Retron 5

In before people start replying that their PCs and phones can do this for free.

For people that want to use their actual carts and controllers and while doing it through HDMI, I think it's a great solution. It's still emulated but it looks pretty spot on from what I've seen so far.

If someone can find a way to hack the SD card slot to allow ROMs to be ran from it then I'll certainly buy it just to have an easy way to put old games on my TV.

In before people start replying that their PCs and phones can do this for free.

For people that want to use their actual carts and controllers and while doing it through HDMI, I think it's a great solution. It's still emulated but it looks pretty spot on from what I've seen so far.

If someone can find a way to hack the SD card slot to allow ROMs to be ran from it then I'll certainly buy it just to have an easy way to put old games on my TV.

Well..What's to discuss in this thread?..You took all the fun out of it.

Also yes my PC can do that while being hooked up to my TV via HDMI

PC's can't play cartridges.

This is a must buy.

What's the point then? Like you said, PC.

Best use of a retron isn't playing the games on it, it's copying the roms off your physical nintendo tapes to your PC. Bizhawk is better emulation than the retron by a fair bit, and the dual shock 4 is a better controller than the NES pad. By a LOT.

How exactly would one know it has better emulation than something not even on the market yet?

The Retron is for catridges, and no the dual shock isn't better for playing NES games than a NES gamepad (which is also far more durable, I know because I still have the same ones I have had since the 80's and they've been thrown at walls many many times). I feel people are arguing apples and oranges here. PC emulation and catridge based emulation are different affairs and have different pluses and minuses, and I emulate arcade games so I'm not out of my element here.

How exactly would one know it has better emulation than something not even on the market yet?

The Retron is for catridges, and no the dual shock isn't better for playing NES games than a NES gamepad (which is also far more durable, I know because I still have the same ones I have had since the 80's and they've been thrown at walls many many times). I feel people are arguing apples and oranges here. PC emulation and catridge based emulation are different affairs and have different pluses and minuses, and I emulate arcade games so I'm not out of my element here.

One problem is the Retron isn't playing games from the cart. When you insert the cart it dumps the cart to memory and plays from there.

One good thing though is it is using a new method for emulation that is supposed to be extremely close to the actual hardware and they are boasting near 100% compatibility including emulating the extra sound channels like in Castlevania 3 which most emulators fail at.

If you have a ton of carts, you want to use the original controllers and accessories and want a cheap way to do it on a TV with HDMI, I don't see how you could do any better for $140.

This video makes me want one. I just wish you could play ROMs from the SD card slot. I think someone will find a way.

I know it's not all that accurate emulation because it's running weak ass phone hardware.

Back