Renzo Gracie gym in nyc

NiRinLove

Blue Belt
Reaction score
anynoe goes there? i am thinking about joining. i checked in their site about the prices but i dont see any. can someone tell me the prices there? and how are the classes there. i dont want to only learn bjj but also do the muy thai training also that they have there.

any information would be great. along with feedbacks from people who has gone there. reviews!

there was a thread about this quite recently; if you go back a few pages you will find it. Apparently it's an awesome place to train. As for the prices, no-one seems to know....not even the people that train there:icon_conf

Thread here: price would appear to be $207 per month for 3 classes a week, with a more expensive unlimited option (this guy mentioned that for the 'purple belt program' - which presumably is for blue belts working towards the purple - its $234 a month).

i would want to train BJJ but also take advantage of the muy thai classes they have there. can i do that for the same monthly price or do i have to pay more?

I started a a thread a bout this a few weeks back.

The price goes from 207+ depending on yur skill level. There is also a one year commitment. Muay thai is not included, you have to pay extra.

And from what I hear Renzo's is well worth the price.

I trained there as a one off a couple of years ago, and a single class on the purple belt program cost me something like $25.

I started a a thread a bout this a few weeks back.

The price goes from 207+ depending on yur skill level. There is also a one year commitment. Muay thai is not included, you have to pay extra.

And from what I hear Renzo's is well worth the price.

do u no how much extra it would be with muy thai added?

do u no how much extra it would be with muy thai added?

I think its and extra 40-60 bucks.
Yes Renzo's is expensive as hell, but it's worth it. But don't underestimate the other places in NYC if you can't afford RGA.

I think its and extra 40-60 bucks.
Yes Renzo's is expensive as hell, but it's worth it. But don't underestimate the other places in NYC if you can't afford RGA.

so monthly if i want muy thai/bjj it woul dclose to 300... dang.. well what are other schools in the nyc area thats concentrated on MMA. i am not that interested in bjj tournaments. i want to be well rounded as soon as possible. so which place would be my best bet. if theres no better place for mma (bjj/wrestling/muy thai) then renzos then ya i will cough up the 300/monthly =/... sigh.

do u know if i can immeditately get both bjj and muy thai, or do i have to be doing bjj for awhile in order to get the access for muy thai classes.

i dont understand how people still seem not to be able to comprehend that this isnt the renzo gracie academy...this is sherdog......

GO TO THE ACADEMY AND ASK THEM!!!!!!!!!!

zankou, lock these threads already man, or make me a mod already...i got mad posts and stuff, what does a man have to do to be a mod on this site??????/

i believe it involves a lot of north-south action :redface:

so monthly if i want muy thai/bjj it woul dclose to 300... dang.. well what are other schools in the nyc area thats concentrated on MMA. i am not that interested in bjj tournaments. i want to be well rounded as soon as possible. so which place would be my best bet. if theres no better place for mma (bjj/wrestling/muy thai) then renzos then ya i will cough up the 300/monthly =/... sigh.

I think this is one of the biggest myths in the world of MMA today...The idea that you don't have to learn any individual arts and could just concentrate on MMA from the start. It just doesn't work that way. It's like saying that you don't want to train to be a good swimmer, or runner, you just want to concentrate on being a tri-athlete...You have to become proficient in each discipline independent from each other first, and then start to mesh them together later in a way that fits your strengths and weaknesses.

It's no coincidence that the top 3 p4p fighters in the world right now by most opinions are Fedor, Silva, and GSP. If you look at their backgrounds, they each have blackbelts in at least one discipline and train at very advanced levels in other disciplines to become "complete fighters."

I think this is one of the biggest myths in the world of MMA today...The idea that you don't have to learn any individual arts and could just concentrate on MMA from the start. It just doesn't work that way. It's like saying that you don't want to train to be a good swimmer, or runner, you just want to concentrate on being a tri-athlete...You have to become proficient in each discipline independent from each other first, and then start to mesh them together later in a way that fits your strengths and weaknesses.

It's no coincidence that the top 3 p4p fighters in the world right now by most opinions are Fedor, Silva, and GSP. If you look at their backgrounds, they each have blackbelts in at least one discipline and train at very advanced levels in other disciplines to become "complete fighters."

good post

well those are the 2 conflicting schools of thought when it comes to proper MMA training.

we don't know enough about MMA yet to know the truth however, as it is still evolving.

lets say 2 kids started training for MMA right now at the age of 5. 1 trains strictly MMA as a sport; no specialization, just MMA everything. grappling w/ gloves, training striking while worrying about takedowns, cage awareness. the other starts by mastering jiu jitsu first, then moves on to specialize in striking and wrestling before combining everything. when these kids become 20 year olds, who would be the better MMA fighter?

theoretically assuming that both kids are identical in physical ability and in their intangibles like heart and intelligence, i can honestly say that i have no idea.

well those are the 2 conflicting schools of thought when it comes to proper MMA training.

we don't know enough about MMA yet to know the truth however, as it is still evolving.

lets say 2 kids started training for MMA right now at the age of 5. 1 trains strictly MMA as a sport; no specialization, just MMA everything. grappling w/ gloves, training striking while worrying about takedowns, cage awareness. the other starts by mastering jiu jitsu first, then moves on to specialize in striking and wrestling before combining everything. when these kids become 20 year olds, who would be the better MMA fighter?

theoretically assuming that both kids are identical in physical ability and in their intangibles like heart and intelligence, i can honestly say that i have no idea.

That was a pretty lengthy argument to ultimately conclude that, "i can honestly say that i have no idea." LOL

Don't get me wrong, I understand the point you are trying to make, the sport hasn't been around long enough to truly know what the best training methods are. However, based on what we have seen up until this point, we always see that most successful fighters have been previously successful in some other fighting discipline, whether it be wrestling, jiu-jitsu, kickboxing (muay thai), judo, karate, etc. Obviously, if you know early on that you want to compete in MMA, the earlier you start to apply techniques in an MMA enviorment, the better.

We could go on forever about this topic and really get nowhere, but let me just use an example you gave to make my point. You gave the example of a 5year old kid that trains "grappling w/ gloves, training striking while worrying about takedowns, cage awareness." If he is practcing his takedown defense with someone that also has only trained in MMA (i'm still not sure what that means) and not with someone who is a true wrestler, then his takedown defense will be weak and limited because his training partner will not shoot with the same effectiveness as a true wrestler. My point being that if you want to have a solid wrestling game, wrestle with wrestlers. If you want to have good jiu-jitsu or at least good submission defense, roll with jiu-jitsu guys. If you want good that stand up, spar with boxers and/or kickboxers.

Back