Rany Yahrya Wins No Gi Tourney

johil d'o

Thought Warrior
@Black
Reaction score
Rany Yahrya defeated Parrumphina (by 2-0 in 3rd overtime) in the first round, and then defeated Jeff Glover 4-0 in the first overtime of the final to take the pro division of the first No Gi Tournament held today in Redondo Beach, CA.

Many other excellent guys competed. I thought Bill Cooper in the advanced division looked very tough and talented. Dean Lister had many good students competing -- Dean had more than one confrontation with the officials.

Many bighshots in attendance, including Nino Elvis Schembri (Ricco didn't show up so Nino got a bye), Rickson, Liborio, Dean Lister, etc. It was a lot of fun.

That's fuckin weak. I can't believe Ricco didn't show up. I guess he didn't want to get tapped out by another guy half his weight.

Exactly right Lobo! Ricco is a complete tool for pulling that one.

First off, I'm not sure on why Ricco didn't fight, I'm sure there are two sides to the story, but the word I heard from a referee is that they were unable to agree upon money last night. So the fans lost out.

The tourney would have run a lot sooner if Rani and Parrumpinha didn't go so long. They only used 1 mat at that point and once it went on like 30 minutes, they decided to start up more matches on another mat.

Parrumpinha was awesome as was Rani. Man, some good exchanges between the two. Parrumpinha would have gotten 2 takedowns but the rule is that if you get taken down and you go to your knees right away, it's no points. So under the rules which were defined earlier, Rany won, but you cannot call Parrumpinha a loser. He is one of the best in the world and showed it today. Rani had some good work early on, he was on Parrunmpinha back several times with one hook and was working for a few chokes. He was very impressive. Parrumpinha got aggresvie as the match went on and was very very close to scoring a few times. Great job by all.

The finals with Glover was good too. I think Rani got points for a sweep and for a takedown. The bummer was that Jamelao was coaching Jeff and had some gripes, which was totally fine, but then the ref responded with some sh*t talking back, and then they made thsi big ole scene and it was a huge distraction. I even remember both Glover and Rani stopping while in the middle of the match and looking over to both of them yelling at each other other, pretty amusing. It was all portugese so I don't know who said what.

Parrumpinha gave us a great interview after the fight and was a very classy guy. Anybody in his area needs to check him out and train with him.

Bill Cooper did great. Had a great match with Kenrick from Tinguinha's. Tapped out all of the others he faced other than that one I think. Looking forward to the next one. I think he only had to face two guys in the open weight and finished both without too much trouble. He said he's going to win ADCC 2007 and beat Jacare! hehe.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

that would be a bold move there...beating jacare in the wieght division, if that happens.. grappling mag will have to do a legends edition on him already. its amazing someone thqat age can be as good as he is. i am twice his age and wouldnt last 1 minute with him probably

i've been rolling with Parrumphina all this week. he's impossible to hold down, super slippery. and he NEVER gets tired going full speed. he does like three ten minute rounds at high intensity and he's hardly breathing

Green Whale said:
First off, I'm not sure on why Ricco didn't fight, I'm sure there are two sides to the story, but the word I heard from a referee is that they were unable to agree upon money last night. So the fans lost out.

This really was a dissapointment. I wish they would've have at least setup a match between Schembri and somebody else. It didn't have to be a superfight or for the money (which he alread won), just so that it wasn't a waste of a trip for him, and so that we could see him roll.

As for the timing of the event, I thought it went rather well even though Rani and Parrumpinha took so long. Without the Nino/Ricco fight, didn't it last about the expected time? Anyways, there were plenty of great matches, and I totally agree with the comments on Bill Cooper. Great to watch, he was really pushing the fights, and several different times he and his opponent were going through several crazy positions and scrambles.

Anyone heard anything in 2006 about Rani? He's not training at Rickson's school in LA anymore. Just wondering if anyone has seen him compete in the last couple of months.

johil d'o said:
Anyone heard anything in 2006 about Rani? He's not training at Rickson's school in LA anymore. Just wondering if anyone has seen him compete in the last couple of months.

he fought mma in japan pretty recently

Thanks, Hamoom. Wow, I had no idea - I just looked it up on fightfinder and see that he's fought twice in Japan in the last 2 months. He's very very hard to submit -- Leozinho and the rest couldn't do it. He's proveen to be one of hte best no gi grapplers in the world. He's tough. Here's his last fight:

Win Takumi Yano Technical Submission (Triangle Choke) GCM-MARS 2/4/2006 3 2:14

Still training wrestling at BH High School?

johil d'o said:
Still training wrestling at BH High School?

the last time was two weeks ago because my lower back was acting up. before that i had gone for maybe five weeks straight, and it really improved my takedowns. we had some tournament style matches in my academy and everyone noticed a big difference in my takedowns. I would definitely recommend all bjjers to crosstrain in wrestling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back