Rate my work company Christmas party plan

need details, how many people. average age of these guests, what kind of work do you do, are you in the country or the city, kids comming or adults only, etc.

I would prefer something more small with some snacks and few drinks and some extra money.

All sounds like great ideas and plans. I worked for one company that rented out a top of the line luxury Hotel and banquet room with bands, DJs, and incredible food. We would get hammered and lived like kings for the night. The owner handed out cash bonuses, prizes etc. I stayed BECAUSE of that party for years. It made the stress worth it.

Ok guys, so you gave a lot of good advice when I asked awhile back what would make a job better. I’ve taken that advice and tried to run with it. I think it was a success.

Since that went well, I’m going to ask you to rate my plan for a Christmas party for my staff and you can add some suggestions etc.

Things are going very good. I’m living my dream every day because of my all star employees and we’ve been killing it. The company is growing to the rate the hardest part of running it is sustaining and managing that growth and making sure it’s manageable.

Anyways, I wanted to give some back for Christmas. I try to keep a close knit, team atmosphere which comes from my hockey career. I want my employees to feel proud to work for me. That’s very important. I invest a lot in little stuff like apparel, get together and stuff. I give free tickets to the local hockey games where I play and host weekly (when I can) drinks at my house or the garage.

For the Christmas party, I have planned so far to have a catering service come in and serve everybody and their spouses / partners dinner. I will have an open bar for everybody. I prepared a speech to thank everybody and I have a good band that will set up and play for entertainment. I’m going to do all of this at our shop. I’m also giving out $1000 bills (we’re canadian and they’ve been out of circulation for 20+ years) to either cash in or collect in a card. I thought it would put a cool spin on the gift and they can be exchanged at the bank for face value anyways.

Is there anything you’d suggest? Any advice? I’m nervous about this. I want to knock it out of the park. It means a lot to me to ensure these people feel appreciated and have a fun night. I’ll change any plans if anybody can convince me and I’ll add / take away stuff too. I just really want to get this right. I had our first annual one last year at my house and i think it was a success but I want to take this to the next level. I want my team to feel proud and grateful to I work for me.

Lame.

Nothing says Christmas like coke and hookers... just saying.

need details, how many people. average age of these guests, what kind of work do you do, are you in the country or the city, kids comming or adults only, etc.
14 of us plus spouses for at least 6-7 of us. No kids. Age is all over the place from 20-65. We do contracting work so electricians and millwrights / apprentices. Blue collar, small town group.

Hold on you got blue collar crew and gonna have open bar?

Please wear a gopro and stream party for us

Ok guys, so you gave a lot of good advice when I asked awhile back what would make a job better. I’ve taken that advice and tried to run with it. I think it was a success.

Since that went well, I’m going to ask you to rate my plan for a Christmas party for my staff and you can add some suggestions etc.

Things are going very good. I’m living my dream every day because of my all star employees and we’ve been killing it. The company is growing to the rate the hardest part of running it is sustaining and managing that growth and making sure it’s manageable.

Anyways, I wanted to give some back for Christmas. I try to keep a close knit, team atmosphere which comes from my hockey career. I want my employees to feel proud to work for me. That’s very important. I invest a lot in little stuff like apparel, get together and stuff. I give free tickets to the local hockey games where I play and host weekly (when I can) drinks at my house or the garage.

For the Christmas party, I have planned so far to have a catering service come in and serve everybody and their spouses / partners dinner. I will have an open bar for everybody. I prepared a speech to thank everybody and I have a good band that will set up and play for entertainment. I’m going to do all of this at our shop. I’m also giving out $1000 bills (we’re canadian and they’ve been out of circulation for 20+ years) to either cash in or collect in a card. I thought it would put a cool spin on the gift and they can be exchanged at the bank for face value anyways.

Is there anything you’d suggest? Any advice? I’m nervous about this. I want to knock it out of the park. It means a lot to me to ensure these people feel appreciated and have a fun night. I’ll change any plans if anybody can convince me and I’ll add / take away stuff too. I just really want to get this right. I had our first annual one last year at my house and i think it was a success but I want to take this to the next level. I want my team to feel proud and grateful to I work for me.

Sounds perfect to me sir.
Had some of my bosses thought this way, I might still be working for them lol.

Who wouldn't love that?!
{<jordan}

But besides pushing your employees to watch their boss play hockey in their free time your party plans sound solid.

I agree on no hard liquor.

I loled at this. But I know @ThaiSexPills isn't like that because of his post history. But still it's funny.

My advice, when there is an open bar, is serve way more food than you think. Variety and quantity. It will almost certainly dodge a couple of excessive boozers.
Make the idea of free rides home before hand transparent well in advance. That way you avoid issues with couples and shit like that stressing out about transport. I think I recall you are out of town so that might be on people's minds? You can probably cheaply hire a mini bus force the night to shuttle to town all night, that is so cool for people.
A obvious thing, but send out the date a long ass time in advance people need notice and are disorganised.

You could also ask around if people have issues finding baby sitters and offer to pay if they don't. This can fuck with people's minds and they don't see the value proposition and it can mess with their planning for those with kids.

Otherwise just get coked up and start a blowjob competition like normal guys nights

this is going to sound corny but if you commit to it early in the party, it is a good way to kick things off especially with a younger active crowd. Play a couple of minute to win it games. there are a bunch of really easy really active ones that only need a couple of items you might already have.....cookie face- junk in the trunk- the one where you bounce ping pong balls into red cups and keep stacking them until it gets all wobbly and the one where you wrap little gifts in cellophane ball and have to unwrap it with oven mitts on while the other person rolls dice to get control of the prize ball.(for 20 people make 2 balls and split to 10 each don't make the balls too big or wrap too tight or it can suck)....we've done these as in office work party stuff and it always goes over big....it helps if you have a competitive younger group, do them all at once or start one as teams to get everyone involved..Only plan two or 3 just to get things started and do them before you put out food...."Come on in, grab a drink and and I'm going to give everyone a cookie to put on their foreheads not eat.....look simple minute to win it games up on youtube Hope that helps

Open bar is a little dangerous, as someone who's a great employee can turn out to be an angry drunk.

If it were me I'd consider losing the hard liquor and have free beer/wine.

But if it's a small group and you trust them then do whatever you want. Be prepared to pay for Uber rides for everyone just in case. Figure out logistics now, like whether they're going to get a ticket parked outside overnight.

Sounds like you have the rest figured out. Drinks, music, prizes, that's all they really need. They love to get recognized in front of their spouses too so as the boss I always try to walk around and tell the spouses "You know you should be very proud of your husband, he worked so hard on abc project." And things like that.

Or you can give out formal awards, like best performer of the year in each category

The company I worked for stopped having Christmas parties because they ended up in fights. When the company was sold after the owner died, the new owners started having Christmas parties again and stopped after the first two resulted in fights and arrests for indecent exposure, fighting and drunk driving.

This sucks, man. So bad so, that I'd actively look for ways to screw you over.
JK seems great. Happy Holidays.

it was last weekend but thanks again Sherbros, it went better than I could have possibly imagined tbh. I took all of your ideas and tried to implement them. Everybody had fun and the unexpected gift had a few emotional reactions actually. No DUI’s, no fist fights and only one person vomited. The drinks flowed more than I had hoped but no issues. Next year, maybe I will limit them a bit incase of potential issues but it went off without any issues.

One of the guys who works for me who I indentured to be an industrial mechanic’s wife was in tears and came up and thanked me profusely and I got a little emotional too. It felt good to make my guys happy so I decided that everybody was getting Turkey too. Today, after work everybody is meeting me at the shop to receive their Christmas turkeys except one guy who wanted a ham.

Unreal time. It was well worth the money. As a hockey player, I know the importance of team building events like this. I’m beyond grateful for how things have been going and how tight my crew is. It’s a great feeling to take the keys, run your own ship and watch it succeed. Middle management is garbage - if you’re trapped in it and have a way out, go for it!

Have a merry Christmas Sherbros. You guys rock. This is like the 4th time I asked for advice for something like this on here and received good stuff. You guys should be billing me for consulting tbh

Yea sounds like a good plan. If you're worried about them overdrinking maybe do a toonie bar where they have to buy tickets instead of an open bar. That way if someones really drunk already they will have to go through the trouble of buying tickets and exchanging them for drinks before they got another drink that might put them over the edge. Also you can cut off ticket sales at a certain point so theres an excuse so people have to stop drinking at some point.

Also go out of your way to praise the spouses/partners of you employees as well during your speech. Talk about how you know how demanding of a job it is on your employees and they couldn't do it without the support of their partner etc. They did this at my fiancees xmas partly recently, it was a nice bit of unexpected brown nosing.

1000 dollar bill bonus is a wicked idea I've lived in Canada my whole life and never seen one.

Back