Removing vocals from music?

uWot

not-so-official God of All Mods
@Brown
Reaction score
So I want to remove the vocals from some songs.

I know many popular mainstream songs have their karaoke versions for sale online. But these songs aren't that popular so I can't find any karaoke versions (they're mostly in foreign languages). I tried removing vocals with Audacity, but some tracks don't "take" well and others still have audio in some parts (though muffled). I've found 2 karaoke versions, but they're in a different key or the instrumental isn't the exact same as the original.

Are there professionals that do this kind of stuff for a fee? Not sure where I'd look or what they're called.

Are there any programs that are made for this particular thing? Doesn't need to be free.

Point me in the right direction Sherbrahs... I'd appreciate it!

1378516760_frank-mir-headphones.gif

1. Intro: Remove The Vocals From A Song. ...
  2. Step 1: Open Audacity. ...
  3. Step 2: Drag In The Song. ...
  4. Step 3: Split The Stereo Track. ...
  5. Step 4: Select The Bottom Track. ...
  6. Step 5: Invert The Bottom Track. ...
  7. Step 6: Set Both Tracks To Mono. ...
  8. Step 7: Export It.

If you could remove all the vocals from Dream Theatre's songs for me after you figure this out, that'd be great.

I know about the Audacity thing.

I've tried it with almost all my tracks. But it's hit or miss.

It doesn't work with every song. And the songs it does work with, sometimes leaves behind a faint sound of the voice. Sometimes it removes the voice in some parts but not in others.

So I was wondering if there was a more professional software. Maybe something made just for removing vocals that would work 100% of the time.

Have you tried youtube? Just wondering.

If you could remove all the vocals from Dream Theatre's songs for me after you figure this out, that'd be great.

DT actually has quite a few karaokes on YouTube. Some are quite HQ too.

Have you tried youtube? Just wondering.

Yup.

But these songs aren't that popular. And they're not in English. Found a couple karaokes, but they weren't that great of quality.

There's really no way to remove them completely. Vocal tracks are gonna be sharing frequency ranges with other instruments, so you can't scrub them out completely without the rest of the track sounding whack.

The best you could do is turn them down significantly. Using an EQ filter, you'd want to isolate some really narrow frequency bands where the vocals are strongest, then turn those right down. That's the best solution I can think of.

Yes there are people who do this. Contact any studio, they'll have the equipment necessary to do it and should do it for a fee.

My childhood best friend grew up with a studio in his house and I've asked him if he could do this (separate the tracks in a song and raise/lower volume or remove guitar, bass, vocals etc.). He said it can be done.

There's really no way to remove them completely. Vocal tracks are gonna be sharing frequency ranges with other instruments, so you can't scrub them out completely without the rest of the track sounding whack.

The best you could do is turn them down significantly. Using an EQ filter, you'd want to isolate some really narrow frequency bands where the vocals are strongest, then turn those right down. That's the best solution I can think of.

Thanks. I had tried that with Audacity, and it worked well with some songs. But for some reason, others were just a mess. I guess I'll just keep doing this with whatever songs it works with, and will try to find a pro to clean up the ones that don't work.

Yes there are people who do this. Contact any studio, they'll have the equipment necessary to do it and should do it for a fee.

My childhood best friend grew up with a studio in his house and I've asked him if he could do this (separate the tracks in a song and raise/lower volume or remove guitar, bass, vocals etc.). He said it can be done.

Thanks for the insight! Good to know it can be done. I'll contact some people around town and see what can be done.

Literally did a Google check to make sure that wasn't some fetish website. Never heard of it before, but have spent a couple hours searching through it. Lots of info on there. Thanks!!

Literally did a Google check to make sure that wasn't some fetish website. Never heard of it before, but have spent a couple hours searching through it. Lots of info on there. Thanks!!

Haha, yeah, funny name, but lots of great info on recording/producing.

post the names of the songs you want done...perhaps someone here is more apt at searching out things

1. Intro: Remove The Vocals From A Song. ...
  2. Step 1: Open Audacity. ...
  3. Step 2: Drag In The Song. ...
  4. Step 3: Split The Stereo Track. ...
  5. Step 4: Select The Bottom Track. ...
  6. Step 5: Invert The Bottom Track. ...
  7. Step 6: Set Both Tracks To Mono. ...
  8. Step 7: Export It.

Can you take youtube videos and do this with them?

If one of you can remove the vocals from Sunz of Man's Bankstaz so that I may busteth a flow I will like your posts every time I see you for a year.

Thanks.

I've always wondered how good smashing pumpkins would sound without corgan's voice.

I know there is professional backing track services that recreate a track from scratch minus the vocals (better then cheesy karaoke versions). Then you can purchase the file in Midi or MP3 form. Depending on your needs. I've dealt with Midi versions a lot in my line of work. Try google searching such services. See if it helps.

Back