should be written. Nice job Phenom!

Thanks for the words guys, I will keep it up. Editted the post a tad with a direct link so you can check the gloves out yourself and also added that Joe confirmed XL sizes will be out in Mid-Jan!

I wonder if, in addition to a larger size, any of those other things will be addressed...

[QUOTE=Phen

b0necrusher said:
I wonder if, in addition to a larger size, any of those other things will be addressed...

I'd really love to order a pair or two, but I'd hold off if I knew improvements were just down the line. And if I knew they were making those improvements that would definately sway my decision to buy these gloves as opposed to some other brand.
Hmmmm...

Maybe you should come down here and check them out yourself and give your own review. We are in Kansas City. You have that advantage over everyone else here on this forum.

Constant improvement and innovation is something we have always done well here at Ringside and Combat Sports. We want nothing but the best for our athletes and our customers. Come down here and check it out sometime.

-Joe M

Props on the thorough review Phenom!

Just a suggestion, we should start a branch within the gear and equipment discussion forum just strictly for reviews that way it'd be easy to find feedback for items we are interested in getting

I got a pair of these gloves and thought the padding was much to hard to spar in. I never tried to break them in or anything and sold them on instead.

Did you have this problem also Phenom? I know a few ppl on this board have also commented on the padding being to hard

Everything on the glove is stiff initially. I spent probably an hr of working in each glove seperately folding them horizontally and vertically before usign and it really did help. If they are also too stiff you can use a dab and when I say dab I mean real small amount of glove oil that you use to work in baseball mits and that softens it a tad. If you dont know what I mean by workign in I could probably ue my shitty camera and do a lil video.

Also forgot to add that these gloves are good for grappling and sparring, but common sense should tell you not to wind up and unload on your partner, I am not saying completely pull punches but bombing away is what heavy bags are for. Also your partner should be wearing protective headgear, not completely relying on the padding of the glove.

COMBATSPORTS said:
Maybe you should come down here and check them out yourself and give your own review. We are in Kansas City. You have that advantage over everyone else here on this forum.

Constant improvement and innovation is something we have always done well here at Ringside and Combat Sports. We want nothing but the best for our athletes and our customers. Come down here and check it out sometime.

-Joe M

OH SNAP! I didn't realize you were in KC! That's awesome! Where abouts in KC? I'd LOVE to check out what you've got! I've been really impressed with your selection on the website, and those gloves are getting nothing but great reviews!

edit=DOUBLE SNAP! I just yahoo-mapped the address that's on the website, and I work about 2 blocks from your location!

b0necrusher said:
edit=DOUBLE SNAP! I just yahoo-mapped the address that's on the website, and I work about 2 blocks from your location!

lol, I think the new Sherdog advertisments should use this. "Sherdog...helping to bring MMA fans together." :wink: Sadly I feel left out :icon_cry2

Back