Request rating for books

MisterSambo

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am actually looking for buying some new books about grappling. So could you give me your advice about the following books if you know them:

- Passing the Guard; from Ed Beneville
- Brazillian Jiu Jitsu - The Path to the Black Belt; from Kid Peligro
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Master Techniques - The Essential Guard; from Kid Peligro
- Complete Idiot's Guide to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu; from Carley Gracie
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Basics - Mastering the essential technics; from Gene Simco
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: For Experts only: Classic Jiu Jitsu Techniques from the Master; from Carslson Gracie
- Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Volume 1; from Rigan Machado
- Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Volume 2; from Rigan Machado
- Encyclopedia of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: Volume 3; from Rigan Machado
- Grappling; from Christian Braun
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Techniques; from Jean Jacques Machado
- Brazilian Ju Jitsu No Holds Barred Fighting Techniques; from Rodrigo Gracie
- The Essence of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu; from Rigan Machado
- Mastering JuJitsu; from Renzo Gracie

Just for my background. I am actually a green belt in Sambo: I allready know the basics so I am actually searching for something advanced with new stuff to learn. I am also searching specially No Gi and MMA instructionals as I want to become a proffessional fighter in about a year at least. Actually I had allready amateur fights (2 - 1 - 0) in MMA and I am searching some good books who can help me improve my grappling part. Thanks for any answer

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Techniques; from Jean Jacques Machado

the only one I actually own, and I can say it's fantastic. I suppose it's great for gi players, but theres plenty of nogi stuff in there too. Very great stuff and some background oppinions by JJM on jujitsu theory and technique. It's a good read.

~Foz

What Fozzy said, plus I'd like to add to your list... Submission Grappling by Royler Gracie (I think that's what it's called). This is not the one he did with Renzo, but a solo book that's all no-gi.

ps: if anyone wants like, a scan of a pages from JJM Black belt techniques, tell me via PM and i'll scan em and post em here for everyone...

~Foz

Fozzy said:
ps: if anyone wants like, a scan of a pages from JJM Black belt techniques, tell me via PM and i'll scan em and post em here for everyone...

~Foz

Be careful with stuff like that. That's copyright infringement. You could get the forum into trouble.

amazon has sample pages though as long as he isnt uploading the whole book but just showing you a sample to see if you like the format i dont see how thats bad

I can comment on Eddie Bravo's Jiu Jitsu Unleashed...fantastic. Have had no experience with others though as they are generally a bit spendy for me.

Madmick said:
Be careful with stuff like that. That's copyright infringement. You could get the forum into trouble.

yeah only like a sample page, so people who were say picking it up in a bookstore could see a page, why shouldnt a user who is lplanning to buy it get to see a sample page?

~Foz

Passing the guard is great.

Also Ulatamite fighting techniques by Royce is fantastic.

I have The Essence of BJJ by Rigan Machado and it's not that great. It pretty much just shows pictures of different submissions and doesn't really give many details on how to pull them off. I just bought Eddie Bravo's book and it is layed out alot better and gives great detail. It's a little advanced for me as a am a beginner in bjj but I'm sure I'll refer to it later in my grappling career. Can anybody give any advice on good instructionals for a beginner to learn the basics whether it be book or dvd?

Fozzy said:
yeah only like a sample page, so people who were say picking it up in a bookstore could see a page, why shouldnt a user who is lplanning to buy it get to see a sample page?

~Foz

Oh, just a page? No, nobody would get pissed about that. I thought you were going to scan an entire sequence or a chapter, or something. If you did what Amazon does, you'd probably get into trouble. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain they get that deal from the publishers because they're Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back