Rear shoulder pain, left hooks and holding pads

ImmigrantMentality

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I injured my shoulders way back in 2015 and am just now getting back into training after a long layoff. Just yesterday we were working on combos that included left hooks and after a few hard ones I started to feel discomfort in my rear shoulder. Then when I started holding for my partner I noticed holding for his left hooks was bothering my shoulder as well. I don't even know if I would describe it as pain, it mostly just feels very sore, tender and weak. I don't think its a joint or bone issue either, its mostly the muscle right behind my shoulder, I think I may have pulled or strained it. Has anyone had experience with an injury similar to this one, and what was your experience? How long did it take to recover and how were you able to prevent reinjuring it?

I injured my shoulders way back in 2015 and am just now getting back into training after a long layoff. Just yesterday we were working on combos that included left hooks and after a few hard ones I started to feel discomfort in my rear shoulder. Then when I started holding for my partner I noticed holding for his left hooks was bothering my shoulder as well. I don't even know if I would describe it as pain, it mostly just feels very sore, tender and weak. I don't think its a joint or bone issue either, its mostly the muscle right behind my shoulder, I think I may have pulled or strained it. Has anyone had experience with an injury similar to this one, and what was your experience? How long did it take to recover and how were you able to prevent reinjuring it?

Shoulder physio exercises is what you need, going by your post to strengthen those shoulder ligaments and muscles.

I advise to see a good doctor though first before any further exercise treatment.

There are several little daily exercises you can do to strengthen the shoulder area again and ensure good healing and recovery.

how-strengthen-shoulder-ligaments.jpg

shoulder-anatomy-3d-medical-vector-illustration-with-arm-muscles-vector-id1143319806

Shoulder physio exercises is what you need, going by your post to strengthen those shoulder ligaments and muscles.

I advise to see a good doctor though first before any further exercise treatment.

There are several little daily exercises you can do to strengthen the shoulder area again and ensure good healing and recovery.

how-strengthen-shoulder-ligaments.jpg

shoulder-anatomy-3d-medical-vector-illustration-with-arm-muscles-vector-id1143319806
Yea I've spent a couple thousand the last couple years on physical therapy and mris that both came back clear. The pt has helped but I have not been able to get back to how I felt before the injuries and the doctors have not been able to accurately diagnose what my issue is either

Well its probably a micro tear or pinched nerve somewhere on your rear shoulder like a tendon, muscle ligament or something

f11bf3a431365c94de1b183e0cd645f55d4201a7.jpg

I would cease hard training immediately and focus on remedial exercises on the target area.

Another exercise I do is just a simple shoulder twirl, by slight bending over with the opposite arm hold up against to something like a wall then with the arm just twirl it around in a circle and then forward and back as well daily.

Like this.......

Pendulum-swing.jpg

Ensure you always do 10-15min stretching easing slowly into it prior to exercising.

Example:-

Neck,%20Shoulders%20&%20Arms%20Stretches%20001.jpg

Another solution apply some Dit Dat Jow to all your joints ( hands, elbows, neck, hips, knees, ankles and feet) Link:- https://ditdajow.com/

What might help as well is when showering start warm then finish with a cold shower.

Also if you can find a place that uses the old method of Sauna treatments using tea tree over coal rocks will really help.

Good Link:- https://www.finnleo.com/pages/health-and-wellness

Other than that keep seeing various doctors for opinions always first option and physiotherapy exercise and consultation.

I know aches and pains eat into the mind as well so the above options should help, but if you feel extreme pain then stop.

I use the above approach to aid my own little issues, recently had a thumb issues now 90% percent better some areas of the body take years to heal as you get older and I'm 47 now. :confused:

So I'm more inclined to believe you have chronic pain due to tendon/ligament trauma.

Got to be careful and know when to stop listen to your body.

Last edited:
You need a good rehab program for whatever imbalance you now have, it's probably a muscular imbalance, you just need to figure out what exercises are required to rectify it........

I've had problems with weak shoulders for as long as i can remember. About 2 months ago i started doing isometric wall pushes for my shoulder's. It really works and i can hit harder since i dont have to worry about the pain. Only do these exercises twice a week since it makes your shoulders very sore.

Yesterday I resumed training after taking a week off. My shoulder was feeling better but after throwing left hook combinations, my shoulder again started to bother me. I just replaced all the left hooks with a jab in the combinations and the pain went away. That may just be my plan from here on out, I'm more of a lean rangy body type anyways so a jab is a far better tool for me. Ill try to add in more uppercut and focus on more horizontal elbows, since vertical elbows actually bothers my shoulder as well.

Lots of little things you can or do incrementally with care one is also using a Tennis Ball and Role action as you lay down.

Like this......

tennis-ball-back-pain-main-1518560043.jpg

Over use can cause strain and wear so spend a good portion of your training time on remedial / warmup / stretching / conditioning its really an important part of training.

Some ignore this aspect till its to late with irreversible damage then you need implant surgery.

I'm a fitness trainer as well however not a physio therapist.

There is lots of online help or suggestive advice if you know your problem after clearing it with doctors like Youtubes and images that will help you find a good solution and work with.

(Always get good advice from other physios with exercises that help you)

Last edited:
you could be holding mitts wrong, which could be causing pain, dont hold the pad and let him just punch it, you need to sort of play patty cake with his punches and "catch" them. maybe your doing it right and its just your previous shoulder injury acting up? If thats the case move to paddles instead, that will solve the problem. I had shoulder surgery in the past and dont have any problems holding mitts.

Back