Ref in Jacobs fight.

Alvino

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit that I haven't followed US boxing that closely recently, but what was going on with the referee during Jacobs fight with Pirog?

Jacobs was definitely hurt, but he seemed to recover well by about the count to 6 as he went to get up the referee pushed him back down!?

I think the count was continuing & Jacobs was clearly saying he was fine, so i don't think it was stopped. Anyone know about this?

Jacobs clearly wasn't with it, the ref saved him from needless punishment. He had the best view of Jacobs & made the right decision.. that was a brutal knockdown.

The way Jacobs fell he looked like he was knocked completely unconscious. The ref decided that there was no need for the 10 count and when he started to wave it off Jacobs miraculously recovered. Strange ending, but definitely justified. It reminded me a bit of the ending to Bonsante/Stevenson.

The way Jacobs fell he looked like he was knocked completely unconscious. The ref decided that there was no need for the 10 count and when he started to wave it off Jacobs miraculously recovered. Strange ending, but definitely justified. It reminded me a bit of the ending to Bonsante/Stevenson.

I was just going to comment the same thing!! :D

When you fall like that and then lay on the ground like that for a bit you're going to have the fight waved off.

It's not like the old way anymore.

A guy knocked completely cold and looking friggin' dead, but the ref still gave them the full 10 count.

It's not like the old way anymore.

A guy knocked completely cold and looking friggin' dead, but the ref still gave them the full 10 count.

KO @ 4:45 funny how as soon as he's done counting out Walcott's body, he immediately manhandles it to get him on his back and the body just flops over lifelessly:

It was weird how Jacobs just snapped up as soon as the ref said it's over. But for 5 seconds while the ref was counting he was just lying there not moving. Can't blame the ref.

Oh definitely the right call, I just never seen a ref physically push back a fighter trying to get up before.

Over here we still allow the fighter to get to his feet, stagger about a bit, fall against the ropes & get them to lurch 2 steps forward before the ref let's them box on!!

How about the judges? Pirog was down 3-1 even though he was beating the fuck out of Jacobs while only getting slapped in return. Luckily for Jacobs he has a built-in excuse for this fight. It's quite clear that Jacobs only looks great when he's in with someone who can't hurt him.

Back