Rest days

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JerseyTrash, Apr 20, 2008.

1. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

I'm perfectly capable of going down to the gym today, but I've been training every day, often twice a day. I'm sure it's just like lifting weights where you need some actual rest days. This is killing me though.

2. Rowan11088

Rowan11088 Purple Belt

Not really. If you feel good, go. If you don't feel like it, don't. Most people take at least 1 day a week off, but if your training isn't super-grueling that isn't absolutely necessary. You need rest after lifts to rebuild muscle, but cardio you can build day in and day out, all week long. When your body needs to repair, you will feel it.

Don't burn yourself out though. Mental overtraining is perhaps more problematic than physical.

3. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

Well, i figured I was using muscle that needed to be repaired. Also, the constant banging around, jarring of your body, etc would take it's toll. Oh well. Class has already been going for 45 minutes and it'd be pointless to show up now.

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Brown Belt

You are using muscle that needs to be repaired. REST. If you train twice a day, I'd cut it down to 5x/week and rest 2 days. But that's me.

5. Paige

Paige Orange Belt

yeah, either that or get a pretty decent injury. that'll give you a BJJ vacation.

6. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

This lead to me tearing my achilles partially and having horrible charlie-horses from lack of hydration most days. Now I am on a 3-6 month BJJ vacation which really sucks. Take time to take care of yourself. REST!!!

7. sdbb

sdbb Red Belt

Where do you train?

8. Bama Zulu

Bama Zulu Blue Belt

Should have just went and practiced light. Don't let your ego get in the way of your thinking "Well I trained all week so.....". It just gets easier and easier not to go.

9. kimurense

kimurense Brown Belt

I train weight lifting (bill star 5x5 prog) and do bjj 2x plus sub wrestling 1 a week.. I have to say, I am always nakered, but I sleep like 12hours on saturday and sunday.. that's when I get my rest