Media Rarest/Most Exotic Submissions in the UFC/MMA (gif heavy)

Flex Plexico

customized Gucci accessories
@Silver
Reaction score
So I was walking the dog the other night and started a list of rare mma submissions and was wondering if anybody wanted to help me expand/correct it

I'm not including standard versions of things like straight armbars, triangles, anaconda/brabos, guillotines, RNCs, arm triangles or heel hooks. I will include some of the preceding subs if they are applied with an interesting setup like a flying armbar...

I don't really have any criteria for submissions to qualify as rare, except for them not appearing on the list above. Not looking at any numbers/stats to help decide what's what...

these can be subs that might have not actually happened yet in mma competition, but are theoretically possible as outcomes in an mma fight, eg no collar chokes or w/e. Also includes some subs that might not still be legal in modern competition.

I'm not a bjj practitioner btw, as some of you might be able to tell. I just find submissions in general to be fascinating. Please correct me where I inevitably get things wrong

here's what I've got so far, with gifs when I can find em↓

Calf/Bicep Slicer
i27007_DoBronx4.gif

Ezekiel Choke
yN7zWL.gif
giphy.gif

Ninja Choke (power Guillotine?)
Cyrille_Diabat__vs._Ilir_Latifi.gif
danmillerbrutalguillotine.gif

Gogoplata
diazvsgomi.gif

Omoplata
saunders_heatherly.gif
thank you @Ben Saunders

Pillory Choke
55555.gif

Twister
NPkWBlw.gif

Electric Chair
m3-5.gif

Banana Split
jones_holmes.gif

Scarfhold arm/headlock
p55s.gif
markos_herrig.gif

Front Chancery

North-South Choke
2itfp7q.jpg

Peruvian Necktie
hvs6z4_jpg.gif

Japanese Necktie
vepyxc.gif

Flying Armbar/Triangle
giphy.gif
PLuAutQ.gif

Reverse Triangle
2rzz8xw.gif

pt. 2 to come

Last edited:
pt. 2

Standing Arm Triangle
6s77zl.gif

Gogo Choke or 10 finger Guillotine(?)
RequiredHandmadeArcticduck-size_restricted.gif

Mir-Lock
tumblr_mbsj5zROKf1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Toe Hold/Kneebar
lesnartaps_medium.gif

Scissor Heel Hook
965685_o.gif

Von Flue/Shoulder Choke
Ovince+St.+Preux+Von+Flue+Chokes+Nikita+Krylov+UFC+171.gif

Chin-to-eye***
Screen_Shot_2015-06-02_at_7.54.20_PM.0.0.png

Smother
tumblr_nianlczncI1tbl8wbo2_400.gif

Double Armbar
ZKJloo.gif
@Diet Otsuka

Standing Shoulder Crank
UFC172-JonesXTeixeira-R4e-ShoulderCrank-400-sg.gif

Body Triangle

Bulldog Choke
Urijah%2BFaber%2BBulldog%2BChokes%2BFrancisco%2BRivera%2B-%2BUFC%2B181.gif

Suloev Stretch
Suloev-Stretch.gif

Inverted Triangle Kimura
RockholdUFC.gif

Mounted Triangle Armbar
pepey_johnson.gif

Armbar from Back
UFC84_Palhares-Salaverry-slo.gif~c200

One Armed Mounted Guillotine
rockhold_bisping.gif

Weird Omoplata Armbar(??) situation
juy45c.jpg

Leg Scissors (LOL)
this_is_how_randy_tea_bags_me_medium.gif

Neck Crank
Demian+Maia+Neck+Cranks+Rick+Story+UFC+153.gif

help me clean up this mess↑

EDIT: @Roop Holstry addition↓
Helicopter Armbar
26xBB58iuOIIcQJI4.gif

I want to add the rest of Roop’s awesome additions, but I've reached the 20 image per post blockade, sadly. Be sure to check them out later in the thread- they're awesome.

also check below↓ for a Boston Crab (!) sub and a Grapevine sub posted by @TCE

@Roop Holstry also brings up the Can Opener submission

Edit: sheeit- somehow I forgot the Neck Crank! gah
thanks to @Zeroinnes for reminding me

Last edited:
So I was walking the dog the other night and started a list of rare mma submissions and was wondering if anybody wanted to help me expand/correct it

I'm not including standard versions of things like straight armbars, triangles, anaconda/brabos, guillotines, RNCs, arm triangles or heel hooks. I will include some of the preceding subs if they are applied with an interesting setup like a flying armbar...

I don't really have any criteria for submissions to qualify as rare, except them not appearing in the list above. Not looking at any numbers/graphs to help decide what's what...

these can be subs that might have not actually happened yet in mma competition, but are theoretically possible as outcomes in an mma fight, eg no collar chokes or w/e. Also includes some subs that might not still be legal in modern competition.

I'm not a bjj practitioner btw, as some of you might be able to tell. I just find submissions in general to be fascinating. Please correct me where I inevitably get things wrong

here's what I've got so far, with gifs when I can find em↓

Calf/Bicep Slicer
i27007_DoBronx4.gif

Ezekiel Choke
yN7zWL.gif
giphy.gif

Ninja Choke (power Guillotine?)
Cyrille_Diabat__vs._Ilir_Latifi.gif
danmillerbrutalguillotine.gif

Gogoplata
diazvsgomi.gif

Omoplata
saunders_heatherly.gif
thank you @Ben Saunders

Pillory Choke
55555.gif

Twister
NPkWBlw.gif

Electric Chair
m3-5.gif

Banana Split
jones_holmes.gif

Scarfhold arm/headlock
p55s.gif

Front Chancery

North-South Choke
2itfp7q.jpg

Peruvian Necktie
hvs6z4_jpg.gif

Japanese Necktie
vepyxc.gif

Flying Armbar/Triangle
giphy.gif
PLuAutQ.gif

Reverse Triangle
2rzz8xw.gif

pt. 2 to come

Great thread.

Wikipedia is calling Salaverry v Fryklund a body triangle and Couch Potato is claling it an anaconda body lock, but i thought it was a back breaker (it was definitely a pain sub, arching Fryklund's back against own cup.)

anyway, you can find it at 1:50 of

BTW, that couch potato page i listed above may have some that you missed. i didn't compare very closely

i have a distinct memory of Randleman screaming in pain, and (i think it was) Coleman yelling at him "don't worry it's just a pain sub, don't tap!" but for the life of me i cannot remember against who. maybe Shogun?

hold on, i'll be back in 10 minutes (just remembered i paid for fightpass a few months ago)

EDIT: i think i'm merging memories, because yes Randleman was screaming in pain, but i didn't see anyone (e.g. Coleman) telling him "don't worry it's just a pain move".

anyway, it's a great addition, simply because Randleman's leg is taco'd against his body:

Last edited:
i have a distinct memory of Randleman screaming in pain, and (i think it was) Coleman yelling at him "don't worry it's just a pain sub, don't tap!" but for the life of me i cannot remember against who. maybe Shogun?

hold on, i'll be back in 10 minutes (just remembered i paid for fightpass a few months ago)
I'm curious

I think Shogun kneebar'd him, right?

EDIT: i think i'm merging memories, because yes Randleman was screaming in pain, but i didn't see anyone (e.g. Coleman) telling him "don't worry it's just a pain move".

anyway, it's a great addition, simply because Randleman's leg is taco'd against his body:

what a fight

love the refs slapping at Randleman's cage-grabbing hand

and lol at 1:20 of the video where Shogun is basically doing this:
The+best+i+could+come+up+with+_824ac4699512dcffa988b5dbb3d02534.gif

Back