Reverse Mount Points?

DutchMafia

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything talking about this so I thought I would ask the question.

We have a number of folks that ref in here so I thought this was the place to ask. Does the IBJJF (and therfore NAGA/GC/etc.) award points for a reverse mount?

i don't think so.

If you want 4 points you need to do traditional mount.

4 points only for proper mount. Why would you want to be in "reverse mount" anyway?

I couldn't find anything talking about this so I thought I would ask the question.

We have a number of folks that ref in here so I thought this was the place to ask. Does the IBJJF (and therfore NAGA/GC/etc.) award points for a reverse mount?

Even if you are mounted you still are giving up your back.....so this is a bad position. No sense giving points for a bad position.

Even if you are mounted you still are giving up your back.....so this is a bad position. No sense giving points for a bad position.

uhh... no?

try it, have someone (about the same skill level and size as you) get reverse mount on you, and see if you can take his back.

I'm guessing the BB you quoted probably has a few escapes for it!

I'm guessing the BB you quoted probably has a few escapes for it!

Well I'm sure he does, there are a few escapes for every position and I'm sure he knows them. My point was just that you're not really "giving up your back" just by being reverse-mounted on someone, and I don't see how you can call it a "bad position," it's definitely a dominant position and a very dangerous one for the guy on bottom if you're in a situation where leglocks are legal--kneebars and toeholds are there for the taking.

Of course the guy on top could get his back taken if he tries to go for a kneebar and fails, but that's a risk anytime you go for a kneebar.

In no way is this a bad postion. It literally sucks the life out of someone when done right. Think about it, all of your body weight is down on the opponets chest and you have the legs wrapped up and pulled back. In addition it's easy to get to. When you're in side control everyone expects you to try and mount the traditional way. If you reverse mount by swining one's leg past the head, it catches the opponet off guard. Also try stoping a leg moving at full force with one's arm. Both Stephan Kesting and Din Thomas have provided a number of attacks that can be executed from the postion. I've also been working on developing some transitions to 50/50, Scarf Hold and various other postions from the Reverse Mount.

I've still not seen a definitive answer as to whether points are awarded. I've had some folks tell me yes and others no.

In no way is this a bad postion. It literally sucks the life out of someone when done right. Think about it, all of your body weight is down on the opponets chest and you have the legs wrapped up and pulled back. In addition it's easy to get to. When you're in side control everyone expects you to try and mount the traditional way. If you reverse mount by swining one's leg past the head, it catches the opponet off guard. Also try stoping a leg moving at full force with one's arm. Both Stephan Kesting and Din Thomas have provided a number of attacks that can be executed from the postion. I've also been working on developing some transitions to 50/50, Scarf Hold and various other postions from the Reverse Mount.

I've still not seen a definitive answer as to whether points are awarded. I've had some folks tell me yes and others no.

If you say so........what keeps the guy from wrapping his arms around your waist or grabbing your belt.:eek:

my instructor said "this, this position is no points, its kama sutra, but no points"

Reverse Cowgirl receives no points :icon_chee

Damn, the only reason I came into this thread was to make a Reverse Cowgirl crack...

My take on the position is that its obviously advantageous to be on top, but it is far from ideal and I would never purposely attempt to land there...not to say I haven't landed there in a scramble type situation, but I wouldn't seek it out, points or no points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back