rear naked choke question.

Morid!n

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The regular RNC choke is performed with one arm across the throat and grabbing the bicep of the other arm who grabs the opponents forehead.

Why isn't the "forehead arm" who is grabbed by the "choke arm" put on the back of the opponents head? If the forehead arm is removed by the opponent, the choke loses most of its leverage. By putting the forehead arm behind the head it's harder to get out of the RNC. Also, You can generate way more force and leverage that way I think.

Why isn't a RNC performed like that in mma?

Err I've never understood why a RNC can be performed with the hand of the non-choking arm at the forehead. I always thought it was supposed to be on the crown at the back of the head but not too low as most people do. I also seen it with the hand of the non-choking arm grabbing your opposite shoulder for increased leverage ala Mario Sperry, and this almost totally negates your opponent being able to remove your arm.
The other way is to clasp your hands together which can be quicker to put on.

i actually can't recall ever seeing the RNC performed with the non-choking arm on the forehead...

I've always seen, performed, and have been taught to perform the RNC by taking your non-choking arm around the back of your opponents head - I then puff my chest out by breathing in and by also putting my hips into it.

Indeed, I have never seen the non-choking hand on the forehead, dunno what you are talking about. Some guys like to put their palm on the back of the head and push so that it gives opposing leverage instead of just squeezing, others like to put it simply in back of the head to fill space and squeeze. I am not sure which one is superior.

i think the choke is meant to have the hand on the back of the head for leverage and to stop the person being choked from headbutting you in the face. i'm trying to imagine with it on the forhead and it just makes no sense.

Isn't hand-on-the-forehead pro-wrasslin' style?

Anyone ever do it one-armed, by grabbing the back of your own head with the hand or your choking arm?

it might help stretch the neck out and increase the surface area that your choking arm is attacking. on that note, i've never tried it that way.

now that i think about it it seems like you may be talking about a head and arm choke, or a half choke as some people call it. in this choke you do the same motion with your own arms as a RNC but trapping your opponents arm in an arm triangle. another difference here is the person being choked is facing in the opposite direction that you are.

sorry for the bad explanation, you most likley know what it is anyhow.

I'm not talking about an armtriangle, an armtriangle cuts of an artery to the head.
A RNC cuts of air

And every time I saw a RNC performed in mma it was with the non-choking arm on the forehead
Hughes vs Trigg I&II, Herring over Erikson, ...

Morid!n said:
I'm not talking about an armtriangle, an armtriangle cuts of an artery to the head.
A RNC cuts of air

No, a properly applied RNC definitely cuts off blood, not air.

Morid!n said:
A RNC cuts of air

And every time I saw a RNC performed in mma it was with the non-choking arm on the forehead

As far as I know, the RNC should cut off the flow of blood to the head cause it'll knock your opponent out quicker(what, like 9 seconds)

The RNC is designed to crush in on the caroited arteries which run on the side of the neck. It is make to cut the blood flow not air. Most people put the hand on the back of the head not the forehead. A better way to apply the hold is not to grab your own bicep but clap your hands together using the non choke arm ot push on the back/shoulder area of your opponent. This way when your opponent pulls on your hand to counter the hold, he is pulling his own shooulder forward. Watch Hughs vs triggs second fight .

www.Kibuninc.com

Morid!n said:
A RNC cuts of air

its the non-chocking arm to the back of the head. always has and always will be. so stop watching WWE's Sleeper holds. Cuase thats not how you really do it. :icon_twis

I was told to actually grab my shoulder, not my bicep, when applying a RNC. Grabbing the bicep leaves room for an easier escape and applies less pressure.

However, I think for a wind-pipe choke, you could grab your bicep like he's said, although I think traditionally you actually lock your hands.

Ozurumba said:
its the non-chocking arm to the back of the head. always has and always will be. so stop watching WWE's Sleeper holds. Cuase thats not how you really do it. :icon_twis
No, seriously?:eek:
just joking, I know the difference but perhaps I didn't phrase my question correctly.
From what I learned at judo-class you always put the non-choking arm on the back of your opponents head, I was just wondering why it isn't applied like that in MMA.

and idd, it cuts of blood suply, I stand corrected (practised it the other day).
If you clasp your hands together you can't generate as much pressure when you grab the bicep.

Raging_Fists said:
i actually can't recall ever seeing the RNC performed with the non-choking arm on the forehead....

I can...its called a 'sleeper hold' in pro rasslin'. Dont do sleeper holds, put your hand on the back of his head. You may want to put your hand on his forehead and pull his head back to get your choking arm in deeper but then go to the back of the head and push to sink it some more.

Back