Retired UFC fighters fighting in different promotions

MichaelT

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was thinking about this, but if someone like Khabib, or Conor decided to round up his record to 30-0 by smashing a can over at Bum FC, MVP style, keeping the fan lashback etc out of it, is there anything stopping them?

Like, would that kind of fight not get sanctioned etc, or can these guys just go fight in a small time promotion and pad their records if they wanted?

When you retire you are still under UFC contract so won't happen. To do anything outside of UFC you need to be released from your contract.

If they're under UFC contract then no.

If they're not under UFC contract then sure. MMA commissions will sanction pretty much anything.

Retirement = frozen contract and I don't think Khabib finished his but I could be wrong. Mark Bocek cried about not getting released when he retired and no one cared.

Khabib could tear up his UFC contract and fight in Russia, locally only. He could fill their largest stadium and be the largest Russia TV event in history. It just wouldn't be broadcast anywhere else in the world.

If anyone thinks the UFC contract is valid in every country around the world, they are wrong. Particularly a country where a fighter has government support.

Depends if they have an frozen UFC contract. Retiring doesn't wipe the slate clean.

Back