Regarding King Kabuki's Heavy Bag Routine

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
this routine has been a staple in many a sherdogger's stand-up workout and i myself am a fan of it. my question is this, would this routine be effective as a shadowboxing workout with weights in each hand?

Hmm, that wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think but you'd have to be wary of joint wear. The shoulder joint is relatively fragile, and the elbow, one wrong hyper-extenstion and your punching days could be over. If you want to try it be mindful of your joint health.

King Kabuki said:
Hmm, that wouldn't be a bad idea I don't think but you'd have to be wary of joint wear. The shoulder joint is relatively fragile, and the elbow, one wrong hyper-extenstion and your punching days could be over. If you want to try it be mindful of your joint health.
how much should the weights way?

I'd say start with 5-10lb'ers depending on how strong your arms already are. 5 being the heaviest. And I'd go through the motions slow and fluent, not fast and snapping, which could stress the joints too much.

ok, cool.

BTW, i tried to add you as my friend on myspace.:)

that song rocks

Send me an e-mail on myspace so I know who you are. I need to post something about that on my profile there because I get random requests from mofo's I never heard of. lol

Thanks, King Kabuki! Keep posting your great insights so us newbs and veterans alike may further improve our training! :)

King Kabuki said:
Send me an e-mail on myspace so I know who you are. I need to post something about that on my profile there because I get random requests from mofo's I never heard of. lol
haha, ok

its title is "hey bro"

I've been shadowboxing with dumbells for a while now and have no joint problems. I do this on my sledgehammer days in between sledge sets using a 3lb in each hand. Don't snap the punches and you should be fine. BTW, I've found that my abs on my sides (sorry don't know the correct muscle name) get the sorest after doing long rounds of shadow boxing with weights in the hands especially when I'm doing lots of hooks as compared with actual weight lifting routines meant to target my side abs.

u can NEVER substitute heavy bag work w/ anything, which some people try to slide by w/ weights. I shadowbox w/ small weights but the heavy bag is still the main part of my workout. For me, weights are the bottom rung under stuff like sparring, bag work, cardio, mitts, etc.

the heavy bag is as vital to boxing as the roadwork.

u can NEVER substitute heavy bag work w/ anything, which some people try to slide by w/ weights. I shadowbox w/ small weights but the heavy bag is still the main part of my workout. For me, weights are the bottom rung under stuff like sparring, bag work, cardio, mitts, etc.

the heavy bag is as vital to boxing as the roadwork.

Es verdad hermano.

Back