Reccomended Sodium intake for weight loss

BigIsland

White Belt
Reaction score
noob here.

i know sodium is an essential part of your diet, but coming from a family with high blood pressure as well as being 40lbs overweight, i am trying to do what i can to cut sodium (as well as a bunch of other stuff) out.

I was reading that adults should take in < 2400mg per day, but im sure the number would be different considering my circumstances / goals.

so my question is... is cutting that in half a safe number? i try to aim for less than <1200 and my only sodium intake really comes from post workout protein shakes and the occasional diet coke. my diet is good and i cook without salt.

i do occasionally chomp on some sunflower seeds, but am unsure if this is okay. calorie wise a huge 99cent liquor store type bag only has 200 or so calories but its pretty salty. i work late nights at a studio and have picked up the sunflower habit as "something to do" to keep me awake and want to be sure this isnt going to affect my weight loss goals (late night sodium intake/too much sodium intake?)

thoughts and opinions and advice would be appreciated!

personally, i wouldn't worry about the sodium intake and worry more about the weight loss. the weight loss itself will probably lower bp if it was high to begin with

Do a search on here for "the low sodium myth" and then make an informed decision.

I eat as little as possible. but that's just me

i wouldn't make some big issue of it in regards to weight loss. if you want to cut it down though no processed food, and that's the long of the short of it. and buy a nice scale and actually measure what you add to your food.

Basically just stay away from processed foods. Most processed foods are just compltely loaded with salt. Everything from canned soups to potato chips, to bread and pastries, microwave meals, etc. Just a ton of salt in most of that.

You can get virtually all the salts and minerals your body needs just by eating whole foods, they contain salts in them. If you are NOT eating processed foods much at all and are exercising, and you want to eat salted nuts or put some salt on your steak or salad, go ahead, it is a miniscule amount compared to what a bag of chips has or what a QP vlaue meal at McDonalds has.

great advice cooks! im definitely trying to shy away from processed foods and the weekly numbers seem to be the best when hitting the scales weekly when i avoid lots of salt.

but then again thats just the number. i know water is retained more when salts are in the system right? so it could be just the difference in water weight

Personally I dont think sodium makes you "gain weight" per se, but rather retain water. That is why your weight might be lower when u are consuming less.

If I were you I woudl just avoid processed foods like suggested above, lightly salt your super bland foods, and most importantly, drink tons of water, like at least 1 gallon every day. If you do that, I woulndt worry or even calculate your sodium intake.

it is a miniscule amount compared to what a bag of chips has or what a QP vlaue meal at McDonalds has.

Man, I miss McDonalds badly! Ive only eaten it like 4 times this last year and each time was amazing lol.

ignore the sodium cutting it is pointless, if your eating a good balanced diet you have nothing to worry about , reducing sodium from your diet will likley do more harm than good , you need to maintain a healthy electrolyte balance , to shed 0.5-1 pound of excess fluid is really pointless if you are 40 pounds over weight, the only time you would want to do that is to make weight for a competition /fight as a last resort

Just don't eat processed foods (as everyone above has said) and don'r worry about it.

About McDonalds, yes it is awesome once in a blue moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back