Recreational Training

Teach

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback. I have no background in any martial art or combat sport (the reason I am posting I guess). I would like to start training in something--maybe BJJ or maybe something else--but I am not really sure yet.

What I am curious about is if it is common and acceptable to train as hobby. I don't have any interest in competing or fighting in organized bouts. I just like to try new things and have an interest in MMA. Are gyms usually cool about total amateurs? Is it a situation where it depends on the gym? Are there any disciplines that are particularly friendly or unfriendly to people who are training more for fun?

Any thoughts from more experienced people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had no idea WTF I was doing when I went in to my gym.

I knew what an arm bar was, I knew what a keylock was, and a triangle, and all the basic submissions.

I didn't understand hip movement or the details of the submissions, or how to look for or create openings..and like i said, mainly my hips...

but people come in knowing even less all the time. You have to start somewhere. So yeah, it's cool to be a total amateur...and people do it just for a hobby all the time. Also, a lot of them come in to train thinking they just want to do it for a hobby, then they end up wanting to compete in every tournament that comes around...

Just try it out and see what happens.

^^^^^^^^

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I took up BJJ 4 months ago simply to try an improve my fitness loose a bit of weight and gain a bit of confidence.

I'm now gearing up for my first tournament this comming saturday, i have another one next week in Croatia and another one about a month away even though i never contemplated competing!

Jiu Jitsu just has a way of becoming part of your life, i only wish i'd got off my arse and started training 10 years ago.

60%+ of the people I train with train recreationally, which I would define as not doing more than 1 competition per year.

I completely agree with the previous posts, just join and you'll probably find it really enjoyable and you can see where you wanna go from there, be it doing training just for fun or for competition.

I started BJJ 7 months ago and i find it really fun, definately something i would reccommend just trying out and seeing how you like it. I was already an avid mma fan, and knew the basic submissions, but had no clue about the mechanics of how they actually worked. The guys at my gym were really helpful and explained whenever i did mistakes and what to look out for.

Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback. I have no background in any martial art or combat sport (the reason I am posting I guess). I would like to start training in something--maybe BJJ or maybe something else--but I am not really sure yet.

What I am curious about is if it is common and acceptable to train as hobby. I don't have any interest in competing or fighting in organized bouts. I just like to try new things and have an interest in MMA. Are gyms usually cool about total amateurs? Is it a situation where it depends on the gym? Are there any disciplines that are particularly friendly or unfriendly to people who are training more for fun?

Any thoughts from more experienced people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is almost exactly how I started about 1.5 years ago. Everything has worked out great and it has been a lot of fun.

tbone

Hi guys,

As the the rest of the guys have said, by all means you can do it as a hobby. You can also compete as a hobby if you want. No one said you had to go and try to win it all. A lot of people will compete once in a while for the experience and to grow as a BJJ player but there is no requirement.

the only martial art experience i had was boxing so that was no help. most guys at a bjj gym want you to come in and learn their sport and are really helpful. ask a lot of questions and tap often

I started bjj 4 months ago with no experience at all. I barely knew what an armbar was. I mainly wanted an activity to get in better shape. I totally love it. Eventually I might do some competitions but at this point I'm happy with my progress.

So basically, NO EXPERIENCE NECCESSARY! Join a gym and join in the fun.

expect to start as a hobby and be addicted like crack within 2 months, if you dont quit in the first 2 weeks.

martial arts are a great hobby. you shouldnt feel pressured to compete or fight at all. its a great way to get in shape and gain confidence/fighting skills

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. I am a big MMA fan but I have no desire to compete in MMA or BJJ competition. A lot of schools do tend to push the MMA/ cagefighter thing but I reckon that's to attract clientele. I'm more concerned with finding a hobby to stay in shape as i age as well as self defense technique should i find myself grappling one on one.

i just started bjj last week, i had never done any ground fighting previously. Only some locks/throws that were introduced to me when i used to do Jeet Kune Do. Its only my 2nd week and i have already sparred with a blue belt and other advanced white belts, its fun and im learning alot, i didnt want to compete at first but ill see where im at in 3-6 months.

I train as a hobby, and everyone starts somewhere, so in short your answer is yes it's acceptable. Some schools are more sport competition oriented than others, but it's no problem at all to train recreationally.

^^^^^^^^

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I took up BJJ 4 months ago simply to try an improve my fitness loose a bit of weight and gain a bit of confidence.

I'm now gearing up for my first tournament this comming saturday, i have another one next week in Croatia and another one about a month away even though i never contemplated competing!

Jiu Jitsu just has a way of becoming part of your life, i only wish i'd got off my arse and started training 10 years ago.

Word dawg. Word.

i train as a hobby/self defense, never had a desire or interest in competing; i just enjoy having fun hitting the mat, getting tapped and every once in awhile tapping someone out..lol

nothing wrong w/not competing, get whatever u want to get out of it; at least your out there learning.

That is one of the best ways to get into it...

No pressure to be at a certain level by a certain time.

Back