Referee Question?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
First off, I have got to give much respect where much respect is due.

Since the start of the UFC, Referees have improved dramatically since the 90’s and early 2000’s (Pride referees always knew when to save a fighter)

I know some will complain that certain refs got a decision wrong or made a mistake and yes, it does happen, IN EVERY SPORT!
Usually when someone barks that a referee was wrong, it usually is coming from a biased opinion of a fan of the losing side.

Being an impartial ref MUST be impossible, just as an impartial judge is....We all have stereotypes and biases whether admitted or not.

I am just happy that referees have a much better grasp on knowing when is almost the exact time to save a fighter. Best improvement over time.

MY QUESTION IS: Is there a referee school that is responsible for teaching HOW to referee?

Big John has a ref school doesn't he? Not sure about anyone else, but you'd have to think so

Yes there are courses and certifications that you can receive which help you get licensed by state commissions.

Half of them learn from the master

RpcIwr3yiin6z_HkqBlu0TPGdY_5Q54SAJgT30u84EBiEMOaDkaKIs7aFeuL5cT3l7d0ruAc2_tdI8nkZ75AriimVQ9iUFh1t92TuAerMgi26CVhcBto6xhUgGsDfWUO1pg

Since the start of the UFC, Referees have improved dramatically since the 90’s and early 2000’s (Pride referees always knew when to save a fighter)

I know some will complain that certain refs got a decision wrong or made a mistake and yes, it does happen, IN EVERY SPORT!
Usually when someone barks that a referee was wrong, it usually is coming from a biased opinion of a fan of the losing side.

Being an impartial ref MUST be impossible, just as an impartial judge is....We all have stereotypes and biases whether admitted or not.

I am just happy that referees have a much better grasp on knowing when is almost the exact time to save a fighter. Best improvement over time.

MY QUESTION IS: Is there a referee school that is responsible for teaching HOW to referee?
The "old school" you mention teaches the new breed.
Big John Mccarthy did that.

and he was/is one of the best judges I've ever seen in action. (the most consistent as well)

I am not sure if it is mandatory but a Sherdog black belt helps you qualify.

Many refs are guys who've trained most their lives and are in their 40's (at least from my experience)
Also the ones I know have many coaches hold high respect for them as martial artists

Sanctions must hold some sort of yearly get together a where things are discussed/taught.

Chris Leben became a ref by taking Herb Deans course

https://www.mmanews.com/chris-leben-discusses-mme-referee/

Pretty cool! Frank Trigg is also reffing.

Back