Social Remembering Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls

Here are some numbers instead of people just guessing. The rates with which Native American women experience violence and sexual assault is pretty scary

The vast majority (96 percent) of AI/AN female victims of sexual violence experience violence at the hands of a non-Native perpetrator; 21 percent have experienced intraracial violence.

https://www.ncai.org/policy-researc...lications/VAWA_Data_Brief__FINAL_2_1_2018.pdf
While the link you posted is kinda meh, and could be a skewing of data, the sources posted in it seems more interesting.

Atm im a little to busy to read hundreds of pages, but I will look into it later.

depends on who you ask

if you ask the rcmp to do an investigation of all historical crimes, then yes in the 70-80% range as per their data
I remember the last time this topic came up I said natives have to look for the offenders on their own lands first and foremost. Well that set off a shit show. To paraphrase one particular nitwit "white men are hunting our women on the Rez". And that sort of mindset is counterproductive to say the least.

I remember the last time this topic came up I said natives have to look for the offenders on their own lands first and foremost. Well that set off a shit show. To paraphrase one particular nitwit "white men are hunting our women on the Rez". And that sort of mindset is counterproductive to say the least.
I don't care who does it, it needs to stop.

Holy shit how far back we gonna go for victims. I'm sure someone neck stomped on my ancestors in the past. Sign me up. Not. Rather look forwards than the past.

I have been assaulted by at least 6 native women. Two have put a knife to my throat. One completely trashed my car.

I have been assaulted by at least 6 native women. Two have put a knife to my throat. One completely trashed my car.

I was working near Ft St John and went into town to grab dinner one night, I was sitting in a pub eating, watch some hockey at the bar and a native gal came up behind me and whispered, "I'm going to date rape you". I turned to her and said "don't write cheques you can't cash". She laughed and bought me a beer.

Missing indigenous women is right in line with missing indigenous men, but for some reason, the men are never mentioned.

mmimb-stats-2014-18.png

Here are some numbers instead of people just guessing. The rates with which Native American women experience violence and sexual assault is pretty scary

The vast majority (96 percent) of AI/AN female victims of sexual violence experience violence at the hands of a non-Native perpetrator; 21 percent have experienced intraracial violence.

https://www.ncai.org/policy-researc...lications/VAWA_Data_Brief__FINAL_2_1_2018.pdf
Juts in case anyone is interested, and im guessing they are because it's a thread on the same topic with some people making the same retarded-ass arguments as in here, I obliterated some jabroni from space who was trying to ramble on about how awful Native men are to Native women, and how Native men are the real problem, and on and on, while trying (and failing) to use "data" from the RCMP. Now, my knowledge of this subject is (still) largely limited to what happens down here in the states, but a cursory glance through the report in question during my thread sequence here
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/159964964/
put this shit to bed pretty quick.
Fun fact: Women from any demographic are more likely to be killed by people of the same race, or, more accurately, by people that are close to them (family/close friends/people that share the same living space). If their "data" is actually... accurate (and there are always tons of problems with government data re: Natives) The RCMP did indeed show Native men committed crimes against Native women more often than other demographics but, as a percentage, attacked Native women less often than white men (for example) attacked white women. And it just gets worse from there as you start unpacking this horseshit.
@Bald1 might remember that thread

Last edited:
I can't really discuss what happens in Canada with any level of expertise, but i'm happy to help explain this issue regarding Native people down here in the US

So if they are murdered and missing in such a way, who is dissapearing them. Is it the other indigenous people?
People who end up in those situations usually come from broken and troubled families, and Aboriginals in Australia have that problem. They will be less likely to be reported and be seen as vulnerable.

Last edited:
One has to wonder if there are any serial murderers that have or are currently targeting indigenous communities. While it might be very difficult to move within such communities as an outsider it also would afford less likelihood of it even being recognized by law enforcement as I don't assume they receive the same sort of investigative resources as non-indigenous communities.

If the murderer were also of those communities it would make it even that much harder to see a pattern before a considerable body account was accrued. And that's says it was even noticed and tracked.

Same could be said of any insular communities with little trust in mainstream law enforcement. Asian communities, Middle Eastern communities, Black communities, etc

There's nothing hypothetical in your query. It's broadly accepted that serial killers target vulnerable individuals and groups. Pickton killed over 50 women from a city where Indigenous people make up less than 2% of the population. It's estimated that over half of his victims were Indigenous. And it is widely accepted that this was a large factor in his ability to kill so many women and to continue killing for such an extended period.

More broadly speaking, Canada's relationship with and treatment of Indigenous people is beyond shameful. We want quick, easy, and painless reconciliation, and most people would prefer to just skip over the truth part.

Generations of children abused emotionally, physically, and sexually while under the "care" of the state. First they were taken unceremoniously from their primary nurturers at home, and then residential school survivors experienced childhood sexual abuse from their only remaining "caretaker" figures at a rate above 50%. In the meantime, many schools had strict rules against those same children hugging their own siblings. Literally the only touch they received regularly was abusive and exploitative and entirely out of their control.

It's impossible to overstate the absolute havoc that those sorts of histories drag into the present with them, especially in regard to forming healthy attachments with other human beings, and also in one's ability to be present in the world around you rather than doing everything in your power (chemical and otherwise) to retreat and dissociate from life.

And nevertheless (as we see in some of the posts in this thread) just the mere act of attempting to bring awareness to the special vulnerability of the women in this extremely vulnerable group is met with suspicion and even defensive hostility.

All of which, sadly, mirrors the response that the families of the women Pickton killed received when they tried to bring awareness to the RCMP and others about their missing beloved daughters and mothers and sisters. It's all one.

So if they are murdered and missing in such a way, who is dissapearing them. Is it the other indigenous people?

Basically yes. They have a really terrible subculture. I once saw an entire group of around 20 Natives stop traffic on a busy road in the middle of the city to walk through the middle of it like they were a group of ducks or something. They did it just because they can. Because people will blame it on oppression from a time when damn near everyone was oppressed. And, yeah, obviously the missing women get blamed on white people when they are entirely free (and encouraged through extensive affirmative action) to integrate into society.

I'm always a bit surprised at the broad spectrum defense mode that manifests when someone asks "So, who is killing these people?" concerning deaths/issues in various ethnic communities. Sympathy, compassion, and generosity are all tremendously important to solving these issues, and those should be treated as core virtues in approaching them. That being said, any response which is prickly and defensive when someone wants to know who is actually doing the violence seems to be not treating solving the issue as a primary objective. I will say though, if all we want to do is put on a good show of talking about how compassionate we are and not fixing shit, boy did we elect the right guy.

More clarified version? If a lot of this violence is happening inside of these communities, or is coming from somewhere that it is uncomfortable for us to admit, but we desperately avoid talking about that in favour of casting blame outwards, I doubt we're really serious about solving the issue. Given the responses I see when these issues come up, that's pretty much where I figure we're at as a culture.

I'm always a bit surprised at the broad spectrum defense mode that manifests when someone asks "So, who is killing these people?" concerning deaths/issues in various ethnic communities. Sympathy, compassion, and generosity are all tremendously important to solving these issues, and those should be treated as core virtues in approaching them. That being said, any response which is prickly and defensive when someone wants to know who is actually doing the violence seems to be not treating solving the issue as a primary objective. I will say though, if all we want to do is put on a good show of talking about how compassionate we are and not fixing shit, boy did we elect the right guy.

More clarified version? If a lot of this violence is happening inside of these communities, or is coming from somewhere that it is uncomfortable for us to admit, but we desperately avoid talking about that in favour of casting blame outwards, I doubt we're really serious about solving the issue. Given the responses I see when these issues come up, that's pretty much where I figure we're at as a culture.

I would be curious to see stats on how likely a non-Native person is to be assaulted/killed by a Native (per capita) vs non-Natives.

Natives in Canada are grossly overrepresented in violence against both Natives and non-Natives. And I am going largely by what I have seen and experienced myself. And Natives are victims more often because they are around other Natives more often.

I would be curious to see stats on how likely a non-Native person is to be assaulted/killed by a Native (per capita) vs non-Natives.

Natives in Canada are grossly overrepresented in violence against both Natives and non-Natives. And I am going largely by what I have seen and experienced myself. And Natives are victims more often because they are around other Natives more often.

Yeah, that seems like a really levelheaded approach to to try and assess where we need to put our focus to solve the problem. Stats like that, and ones that show the ways in which these communities interact, should likely be front and center at any discussion of where, and what type, of resources need to be deployed to help with this. Good luck on that though.

The dialogue is definitely slanted, to the detriment of actually having an open and honest conversation about this, in Canada, and that isn't going to help getting the issues solved. There is zero question that the Canadian government, white-settler populations, etc, have a ton to answer for in this area, and I'm glad we are increasingly having that discussion. In my own workplace (reflective of major institutions all across Canada) I see *tremendous* resources (money, man hours, special spaces, programs, funding, special job openings, recognitions, radical shifts in curriculums and program requirements, etc etc) being devoted towards increasing Indigenous opportunity, so I have trouble doing anything but rolling my eyes when I see the claims about nothing substantive being done. They are utter poppycock - though I'm certainly open to claims that more needs to be done, or different things need to be done.

That being said, for all the talk about people "Wanting to have the hard conversations" you can't help but notice that the response is oftentimes hostility and defensiveness when someone says "So, who is actually making this violence happen - should we look there to help fix the problem?" (that was @Bald1 's original comment, I think). Turns out the "hard conversations" they want to have are lectures, and those lectures are only supposed to go one way - and for all the talk of the target audience's fragility, even the slightest pushback is met with, as stated above, hostility and defensiveness. Having the "hard conservation" has basically become a synonym for having a one-way conversation.

But yeah, for a snapshot of how honest we are about the conversation around this in Canada?

"A Calgary indigenous woman who knocked out a Caucasian woman’s tooth while yelling “I hate white people,” didn’t commit a racially motivated crime, a judge says.

“There is no evidence either way about what the offender meant or whether . . . she holds or promotes an ideology which would explain why this assault was aimed at this victim,” he (the judge) said.

“I am not satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that this offence was, even in part, motivated by racial bias.”
"

Indigenous woman yells 'I hate white people' while punching caucasian, but it's not a hate crime: Judge | National Post

That's how honest we are about this shit in Canada.

Last edited:
This is a genuine question, not a veiled racist deflection. What part does police jurisdiction play in the unsolved nature of these disappearances? Indigenous lands are nations unto themselves with their own police services, I’ve heard that often times indigenous police will refuse federal or state police entry to conduct investigations.

Back