Recommend me a rifle for personal defense

Free your mind

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Never owned or fired a rifle other than m16s/m4s in the army. Civi side ive only used handguns and shotties. What can you recommend me in the 300-500$ range. Been looking at ars and mini 14s. I want something reliable, high capacity and hi rate of fire.

Why a rifle for self defense? You much better off with a shotgun or pistol for home defense. Shotguns are best because they spread and do not go through walls.

Your budget is a little low for a nice AR. I would probably get an AK if you must have a rifle given your budget. They are reliable, fire any ammo, and never break...whereas an AR needs to babied.

Why a rifle for self defense? You much better off with a shotgun or pistol for home defense. Shotguns are best because they spread and do not go through walls.

Your budget is a little low for a nice AR. I would probably get an AK if you must have a rifle given your budget. They are reliable, fire any ammo, and never break...whereas an AR needs to babied.

I already have a shotgun for the house. Im looking for a shtf weapon.

You're not going to really find anything in that price range, especially in this current buying frenzy. In a normal buyer's market I would say an AK in that price, but even cheap AK's are too pricey right now.

Relieable,High Cap,High rate of fire.

rugerintro_2012-03-28.jpg

maybe you can find a Sks right now in that price range. It'll be alot easier than trying to find an Ak right now especially that cheap. Sks's shoot the AK 7.62x39 round and are more accurate due to the longer barrel length.

maybe you can find a Sks right now in that price range. It'll be alot easier than trying to find an Ak right now especially that cheap. Sks's shoot the AK 7.62x39 round and are more accurate due to the longer barrel length.

I know Turners has been having sales on Chinese SKS's for about $399.

Even when not in the buying frenzy $300-500 won't buy a new AR or Mini-14. It'll get you a WASR or an IC(?) AK, though.

Yeah after some more shopping im leaning towards the wasr. I know some of you guys will give me some flak for this but id prefer synthetic furniture. Can you get a wasr with synthetic furniture? How does it hold up to wood?

Yeah after some more shopping im leaning towards the wasr. I know some of you guys will give me some flak for this but id prefer synthetic furniture. Can you get a wasr with synthetic furniture? How does it hold up to wood?

The one I had came with synthetic furniture. I had to switch the handguard out because, unlike the wood furniture, it had no heat shield. I replaced it with another synthetic handguard that had a heat shield.

So much fail in this post I don't know where to start.

Even when not in the buying frenzy $300-500 won't buy a new AR or Mini-14. It'll get you a WASR or an IC(?) AK, though.

You would be hard pressed to buy a wasr or any ak style rifle in that price range now during the ban talks, at least in my area. All the stores are cleaned out, prices in gunbroker are just silly now.

So much fail in this post I don't know where to start.

Yeah I second you on that one. Pistols are shitty compared to long guns and people only use them because they are easier conceal/carry. Shotguns do shoot through walls unless you're using bird shot and even then drywall isn't all that sturdy. Also ARs can be plenty reliable if you look at some of the torture tests out there.

Back