Rather dumb question..

HavenMess

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Ok first I will apologize for this question, I did a search, and read through the stickies and came up with zero :redface:. SO I though I would ask, I have been training BJJ for about 3 months now. My question are there any schools out there that have more of a focus on "wrestling" and submissions as opposed to BJJ. I have heard of submission wrestling but can't seem find any schools. I am looking for more wrestling tailored take downs, grappling, and submissions, but thus far have yet to find a school. Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

i think i speak for all when i thank you for your apology regarding the stupid question. bjj= grappling and submissions. if you want takedowns do wrestling as well.
judo or sambo maybe an option for you as well as they are geared towards the takedown while still practicing the ground game.

^^^^ Unfortunately most BJJ academies and gyms don't focus much on the takedown. Find somebody that is a good wrestler and have them show you some things. I found someone that wrestled for years and years, and met up with him at open mat and worked on over/under hooks, head control, arm drags, shots, etc.

Catch wrestling is basically wrestling with submissions, but there are hardly any schools around and they all argue with each other over what is true catch.

Judo focuses a lot on throws as apposed to traditional wrestling type take downs but would seem to cross train well with wrestling. Depending on the school there may be more or less ground work and subs taught.

Sambo has a good mix of takedowns and subs but there aren't many schools around.

Basically it depends on the school. No one art has a monopoly on grappling. Except BJJ is the best :D

VMAT, run by Vladimir Matyushenko, is your school. Also Eric Paulson teaches this style. But I don't know why you would ask this question without saying where you live, since you're unlikely to move somewhere just for the school.

VMAT, run by Vladimir Matyushenko, is your school. Also Eric Paulson teaches this style. But I don't know why you would ask this question without saying where you live, since you're unlikely to move somewhere just for the school.

Minnesota, sorry I thought it was listed down there under the avatar, guess not. :redface:

Minnesota, sorry I thought it was listed down there under the avatar, guess not. :redface:

Minnesota Martial arts academy. Greg Nelson is a submission wrestling instructor under paulson, a shooto instrutor under Nakamura and a BJJ blackbelt under Sauer. My instructor speaks highly of him. And he is sherk's head trainer.

My old English professor used to say: "There are no dumb questions. Only dumb people."

Go to a BJJ school that has No-Gi classes
find a wrestling gym or a wrestling team to train with
combine them together
Voila! problem solved...

You'll get more takedowns in an MMA gym that in a straight BJJ gym.

Ok first I will apologize for this question, I did a search, and read through the stickies and came up with zero :redface:. SO I though I would ask, I have been training BJJ for about 3 months now. My question are there any schools out there that have more of a focus on "wrestling" and submissions as opposed to BJJ. I have heard of submission wrestling but can't seem find any schools. I am looking for more wrestling tailored take downs, grappling, and submissions, but thus far have yet to find a school. Any help pointing me in the right direction is much appreciated.

learn the BJJ and if you want better takedowns work with wrestlers on the side. chances are there are a few wrestlers that you train with. if you train with a wrestler that does not do submissions make sure you work with submission people to make sure it will work. a good example is.... wrestlers will often drive forward when taking down and will expose their neck.
like cro-cop vs. randleman 2 or that skinny english kid that choked out matt grice.

Back