Rent in NYC **UPDATE: Average Tops $5k

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UPDATE:
The average monthly rent in Manhattan has hit a record $5,000 a month, and renters are struggling to pay it.
CBS2's Natalie Duddridge bumped into Mike Dias just as he was rushing to see an apartment in Hell's Kitchen to beat the other bidders.

One couple who just moved from the West Coast to New York says they are priced out of one bedrooms, so they're looking at studios, and even that is a challenge.
"Our budget is around $3,500, so it's been pretty hard to find anything," one person said.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/manhattan-record-high-rent-august-2022/

I remember during the pandemic I was paying as low as $2,200 for a studio. Crazy times, everyone comes flying back to NYC
https://qz.com/2172884/good-luck-finding-a-one-bedroom-in-nyc-if-you-dont-make-155k/
Manhattan landlords are rejecting single tenants who don’t make over 160k

The median monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan reached $3,995 in April, a record 38% year-over-year increase and well above pre-pandemic levels, data from the real estate brokerage Douglas Elliman showed.

The median studio rent was $2,994 in Manhattan and $2,674 in Brooklyn for the month of April.

Last edited:
Oh those silly yankees.

Agent posts a listing.

Within hours 50 applicants show up at the same time to open house

I watched an episode of Seinfeld and George said his rent was $2300 a month. It was a decent sized apartment and it was around 1998 when the show aired. That’s unfathomable for me. The most rent I ever paid in mid Michigan was a small two bedroom home for $700 a month. Right after I got married so it was split between my wife and I.

NYC is a truly great city...

giphy.gif

Many landlords lost there ass during the pandemic and now they have to price in the risk that the government will once again cancel rent. Yet again government sticking their fkn nose in an industry has made it worse. Every time they "help"...they distort and destroy. Just like they were helping kids get student loans by guaranteeing them. Now college is 10x the fkn price. Just like they helped with Obama care. Insurance is dog shit and twice as expensive.

Thats another point. The place is a fkn 3rd world shit there. I go there several times a week for work and I wouldn't live there if you paid me

I used to visit every summer as a kid, I loved visiting there. Last time I was there was 2017 New Years Eve when Mariah had some awful performance on live tv.

Every street and sidewalk stunk like spoiled milk and parmesan cheese scraped off the ass of a Rhino. Havent been back since, I'm not sure if or when I'll ever be back

I still don’t know why people live in NY. That place is the shithole of America.

Not much better here

According to a study from rent.com, the average studio apartment in San Diego is $2,417, up 23% from last year. A one-bedroom apartment is averaging $2,775, up 21%.

Agent posts a listing.

Within hours 50 applicants show up at the same time to open house

It was like that when I was going to open houses in 2020.... 30-40 offers over a weekend.... When I was buying a place. I couldn't imagine competing with that many people to pay someone else's mortgage.

Back