• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Returning to the mat after second vaccine...

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What’s up, Sherdog?
Has anybody waited to come back to the regular class until they got their second vaccine? I know lots of you just trained like normal. I got my second vaccine today. I’m training at 6 am with one partner twice a week at the moment. I’m thinking about joining the regular class in two weeks.
Is anybody else in the same boat as me? What do you think? Just back to normal? How responsible do you need to be?
Thanks.

If you have gone this long without training and following protocol, then you might as well wait a few days after your second dose to give your body a chance to build up the antibodies and make sure you don't have any adverse reactions.

After that, you are fine to continue training as regular.
mom is moderna/johnson&johnson consultant

My cooperating school district put student teachers in the last vaccine tier then canceled two clinics :(

Really missing training, but dad's got leukemia and I'm taking care of him so I don't want to risk it until I'm vaccinated.

How did you feel after the second shot? I've heard it's rough.

Also, glad you're back in the states! Hope the world tour didn't get cut too short .

40960404.jpg

Once you are two weeks clear of your second vaccination, you should be good to go.

This is what I did with significant medical support. The recent information showing the almost negligible asymptomatic transmission rates (one of the earlier concerns) sealed the deal.

My cooperating school district put student teachers in the last vaccine tier then canceled two clinics :(

Really missing training, but dad's got leukemia and I'm taking care of him so I don't want to risk it until I'm vaccinated.

How did you feel after the second shot? I've heard it's rough.

Also, glad you're back in the states! Hope the world tour didn't get cut too short .
No problem at all. I had the Pfizer shot. The trip was great! 28 countries. I trained in 15. I taught in 7.

So, I start training in two weeks with unvaccinated people. I can still transmit COVID to people on or off the mat. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’m thinking of widening my training pod, but not training with whoever.

It's been two weeks since my second vaccination, and I'm leaning toward going back, but I don't feel great about it. I'll probably train just once a week for now with very little rolling.

I am about to get my second shot in a few weeks but dont normally train Jujitsu. Is that one of the side effects?

So, I start training in two weeks with unvaccinated people. I can still transmit COVID to people on or off the mat. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’m thinking of widening my training pod, but not training with whoever.

I haven't trained since March. I get my second shot in three weeks. My wife hasn't gotten her shot yet, so I'm not going to be training again until she gets her shots. As you've said, vaccinated doesn't means you aren't transmissable, though I am hoping that as more data comes in, we find that vaccination is effective in breaking transmission chains.

Without data like that, my plan is to start training with a few vaccinated people once my wife is vaccinated. As far as training in an open setting with just whoever, I don't plan to do that until the CDC recommendation is for people to go out in public without masks.

I think we are arriving at the same sentiment, which is that even though we are safe, we feel obligated to protect others with continued responsible distancing. I took a year off of jiu jitsu, I don't mind adding 6 months or 8 months to that time frame to be on the safe side. It sucks, but that's just how it is.

What’s up, Sherdog?
Has anybody waited to come back to the regular class until they got their second vaccine? I know lots of you just trained like normal. I got my second vaccine today. I’m training at 6 am with one partner twice a week at the moment. I’m thinking about joining the regular class in two weeks.
Is anybody else in the same boat as me? What do you think? Just back to normal? How responsible do you need to be?
Thanks.

My wife made me stop wrestling during the pandemic, I returned to practice two weeks after my second shot. From what I understand the data suggests that being fully vaccinated stops the transmission of Covid 19 , but not all of data is in, so the CDC is erroring on the side of caution and telling fully vaccinated people to wear masks, and to wait for the data before going back to normal. The guys whom I have been wrestling with, never stopped during the Pandemic, and apparently have no qualms about the risks, so I decided to return to the mat.

I was vaccinated with Moderna, the second shot of Moderna, gave me a fever, body aches, and joint aches for about 36 hours. My wife, sister in law, and Mother all got Pfizer and none of them experienced any side effects.

I and a bunch of my co workers got covid .
About 10 at work have been fully vaccinated now. 3 of those had worst symptoms than I had with covid from the vaccine. No big deal they just felt sick as hell for a day and couldn't come in to work from the second shot. They came back the next day and are fine.
Only know one person who has taken the one shot vaccine and they felt crummy for one day

Common thread has been the second shot making guys feel sick. In the end sick for a day is nothing compared to what could happen to vulnerable people

I'll try to find the study, but the recent findings from Israel is that there is less than 10% chance of asymptomatic transmission for fully vaccinated individuals, and they felt even that # is high. The medical individuals I've consulted with felt secure in that the likelihood of transmission from fully vaccinated to unvaccinated is extremely low. I've played this safe, took a year off training, but feel comfortable training now. My kids have greater risk at school than they do from me.

i'm glad to hear you're taking it this seriously, too few people are.

you can transmit it even after being vaccinated, but the viral load should be really low, so it is unlikely you would spread this to anyone. but it's not impossible.

I haven't trained since Mar 2020. I'm in the last group to get the vaccine so I'll be waiting a while longer. From what I've read, you should give the second dose a few weeks to have its effect. I read in an AMA by Johns Hopkins that they anticipate that even if it's possible for a vaccinated person to carry the virus, based on previous viruses they expect the viral load to be very low and therefore not very dangerous (like randomg1t said).

Even still, I'm not planning to train again until my wife and her parents (who are in the at-risk age group) get their shots, too. I've been lucky that I can work from home and was able to figure out getting more things through delivery or no-contact pickup. Once I get vaccinated, I'll likely start by training in a small pod with another vaccinated person or two. I know plenty of people who kept training like there was nothing to worry about (or made a half effort to do loose pods), but I was also dealing with a major family health crisis for most of 2020 in the midst of the pandemic and as a caretaker I wasn't going to take any extra risks.

Back