Regarding to wanting more 10-8 and 10-7 rounds, how come no-one talks about this?

Melas Chasma

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was reading through that other thread and got a real headache because of it. Why cant you get this? The more complex you make the judging, the more scenarios for controversy it creates because the scoring of each round still remains subjective. You would get more possibilities to disagree with the scoring of each round than now. Are you saying you want that, or that you havent even thought about it?

You would love that confusion and controversy a lot more often than now whether a certain round should have been 10-9 or 10-8 and whether another round should have been 10-8 or 10-7? Really, you want that to happen to this sport? And you would still have the old problem with close rounds of whether fighter A or B won a 10-9. You would not solve anything, you would only create a more mess.

Sometimes I genuinely feel I get a brain cancer someday because of Sherdog.

Last edited:
I was reading through that other read and got a real headache because of it. Why cant you get this? The more complex you make the judging, the more scenarios for controversy it creates because the scoring of each round still remains subjective. You would get more possibilities to disagree with the scoring of each round than now. Are you saying you want that, or that you havent even thought about it?

You would love that confusion and controversy a lot more often than now whether a certain round should have been 10-9 or 10-8 and whether another round should have been 10-8 or 10-7? Really, you want that to happen to this sport? And you would still have the old problem with close rounds of whether fighter A or B won a 10-9. You would not solve anything, you would only create a more mess.

Sometimes I genuinely feel I get a brain cancer someday because of Sherdog.

F-in thank you.

Leave the system as is, just educate the judges.

Again, Thank you.

I wish you guys would speak up and share when other posters are attacking me about this.

Helping them understand this will help alot of things with viewers.

Again, Thank you.

I wish you guys would speak up and share when other posters are attacking me about this.

Helping them understand this will help alot of things with viewers.
Haha, would have if I read your posts, bud :p

Anchorman-2-The-Legend-Continue-Ron-Burgundy-Will-Ferrell-Sorry-Gif.gif

A 10-8 is easier to score than a 10-9 in that it's clearly one-sided to the point of being a landslide; there's no mistaking who won that round although there's sometimes an issue with what exactly qualifies as 10-8 over 10-9. Most judging decisions that are panned come from 10-9 rounds favoring the wrong fighter.

Last edited:
I disagree to an extent. 10-9 too often seems to be accepted to be the case, regardless of the degree of dominance by a fighter in a round.

Sounds like you want it to be like tennis scores, you sick fuck. Fighter A wins by 2 rounds to 1. Why would you want that? Why?!

I love tennis

I do agree that priority, by far, is educating judges. Get Ricardo Almeida back in there.

You can have less judging mistakes if you encourage giving 10-8's when it's one-sided. The problem with mma judging has been 10-9's scored the wrong way. I'd like to see more 10-10's and 10-8's for close and dominant rounds. Leave the 10-9's for clear rounds without damage or grappling dominance (point fighting).

You can have less judging mistakes if you encourage giving 10-8's when it's one-sided. The problem with mma judging has been 10-9's scored the wrong way. I'd like to see more 10-10's and 10-8's for close and dominant rounds. Leave the 10-9's for clear rounds without damage or grappling dominance (point fighting).

10-8s cause a ton of draws.

It's math. That's the problem with 10-8s in MMA.

A 10-8 is easier to score than a 10-9 in that it's clearly one-sided to the point of being a landslide; there's no mistaking who one that round although there's sometimes an issue with what exactly qualifies as 10-8 over 10-9.

If you want more different types of scoring for each rounds, then you accept the fact it also creates controversial scenarios more often. It would lead to a debates more often whether a round was 10-8 or 10-9, than it does now. It would not solve anything regarding to where is the line between 10-8 and 10-9 (or 10-8 and 10-7), it would only move that line and you would still have to deal with that problem more often. This should be very simple to understand.

10-8s cause a ton of draws.

It's math. That's the problem with 10-8s in MMA.

Many judges are fucking morons and that's the only reason this is even a discussion, but since you have to put the kiddy gloves on, why not give them the most clear advice possible and have them score what they think is close a 10-10, what they think is clear without damage or grappling dominance a 10-9, and dominant rounds a 10-8. Encourage them to do so, like a child learning how to ride a bike. That way you have more draws but hopefully less robberies.

If you want more different types of scoring for each rounds, then you accept the fact it also creates controversial scenarios more often. It would lead to a debates more often whether a round was 10-8 or 10-9, than it does now. It would not solve anything regarding to where is the line between 10-8 and 10-9 (or 10-8 and 10-7), it would only move that line and you would still have to deal with that problem more often. This should be very simple to understand.
My point was that the issues with judging widely stems from how judges weigh factors in deciding who gets the 10 and who gets the 9 whereas that really isn't the issue with a 10-8. Yes, occasionally you see a 10-8 round that probably should have been a 10-9, but that's nowhere near as frequent as fighter A getting 10 points when he should have gotten 9. Controversy isn't usually coming from 10-8 rounds; they aren't the issue except that occasionally they aren't given out when they probably should be. Controversy in all the infamous "robbery" fights come from 10-9s and judges having inconsistent/odd weights for determining the winner.

How many 10-8 rounds have been given out that you think should have been 10-9 or even have gone to the other fighter?

Many judges are fucking morons and that's the only reason this is even a discussion, but since you have to put the kiddy gloves on, why not give them the most clear advice possible and have them score what they think is close a 10-10, what they think is clear without damage or grappling dominance a 10-9, and dominant rounds a 10-8. Encourage them to do so, like a child learning how to ride a bike. That way you have more draws but hopefully less robberies.

You're right, but they will not let us use 10-10 rounds or I have been instructed not to.

When I brought up giving more 10-10 rounds at a commission meeting, they were absolutely opposed to it with zero wiggle room.

More 10-10 rounds is needed more than more 10-8 rounds

My point was that the issues with judging widely stems from how judges weigh factors in deciding who gets the 10 and who gets the 9 whereas that really isn't the issue with a 10-8. Yes, occasionally you see a 10-8 round that probably should have been a 10-9, but that's nowhere near as frequent as fighter A getting 10 points when he should have gotten 9. Controversy isn't usually coming from 10-8 rounds; they aren't the issue except that occasionally they aren't given out when they probably should be. Controversy in all the infamous "robbery" fights come from 10-9s and judges having inconsistent/odd weights for determining the winner.

How many 10-8 rounds have been given out that you think should have been 10-9 or even have gone to the other fighter?

Yes, but Im not talking about that. Having more 10-8 and 10-7 rounds would not solve anything regarding to the problem with close 10-9s, that problem would still be there just like before, but now you would also have more often the problem with the debate of whether some other round should have been 10-8 or 10-9. You would create controversy more often by making 10-8 more usual because you would have to deal with that subjective line between 10-8 and 10-9 more often (plus 10-8 vs 10-7). I really dont get why it is so difficult to people understand this. It would only create more controversy, it can be considered as a fact.

Back