Recommend a BJJ gym in Chicago

SilenceKit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good BJJ gym on the near Northside of Chicago (I live in Bucktown).

For context, I'm 40 and I have a demanding job, so I just want a place that is solid, convenient, and reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

They may have moved, but New Breed in Evanston treated me very well when I was out there

New Breed is still there. It's a long drive from Bucktown though.

I remember New Breed posting here that they've opened a location in Skokie, that should only be about 10 miles from Bucktown.

There is a Gracie Barra in Lincoln Square.

I've seen someone posting recently about Pete the Greek's Rio Jiu Jitsu school which I believe is near Fullerton & the Kennedy, probably closest to you.

Aesopian can't speak highly enough about Valko, and his opinion is pretty well respected around here.

Pedro Vianna, BTT Chicago. Two black belts there.

I greatly appreciate all of the suggestions. Thanks for helping me out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good BJJ gym on the near Northside of Chicago (I live in Bucktown).

For context, I'm 40 and I have a demanding job, so I just want a place that is solid, convenient, and reasonable.

Thanks in advance.

New Breed is now located in Skokie. www.newbreedchicago.com.

It's a short drive from Bucktown but the gym is great. We won NAGA Midwest in 2006 and 2007. There are a good number of Masters age guys who go to the gym as well. Feel free to stop by any Saturday as it's Open Mat and everyone is welcome. Or call Mark the owner...just note he will be out with the team in CA for the Pan-Ams later this week.

==

Otherwise the gyms mentioned in this thread are pretty good as well

:)

www.valkobjj.com

First two weeks are free. Not far from your area. All classes are beginner friendly. Academy is about a year old with classes six days a week so most classes are fairly small. Decent amount of guys around your age.

I recommend Valko in the River North neighborhood. Jay is a very good instructor. Hopefully, I'll return sometime around the beginning of April since I'm now working a full work week.

CHECK OUT MY GYM RIO JIU JITSU ACADEMY

Our adress is 1673 N. Western Ave Chicago Il 60647

Respectfully,

Pete The Greek Letsos
Blackbelt Carlson Gracie Team
Head Instructor Rio Jiu JItsu Academy

P.S. Anybody interested can email us at [email protected]

Pedro Vianna, BTT Chicago. Two black belts there.

i've trained w/ pedro. who's the other black belt? his bro? i have only trained sporadically for a year or so, though, so i don't really know.

i've trained w/ pedro. who's the other black belt? his bro? i have only trained sporadically for a year or so, though, so i don't really know.

Tulio...he's a judo black belt and bjj black belt.

i don't know if he still trains there though.

Back