Red Letter Media takes a big steaming dump on youtubers -- it's great

I think these guys are gutless like most critics, but sometimes they are good

I think it's a major silver lining that they haven't plagiarized Roger Ebert in a sad attempt to get likes on a message board.

OohBurn.gif

This except for the last line. Everything I've seen of them is complete trash. The whole "I'm so sarcastic and cynical" schtick is played. We get it your tastes are so refined. Nobody enjoy anything.

They're fairly constantly telling the viewer that they're not experts and these are only opinions.
I liked them initially because Mike, the original Plinkett, agrees with me on SW and ST and what makes each good.

This except for the last line. Everything I've seen of them is complete trash. The whole "I'm so sarcastic and cynical" schtick is played. We get it your tastes are so refined. Nobody enjoy anything.
They've surprised me by liking films I didn't. They've given me good reason to give films a chance that I otherwise wouldn't have.

Gutless? What do you base that on? Who is a courageous reviewer by comparison? If there is anyone who isn't afraid to piss off the higher ups in the Hollywood machine, it's RLM.

RLM is the best youtube channel by far

That Nerd Crew sketch they've been doing is amazing

Gutless? What do you base that on? Who is a courageous reviewer by comparison? If there is anyone who isn't afraid to piss off the higher ups in the Hollywood machine, it's RLM.

They pretty consistently agree with the consensus view on plenty of movies and in their selection of films to review. They do creep outside the echo-chamber from time to time and it's nice to see, but iirc the reason I stopped watching their reviews as often as I used too is that they're not that interesting or original

I doubt they piss anyone off too much. They're not important

They are awesome, the new ghostbusters review was better than the stupid movie

Can anyone recommend other movie reviewers that have so much to say about the language of cinema, ie what makes flicks good?
That talk about shot composition, framing, editing, cinematography?

So RLM has been an indy film studio and a film-review youtube channel for a long time now, but lately they've been taking aim at their youtube colleagues who function as the PR arm of movie studios, doing glowing movie reviews of certain movies in exchange for various rewards.

It helps that these guys can actually be really funny.

Talks about how the movie industry saves its shit for January.

Talks about how various studios have approached them to join other youtube review channels in their online marketing operations, really satirizes the hell out of the way this has shaped the structure of online movie review shows. There are two more of these nerd podcast satire videos that just rub shit in the face of every youtube reviewer who jump into the cookie cutter.

A huge-ass review of The Force Awakens that really spends as much time talking about Disney's work behind the scenes to shape the public's reception to the film as they spend reviewing the finished product. Utterly fascinating.

They need to stick with mr plinkett because that fat floppy turd I call "mr chuckles" needs to go away.

He's not funny. His giggles and jokes and fake laugh is detracting, and annoying and makes me want to get violent.

this fucking turd burger;

589624.jpg

replace him with this chick and then ya got a show.

712644b9_4d218e01_facebook.jpg

One great thing is that many ad companies are pulling out of adsense/youtube partner network cuz of all the low quality videos or straight out hate videos.

Now google is just blanket striking non-monetization on a lot of youtubers, what this mean? they won't make $ on vids.

They need to stick with mr plinkett because that fat floppy turd I call "mr chuckles" needs to go away.

He's not funny. His giggles and jokes and fake laugh is detracting, and annoying and makes me want to get violent.

589624.jpg

How dare you, Rich evan is the key to all of this

They pretty consistently agree with the consensus view on plenty of movies and in their selection of films to review. They do creep outside the echo-chamber from time to time and it's nice to see, but iirc the reason I stopped watching their reviews as often as I used too is that they're not that interesting or original

I doubt they piss anyone off too much. They're not important

They agree with the consensus on their selection of films to review? Half the films they review are on Best of the Worst and there is no agreement across critics to spend time watching The Jar or The Amazing Bulk.

You say they occasionally step out of the echo chamber, but you didn't name one reviewer that shows more "courage" when I asked you to name one. What reviewers do you think are more independent and honest?

Can anyone recommend other movie reviewers that have so much to say about the language of cinema, ie what makes flicks good?

Stuckmann pays some attention to that stuff.

Every Frame a Painting and, to a lesser extent, Oliver Harper, Blame Society, Nostalgia Chick... maybe Really That Good.

EDIT: and most definitely Film IQ.

Last edited:

589624.jpg

Chuckles is Rich Evans, one of the guys who Plinketts.
They can't use that persona for every review or it'd go stale.
They already have plenty of people for the reviews.
I liked Jessi, obviously Mike's gf, because she actually added to the panel.

Back