Rear Mount Troubleshooting

lethalazn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I keep having people try to lean foward or stand up AND lean foward so I can hopefully fall off and onto my head or something when I get rear mount (yes complete with harness) and I can't flatten them in time (or I just happen to be too damn small to do it)

I know I can roll into an armbar but anyone who knows what they're doing is going to protect their arm right away.

Any tips on how to stay on? Am i not doing something with the harness? am I totally fucked if they stand up and lean foward?

Your weight's too far forward and too attached to your opponent, bro.

I used to have this problem ALL the time. Now when I get someone's back and they are turtled up, I don't get on top of them and try to flatten. Instead, I stay back by their hips -- with most of my weight on the floor- and I rock them diagonally backwards. If you picture the guy on a clock, with his head pointing towards 12 o'clock, you want to pull him back to about 4:30 or 7:30. That's where his base is weak. Once you break his base, you can start to work on getting your hooks in.

This combos really well with the clock choke. You can go back and forth. If he blocks the clock choke, pull him backwards. If he manages to base against that, he'll forget about defending the clock choke. Also if he manages to base, you can go the other way. For example if you try to pull him to 4:30, he has to base by moving his weight to the other side, then you can pull him to 7:30 or even jump over him and roll him that way.

Once your sensitivity and timing have improved, you will be able to "ride" your opponent without them pulling you over the top. Right now, I recommend you stay back and try to establish your back mount by breaking his base where it's weak, rather than trying to flatten them out.

Good luck!

I agree. But something that works for me as far as just not being rocked forward, is to put my arms behind the guys armpits to keep me from going forward it works but you risk having your arms trapt. But it does prevent you from being thrown over the top.

Thanks guys

since I (usually) do No-Gi, any substitute for the clock choke in setting up taking the back?

There are some no-gi choke alternatives, but I'm not very familiar with them. Saulo shows a few chokes from side ride on his Freestyle Revolution series, but I can't really remember them. I also learned a no-gi clock choke from Soneca at a seminar, but it isn't very high-percentage imo.

I would just forget about the choke. Try to pull him to one side; if he resists, pull him the other way.

I wish I had something new to add but Masada555's post is on point. In no gi, you really don't have that many options. I prefer being on the side or with one hook in.

I used to have this problem ALL the time. Now when I get someone's back and they are turtled up, I don't get on top of them and try to flatten. Instead, I stay back by their hips -- with most of my weight on the floor- and I rock them diagonally backwards. If you picture the guy on a clock, with his head pointing towards 12 o'clock, you want to pull him back to about 4:30 or 7:30. That's where his base is weak. Once you break his base, you can start to work on getting your hooks in.

I like to get the harness/seat belt once they turtle and roll on the shoulder of the arm that's across his chest

Thanks guys

since I (usually) do No-Gi, any substitute for the clock choke in setting up taking the back?

Armdrag, take back. As for no-gi armbars from back I grab like a kimura grip, if i'm gonna take his left arm I grab his wrist with my right hand over his right shoulder, and grab my right wrist with my left hand, then put your left leg across both his legs/belly and use bring your right arm over his head and kick your right leg over, the whole time maintaining the grip.

Back