Multiplatform Red Dead Redemption II vs. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Which is the superior game?

Which is the superior game?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both are probably the two best games of the past 10 years or so.

Who do you got?

Red Dead Redemption II - (plot summary):

In 1899. The era of the Wild West is coming to an end as the federal government asserts its control over the lawless territories. Realizing that their fortunes are fading, Dutch Van der Linde's notorious gang plots one last major bank robbery that could set them for life.

However, the heist goes awry with several gang members dead or captured; the gang is forced to flee across the country with the law pursuing them. Undeterred, Dutch hopes to pull off one last heist and flee the country.

However, each scheme ends in failure. Dutch's most-trusted lieutenant, Arthur Morgan, sees his loyalty to the gang put to the test as he is forced to come to terms with the changing times.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - (plot summary):

The witcher, Geralt of Rivia, in the search for his lover, the sorceress Yennefer of Vengerberg, learns that his former witcher apprentice Cirilla, who disappeared years ago, has returned to Temeria and is being chased by The Wild Hunt, a group of riders of the night which presence brings omen of death and destruction to anything that crosses their path.

Geralt then sets on a quest to find Cirilla before The Wild Hunt gets to her first.

71xnh5WM+GL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

f5f12-16519321322879-1920.jpg

I think these are the two most technically impressive games of all time (that I've played). For me it's an easy answer and it's The Witcher 3. I had more fun playing it and I was more drawn into its world despite its combat being subpar. I have a love/hate relationship with RDR2. It's so incredible from a technical standpoint but man is it boring as hell. I also didn't particularly care for the story and Dutch and his "plan" and the mission structure felt tired and repetitive.

I probably beat The Witcher 3 five or six times, Red Dead twice. I prefer The Witcher's World to that of Red Dead even though Red Dead is essentially a technical marvel and a great snapshot in time. I prefer building my playstyle and having control over where the narrative goes to the more linear story of RDR2. Both amazing games though.

As I said in the other thread, Witcher 3 is best best game of the last decade and no game this decade has come close to it. I just finished my 6th playthrough of it and its still a blast.

I wasn't a huge fan of the 1st RDR, and while I haven't played through RDR2 because its not optimized for modern consoles. Knowing what Rockstar just pulled charging $40 for a digital download port for DRD1 to modern consoles I bet they're going to pull the same bullshit for RDR2 rather than release a free update making RDR2 optimized for modern consoles.

So, although I opted out of the RDR2 VS TLOU poll because I didn't play RDR2 yet, I'm voting in this one because I'm 1000% certain its not as good as Witcher 3. Even if its close, Witcher 3 gets extra points for releasing a free update making it optimized for modern consoles.

<PlusJuan>
Why you should play Witcher 3, ASAP.

As if the highest of praise from multiple posters in this forum, as well as winning every one of these polls, isn't enough.

{<diva}

This is how much I play games.
I have a P3 with a half inch of dust on it lol.
I have played games in years sir, I lost interest long ago.

Which begs the question why you're viewing in & posting in a videogame forum.

I was tagged in here for one, but just because I don't play games doesn't mean I can't learn about them sir.

I visit every forum on this site and read, I dig knowledge...whether about a subject or about the people Im surrounded by.

Can't learn about everyone by sitting in the MMA forum only brother.

I was tagged in here for one, but just because I don't play games doesn't mean I can't learn about them sir.

I visit every forum on this site and read, I dig knowledge...whether about a subject or about the people Im surrounded by.

Can't learn about everyone by sitting in the MMA forum only brother.

Well said my friend.

It’s definitely on my “to play list” and is in fact in my PS5 backlog. However, I’m one of those OCD people that needs to play a series in order. I’ve had the first Witcher in my Steam backlog for over 15 years, since I was in law school. Just haven’t gotten around to playing it. And I’ve also got the 360 version of Witcher 2 that I can play on my Series X (which iirc got a 4K upgrade for One X).

So some day, likely when I retire (in 25 years) and have time to game more regularly, I intend to play through the whole series.

Witcher 3 for sure.

I still haven't finished RDR2. I had to reinstall windows a few months ago, so I'd have to reinstall all the mods I was loving. I probably would have finished it then.

I love the world and all the crazy shit that happens. It's the ultimate Cowboy sim, just wish the missions weren't so restrictive in how you can approach them. Like most GTA games, I get annoyed with the main missions because of the linear nature of them, totally contrasts the freedom when you're free roaming.

Witcher 3's world is just as immersive, and I always prefer 3rd person action RPG's over anything, even if their combat can be janky. Both have incredibly well written and voice acted stories, I just prefer Witcher's RPG mechanics.

It’s definitely on my “to play list” and is in fact in my PS5 backlog. However, I’m one of those OCD people that needs to play a series in order. I’ve had the first Witcher in my Steam backlog for over 15 years, since I was in law school. Just haven’t gotten around to playing it. And I’ve also got the 360 version of Witcher 2 that I can play on my Series X (which iirc got a 4K upgrade for One X).

So some day, likely when I retire (in 25 years) and have time to game more regularly, I intend to play through the whole series.

Please take my word on this.

The Witcher 1.... unless you're a hardcore RPG & Witcher fan its a complete slog. It'd be a far far better use of your time to just watch a story summary on YouTube, like...

If you want to play Witcher 2, this is a much more respectable opinion. I played through it once, and although I'm glad I did to familiarize myself with a few characters that are also in Witcher3, I have absolutely no desire to ever play through it again.

Witcher 3 & its story has very little to do with the other two games storylines. That's why its never described as a trilogy. There's a few references on a few quests to events of the prior games, and the 7 books, but absolutely nothing is required to know before starting Witcher 3.

One of the reasons why its so highly hailed is because no prior knowledge of the prior storylines, which had concluded, is needed to fully enjoy the entirety of Witcher 3.

So do yourself a favor, and just start Witcher 3, and thank me later.

<JackieThumbsUp>

Back