Rear Naked Choke with Left Arm

Cardio

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
When I first learned the RNC, I started doing it with my left arm and got very good at sinking it, but most instructionals I see they use their right arm.

Should I keep doing my RNC like this or switch over to using the right arm?

Cardio said:
When I first learned the RNC, I started doing it with my left arm and got very good at sinking it, but most instructionals I see they use their right arm.

Should I keep doing my RNC like this or switch over to using the right arm?
I really hope this is a very pathetic attempt at trolling, but just in case it is'nt:

You should practice the RNC (and every other technique you use) on both sides, you will alomst certainly develop a favourite side to perform each. Which you use when competing or sparring does not depend upon your personal preference, but instead on what your opponent gives you. If you only practise on the left arm but your opponent then leaves himself open for you to sink it with your right, what are you going to do? Wait for him to change sides, or politely ask him to defend with his other arm because you never practiced on that side? No, you sink your right arm under his chin and make him tap.

The reason you'll see most people do it on the right side in instructionals is because they are probably right handed, I'm left handed and so prefer to use my left arm, I still practise both.

ParazIT said:
either its bad trolling or his a noobie

Probably just a guy learning. No need to be a dick. I find that as a new guy, it is better for me to just learn moves from one position and practice it over and over. That way, I am good at it from 1 side and not crappy at it from both sides. Once I get it down, I try to work it from other positions, setups, etc..

With the RNC, you should be able to get it from whatever side you feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter what arm you use.

b0b said:
Probably just a guy learning. No need to be a dick. I find that as a new guy, it is better for me to just learn moves from one position and practice it over and over. That way, I am good at it from 1 side and not crappy at it from both sides. Once I get it down, I try to work it from other positions, setups, etc..

With the RNC, you should be able to get it from whatever side you feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter what arm you use.
I always feel that this sets up bad habits, youre first bunxh of attempts should be on one side but you should never leave a session having learnt something and only done it on one side. I know people who tend to emphasise one side of their game and it really shows, they are easy as hell to sweep and can be baited on their weak side to make them easy to improve position upon or sub.

I am also relatively new, but I usually try moves from both sides especially in no-gi. It may be easier from one side; however, it feels different from the other one. Therefore, I can notice different things on each side and get better technique overall.

Practice it with both sides. You will have a favorite, most likley your left arm, but you need both. My armbars from guard are 50% better on my right than left and I need to work on that.

I say stick with left hand i mean left-handers have better records.And thats a fact

you know what do what ever way feels comfortable to you, the only thing i suggest that for versitility be able to switch.

Back