Reverse mount as a control position?

Graciebarra 847

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I train primarily in the gi and I have noticed myself in reverse mount. From reverse mount there are many attacks such as toeholds and kneebars! In gi competition being that I am a blue they don't allow these attacks.

Has anyone used reverse mount as a control position. Meaning you can control your opponent for a few minutes with it and stall? Also is the transition getting to mount and side control easy? Usually I jump from north south to reverse mount and go for leglocks. I was wondering if I could use it as a postion to control someone and not necessarily look for a submission.

I heard somewhere that you don't get the 4 points for reverse mount. I don't know if that's true.

I've used it a few times in training, sort of on accident, like when a guy was close to passing my guard and I went inverted and then closed my guard on him inverted and swept him into reverse mount.

You can hold the guy there but it's kind of boring in training if you can't do leglocks. I usually just try to go to north-south or side control from reverse mount.

I heard somewhere that you don't get the 4 points for reverse mount. I don't know if that's true.

I've used it a few times in training, sort of on accident, like when a guy was close to passing my guard and I went inverted and then closed my guard on him inverted and swept him into reverse mount.

You can hold the guy there but it's kind of boring in training if you can't do leglocks. I usually just try to go to north-south or side control from reverse mount.

I agree it's boring but I am going to try to use it as a control position and see how it works for me. I pretty much have been able to jump in that position from North South with ease every time. In the gi it's not going to be as effective as in no-gi being that kneebars and toehold are off limits for white and bluebelts.

I agree it's boring but I am going to try to use it as a control position and see how it works for me. I pretty much have been able to jump in that position from North South with ease every time. In the gi it's not going to be as effective as in no-gi being that kneebars and toehold are off limits for white and bluebelts.

Well if you find it very easy to get reverse mount, then it should also be pretty easy for you to get a reverse mounted triangle. Why don't you try that? Then you can either finish the triangle or do a kimura or pressing armbar on the free arm.

^^ thats what i was thinking.

i would also be pulling you backwards by the gi like a mofo.

Not so much submission available (at least in the gi) and no points awarded for it (I asked my teacher once)... I prefer a transition into side control, though I would be curious to know if points for guard passing would be awarded once you get there from reverse mount.

Anyway, I think that as a merely control position should be good..

Well if you find it very easy to get reverse mount, then it should also be pretty easy for you to get a reverse mounted triangle. Why don't you try that? Then you can either finish the triangle or do a kimura or pressing armbar on the free arm.

I saw this my 1st day of training ever.

I was like "i do not want to be the guy on bottom"

there was definitely some butt sweat

I saw this my 1st day of training ever.

I was like "i do not want to be the guy on bottom"

there was definitely some butt sweat

Reverse mounted triangle is a truly miserable position to get caught in. Watch Mike Pyle vs. John Hathaway from the last UFC, Pyle cinches up the triangle just tight enough that it won't choke him out, and just uses the position to pound on Hathaway's face and make him smell his balls for at least a full minute. Hathaway had a huge swollen lump on his head at the end of the round, and he looked mentally broken after that.

I train primarily in the gi and I have noticed myself in reverse mount. From reverse mount there are many attacks such as toeholds and kneebars! In gi competition being that I am a blue they don't allow these attacks.

Has anyone used reverse mount as a control position. Meaning you can control your opponent for a few minutes with it and stall? Also is the transition getting to mount and side control easy? Usually I jump from north south to reverse mount and go for leglocks. I was wondering if I could use it as a postion to control someone and not necessarily look for a submission.

You can use it to control, the way I learned it is to weave one of my arms underneath both of my partners legs (like on the underside of their knees) to grab my own kneecap to control their hips. From there you can release and go to knee on belly, back to north/south or to side mount relatively easily. (or reverse knee on belly).

That being said, I don't like it all that much as a control position, I think it works better as an in between position from certain guard passes or scrambles and is best used as a place to attack immediately from with leg locks.

I don't usually do a reverse mount, but i do like to sit straight on someones face when i can and then kimura or amrbar them.

Like this

facesit.jpg

I like the position but wouldn't want to hangout there for long....... Seems like a good way to get your back taken. Hip bump, push but/hips away, apply hooks.

I did spin for a nasty knee bar from top half guard yesterday tho!

I don't usually do a reverse mount, but i do like to sit straight on someones face when i can and then kimura or amrbar them.

Like this

facesit.jpg

That's exactly what I was talking about. If you just figure-four your legs, you also have a mounted reverse triangle choke.

I end up in reverse mount quite a bit. It's one of my favorite guard pass counters on a guy that stands up to pass my guard... I spin on my back/shoulders, re-lock the reverse guard, and sweep them to their back. It absolutely takes guys off guard.

Obviously, the reverse triangle is there, but I worked out a modified gogoplata that I like better. I back up and get the back of my knee deep into their armpit, then work my foot back so the bottom of my foot is cradling his head, then reach back and pull my foot up across his neck. Then just sit back and let my weight press the choke. If I want to finish the choke from there, I grab the OTHER side arm and pull up, while pushing down with my ass/foot on their neck. If I can't quite finish the choke, I'll attack one of the arms. One time I had the RIGHT leg gogoplata so deep that I was able to hook my left foot on top of my heel, so my legs were in a backwards full nelson position. VERY uncomfortable and HUGE pressure for the choke, plus it trapped both arms. Wicked kitten of a move...

And by the way, the easiest way I've found out of reverse mount is to control one wrist with the near side hand, post the other hand on their opposite knee, then kick your leg over into a wrestler's sit out side control, dropping your ribcage onto their chest to keep their back flat. Quickly remove and replace the hand on the knee as you kick over and you'll be in great shape to hip switch and replace the mount, or knee on stomach.

I don't really use it for a control position. Toe holds and kneebars are certainly there (I prefer toe holds). But more often I'll catch them from a reverse knee on belly. I feel I get more pressure there. Of course, he can go for your foot as well.

Telles, galvao, and lovi all do a reverse knee on belly/reverse mount sequence that is pretty crazy.

you can just go to side control and get kimura from there

Back