Recommend a light, summer-weight BJJ gi

p_ahn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just started training in BJJ, last night, and use a gold weave gi.
It's going to get a lot hotter and more humid in the coming months, but, I was already dying of heat.
Last night, I washed the gi, because I sweat so much in it, and it's still completely wet the day after.
Hence, I'm looking for a much lighter weight gi to be used in hot & humid weather which will dry relatively quickly compared to a gold weave.
Any suggestions/recommendations?
Money is no object.
I've heard that the ATAMA Ultra Lite and VULKAN Ultra Light are good.
I'm leaning towards the ATAMA Ultra Lite variety since they would be easier to get a hold of here in Seoul, Korea.
Thanks in advance, friends.

I can vouch for the Gameness Pearl or the Ouano lightweight gi. If I wash them after class one night, they're both dry and ready for a class the next night. But I'm hanging them outside. Or you could probably dry them as neither really shrank.

I also hear great things about the Vulcan, but I've never heard any reviews about the Atama.

I guess between the Ouano, Gameness, and Vulcan, I'd say go with whichever one offers the best fit. Or since you're overseas, go with whichever one offers the cheapest shipping!

Not sure what size you wear-- I wear an A1 in the Gameness Pearl (it's a little heavy and the pants are quite baggy, but overall good) and an M4 (girls' size) in the Keiko Raca... I love the Keiko! It is VERY light, but quite sturdy... the pants are much more comfortable... and it dries in about 6 hours (in the house w/AC on, hanging up on the closet door) If you're a small person I'd recommend the Keiko. Not sure if their adult sizes are made of the same material.

I also bought an Atama bleached summer weight and was not impressed, it was made of regular gi material (maybe a little thicker, but still twill/canvas-type material) and I'm sending it back.

I bought an ATAMA summer weight and also sent it back. The top is the same thickness and material as the pants - felt like it would rip after one roll.

Not sure what size you wear-- I wear an A1 in the Gameness Pearl (it's a little heavy and the pants are quite baggy, but overall good) and an M4 (girls' size) in the Keiko Raca... I love the Keiko! It is VERY light, but quite sturdy... the pants are much more comfortable... and it dries in about 6 hours (in the house w/AC on, hanging up on the closet door) If you're a small person I'd recommend the Keiko. Not sure if their adult sizes are made of the same material.

I also bought an Atama bleached summer weight and was not impressed, it was made of regular gi material (maybe a little thicker, but still twill/canvas-type material) and I'm sending it back.

I'm 5'7 150-155 lbs. would an A1 fit at all in Keiko Raca? I find that with mkimonos, A2 is way to big.

i really like the fuji single weaves. they're the lightest and fastest drying gi i've ever worn. check the review thread (it's quite large) for more information.

Back