Remember when champions were the money fights?

Son of Sonnen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Interesting to me how all these new champs seem to think winning the championship is their shot to fight guys that have sold ppvs before rather than the time for them to be the ones that bring the money to the fight. Tyrun, Eddie, Nunes even Bisping to a certain extent, have all demanded fights against proven earners instead of saying, now it's my time, I'm the Champ, pay me and I'm going to sell ppvs no matter who I fight. A surprising lack of self confidence and in their ability to market themselves. What gives? Why are none of them doubling down on themselves?

Interesting to me how all these new champs seem to think winning the championship is their shot to fight guys that have sold ppvs before rather than the time for them to be the ones that bring the money to the fight. Tyrun, Eddie, Nunes even Bisping to a certain extent, have all demanded fights against proven earners instead of saying, now it's my time, I'm the Champ, pay me and I'm going to sell ppvs no matter who I fight. A surprising lack of self confidence and in their ability to market themselves. What gives? Why are none of them doubling down on themselves?

Henderson is a proven earner? Though i agree with the other people u have listed.If anything though fighters are being smarter about who they fight and when

64569-cool-story-bro.gif

exactly ts now all we can do is rejoice at the glorious splendor of Fightpass

No. Draws have always been the money fights regardless of title. ken was a draw back when he was fighting Tito, same for chuck when he was chasing the title.

I would actually say that Bisping doesn't belong in that category as he has sold PPVs without having the belt. I really look at him fighting Henderson as his very last opportunity to rematch Dan. Bisping has wanted that fight for 7 plus years and Dan has never had any reason to run it back. I don't think if Dan was younger or had 5 fights left or something that Bisping goes that route.

I personally would like to think that Tyrone is actually just playing the "Heel" and knows that unless GSP does come back asap that he will have to face Thompson. He is right that a fight with him vs Thompson isn't a "Money Fight" but his post fight remarks may have been designed to make it a bigger PPV than if he simply said "I will fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me"

Like back in the days when Tito fought Ken Shamrock 3 times?

Bisping is a questionable addition to the list, but I could see the argument. He is fighting #13 in the division at the end of the day even though I understand the history aspect of it.

Maybe Tyrun is trying to play heal but I don't think that is the case here.

The other thing about all these champs is the UFC gave them their opportunity over doing money fights. Lawler Condit 2 or GSP or even McDonald 2 was a money fight over Woodly. RDA could have held off for Kabib 2 or even Connor or Nate but gave Alvarez his shot. Miesha could have fought Holly in a rematch or said she was waiting for Ronda but didn't. It's very hypocritical and for me somewhat disrespectful of the sport aspect of it. None of them would have had their opportunity if the champs they beat acted like them.

Champions do think big names equals big money out of nowhere. The biggest show ever had a non-title fight in the main event. The UFC, the fans, and the media have created a culture of big fights. We pre-judge a card based on who is watching it or the size of the fighters.

It doesn't take the GZA to see a trend. Let me ask you this, would you rather have ppv points 900,000 buys or 300,000 buys?

The champs are saying pay me, by saying give me more buys. Or give me a bigger name to boost the Fox ratings. This is prize fighting. Biggest purse wins. It has nothing to do with confidence. Marketing though is 100% accurate.

Which sells more Tyron Woodley vs the returning Nick Diaz as ppv main event or co-main or Tyron Woodley vs Stephen Thompson on FS1 and just over a million viewers?

Why do you refer to some by their first names and others by their last names?

Not talking FS1. With the right co, Woodley vs Thompson does big numbers. For example, put Lawler Diaz 2 in the co. Big numbers and a back up option in case of injury. Fight Thompson in MSG...huge numbers. The idea that the only way to make money is to fight GSP, Connor a Diaz or Ronda is ridiculous.

Back