Reach a help or hinderance?

goosebumps88*

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having really long arms..78 inches at 160 pounds with a height of 5 foot 11...is this a major hinderance too ju jitsu and wrestling? does it help with some things? or is it pretty much entirely negative for grappling? thanks

Long limbs is ALWAYS an advantage IMO. I cant think of any way a long legged/armed guy has a disadvantage. Eary on its going to feel like you are easy to arm lock or move around, but trust me, once you have a few years behind you, people are going to HATE those long limbs.

Long limbs is ALWAYS an advantage IMO. I cant think of any way a long legged/armed guy has a disadvantage. Eary on its going to feel like you are easy to arm lock or move around, but trust me, once you have a few years behind you, people are going to HATE those long limbs.

sweet :icon_chee

Almost every thing except getting armbarred yourself. For example when shooting for takedowns, ideally you want your hips to be very close to him, but you get some slack if your reach is insane. If you get a single leg, it'll be easier to finish to a double.

If playing closed guard and you want to break his posture, it'll be easier to pull him down (combined with proper technique etc).

Overall, having long reach is a plus.

I hate it when sparring a guy who has long legs and a good spider guard. Its a pain in the arse to pass the guard. I think it also helps with some lockdown techniques.

The only hindrences I can think of is in some of the half guard passes.

Their are negatives too.

Higher center of gravity making it a little easier for you to be taken down.

If you're feet are large it is much easier to sink a heel hook, and toe holds are more prone to injure the knee. You will be almost immune to achilles locks though, unless you're opponent is a master at positioning.

You're legs will be a pain for your opponents to pass, but once they do pass it will be more difficult for you to replace guard than it would be for a short legged person.

You can trap people in triangles very quickly, but long legs may keep you from locking it in as tight as someone with shorter legs.

For every positive your long range your body provides, their will be a negative. That is the yin and yang of bjj that you will have to deal with, and it is the element that allows any body type to beat any other body type.

I've got really long limbs, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.:icon_chee

Their are negatives too.

If you're feet are large it is much easier to sink a heel hook, and toe holds are more prone to injure the knee. You will be almost immune to achilles locks though, unless you're opponent is a master at positioning.

You're legs will be a pain for your opponents to pass, but once they do pass it will be more difficult for you to replace guard than it would be for a short legged person.

You can trap people in triangles very quickly, but long legs may keep you from locking it in as tight as someone with shorter legs.

For every positive your long range your body provides, their will be a negative. That is the yin and yang of bjj that you will have to deal with, and it is the element that allows any body type to beat any other body type.

Excellent and informative post. Im not that tall (5,10) but I have large feet which people really hook on to when im passing their half guards.

Im ok with most people who are close to my size but have a problem with the people at the extremes.

Their are negatives too.

I'm not even sure if you read his post, he said he has long arms.

his point being all your negatives were around long legs.

Reach in ANY combat sport is a plus, period. There are things to work around, but short asses have a tougher time generally down the road in BJJ, whereas the long limbed guys have it tougher at first.

his point being all your negatives were around long legs.

Reach in ANY combat sport is a plus, period. There are things to work around, but short asses have a tougher time generally down the road in BJJ, whereas the long limbed guys have it tougher at first.

Correct, thats what he was talking about. But unfortunately the topic title, including his post was referring to his arm reach, hence "Having really long arms." I wouldn't automatically assume someone that says, "Im not that tall (5,10)", has long legs.

But yes I agree being longer gives you more potential with technique in the long run. One of the major exceptions is being Marcelo Garcia, since he has developed a great system for his body type.

Okay than. Lets assume reach is referring to arms and only arms (ie: not limbs). Exactly how many advantages do long arms bring in grappling?

I know it will be easier for his opponents to chicken wing him, but that's not really a positive is it.

Everyone has to adapt to their own anatomy. If you're looking for anatomical excuses you need to expand your perspective on grappling. JJ Machado has a deformed hand that doesn't allow him to Gi grip as well as others.

JJ Machado has a deformed hand that doesn't allow him to Gi grip as well as others.

And that same hand allows him to slip in a gi choke like he was using a pair of pliers against you.

yin and yang

Back