Renato Moicano having a "good" jab

I watched it without sound because that’s how I’ve heard people watch fights when scoring them. So this method should work!

I got the feeling that whoever made the video was reaching for something that wasn’t quite there. Like Moicano has a good jab and likes to use it a lot, but you can kick his legs? If you try to punch him he’ll kick your legs? Because he doesn’t like it when you try to punch him.

Ah, he’s vulnerable to.. uh, punches over his hands or between his hands.. Or openings of some kind. *checks tape of Moicano getting tagged with and overhand right* - yup, there it is!

So you’re telling me this is a great short video about Moicano and his jab… wait.. You made this? Oh. I still think it’s over simplified, dumbed down and not really much of an analysation.

Maybe I should’ve watched it with sound on…
<5>

Gotta say I don't really care for disrespectful "breakdowns" like this. If anything most of these are problems with footwork/vision, not with his jab per se, which he has used very well. Two of the guys featured in this video on how "bad" his jab is in Kattar and Cub are both great fighters whose ass he whipped using these same tools. In the Fiziev KO sequence he isn't even jabbing.

Criticizing him for keeping his hands away from his chin doesn't really make sense, unless you're trying to say flatly "don't jab, don't parry, and don't hand fight".

Future champ, GOAT jab... Should instead of jab just jerk off though.

Really? Like maybe 5 fighters have a good boxing level jab. GSP basically won fights off an above average jab alone

Crazy that Usman is following directly in his footsteps in that regard

It's not like KZ is one of the best counterpunchers at FW or something. The fact that Moicano has a decent job means he's got one of the best jabs in the UFC lol. It's a low bar

He doesnt even have a top 50 jab in MMA there are plenty of MMA fighters with great jabs

He doesnt even have a top 50 jab in MMA there are plenty of MMA fighters with great jabs
Active at the moment? He's definitely in the top 50 for me. His jab isn't perfect but entirely functional for his style. You're essentially arguing that almost 10 percent of the roster has a better jab than a pretty elite fighter. Seems a little harsh. I think people underrate his jab because he's not particularly durable, so his mistakes are much more cataphoric than most fighters who fuck up, eat a counter then move on.

He leans on other aspects of his game, but he clearly outstruck Stephens and Kattar.

It's not like KZ is one of the best counterpunchers at FW or something. The fact that Moicano has a decent job means he's got one of the best jabs in the UFC lol. It's a low bar
Yeah both can be true.
The funny thing is that having a "good jab" and having it be super effective, is you can have holes in your game and not get punished for them until someone like KZ slips and rips into your face and you learn while getting KOed.

Takeaway from the vid is that Moicano has good offense including a good jab, but lacks defense. Stands upright and doesn't move or turn his head when shots come, so takes the full impact. Also susceptive to low and body strikes. To basically everything that's coming at him.

I think Moicano is offensively a very good fighter and him losing a lot shows how good FW is. He is a LW now, but I think his real class is FW. With technical improvement. Not young for a lighter weight, already 32, but he's a guy who doesn't need a whole lot of improvement to go on a run. Already has wins over Kattar, Cub and Heathen.

At LW Moicano can become a gatekeeper to young talent. The top of the div is too strong for him. It's disappointing because he was a good FW prospect a few years ago.

Last edited:
Yeah both can be true.
The funny thing is that having a "good jab" and having it be super effective, is you can have holes in your game and not get punished for them until someone like KZ slips and rips into your face and you learn while getting KOed.
Yup. Dozens of ways to throw a jab, dozens of ways to counter one. Plus, while I don't consider the KZ fight a fluke, if that fight happened 10 times, I doubt he'd land a counter like that that early and devastatingly ever single time

Back