Ranking the seasons of Breaking Bad

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This discussion is far more divisive than it should be, so it's ripe for discussion. Breaking Bad was truly one of the greatest television dramas of all-time, but it became so good and so palatable to elitist critics, that the glaring flaws of its final season somehow evaded criticism. For the sake of clarity, I will (as many do) divide season 5 into 5A and 5B.

So, how do you rank the seasons?

I go:

1. Season 4

IBB_CarExplosion-800x450.jpg

Season 4 of Breaking Bad will almost certainly go down as one of the greatest seasons of any drama series in television history. After leaving audiences hanging for 18 months following season 3's phenomenal cliffhanger, season 4 actually wasn't entirely popular for much of its run: fans consistently complained about the slow-burning plot and lack of action, feeling that the season's branding as Walter as "the danger" was entirely misleading. However, upon its spectacular completion, the season became extremely satisfying in its totality and, especially with regard to symbolism and foreshadowing, proved itself to have impeccable replay-ability despite its relatively measured plot. Alongside its masterful writing and direction, this season also hosts by far the greatest acting performances of the series' tenure. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul both give their most rangey and expressive showcases, and Giancarlo Esposito provides one of the most enthralling villains (or antihero? protagonist?) in television history. However, the season allows for unexpectedly brilliant performances from (previously unspectacular) side characters like Marie (played by Betsy Brandt).

Best episode: Crawl Space (S4/E11)

2. Season 2

breaking-bad-s2e13.jpg

Season 2 sticks out as by far the most enjoyable, mainly because (a) Walter still retained some of the good nature that allowed him to be identifiable, (b) the sophomore season had grown out of the awkward growing pains in production and budget constraints of the first season, (c) the show had not yet achieved critical acclaim, so it did not yet take on its debatable pretension and obsession with slow burn, maintaining a remarkably faster pace, and (d) the subject matter was still fairly light compared to later seasons.

Best episode: Phoenix (S2/E12)

3. Season 1

walts-whities.jpg

As most pilot seasons tend to be, Season 1 doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the seasons, as we are rushed through Walt's pre-cancer prelude, his diagnosis, and his subsequent break bad. However, the first season has an element of black humor that was nearly completely lost upon its return for a second season. While later seasons would retain homages to the show's black comedy roots with undeniably pretentious scenes such as the final transition of the first episode of the fourth season, the charming clumsiness of Walt and Jesse's initial foray into drug dealing is never quite replicated.

Best episode: ...And the Bag's in the River (S1/E3)

4. Season 3

Breaking-Bad-Full-Measure.jpg

Season 3 saw the show significantly slow its pace and show just what it could do with an ample budget. While Season 4 got the most complaints for its lack of action, I actually found Season 3 to be by far the most frustrating and least satisfying. Despite its mediocre pace and somewhat sloppy integration of the Mexican cartel subplot, the elaboration of characters Gus and Mike do wonders for the show's artistic appeal, and the final two episodes of the season are some of the very best in the series.

Best episode: Half Measures (S3/E12)

5. Season 5B

walter-white-breaking-bad-finale-ftr.jpg

Besides the boringly formulaic, exceedingly silly, and wildly impractical series finale, the final chapter of the series mostly suffers from having clearly been rushed. The first few episodes of the season are wildly superior to any of those in the preceding season, but (besides being rushed) the plot ultimately suffers from poor structure. Having killed the Big Bad in the S4 finale, the final season had the simple duty of focusing on the showdown the entire series had been building to: Hank and Walt. However, wanting to maintain its moral ambiguity and some semblance of vindication (a certain betrayal of the show's premise), the writers opted instead to substitute in a needless alternative antagonist in the form of a group of hill billy Trump voters. The season and series finale, on its logistical silliness alone, betrays the quality of the season's earlier episodes.

Best episode: Ozymandias (S5/E14)

6. Season 5A
latest

Wow.

Talk about a drop off. After putting forth one of the best drama seasons in television history, the whole staff really dropped a big old poopie to start out season 5. From the illogical and inorganic character pivots (Walt losing every bit of humanity gained in S4 and parlaying it into being a cheesy movie villain) to the shameless product promotion (see picture above), to the laughable plot devices, the show completely jumps the ship, clearly drunk on its own fame.

However, strangely enough, the show also contains one of the series' most enjoyable episodes, mostly due to its showcasing of Mike (Jonathan Banks). But, ultimately, the first part of season 5 suffers both from silliness in pursuing the show's foreboded character development ends and in setting up an ill-conceived showdown for the season's second half.

You see it has a 99% rating on Rotten Tomatoes? That's 100% ridiculous.

So, how do you rank 'em?

Last edited:
i havent seen this show.

ive been told to watch it by lots of people.

ill probs try to do that sometime soon.

4 is definitely the best.

I preferred 5A to 5B. 5B was wrapped up a little too nicely after the roller coaster that was the previous seasons. I was expecting a
Walt Jr. or Skyler death, or even a Jessie death. The writers could have made Walt lose a little more than just Hank who he was feuding with anyway

At least 5A had that crazy train heist and Walt going full villain. I enjoyed seeing that.

All I know is that bug episode was by far the worst.

Season 2 I think is the best

I liked the show a lot better when it was just Walt and Jessie fucking around

All I know is that bug episode was by far the worst.

I'm guessing you mean "Fly" as opposed to "Bug."

Fly was the bottle episode, which was pretty boring. Bug was the episode that involved Walt placing a tracking device (bug) on Gus' whip.

If so, totally valid take.

1. 3
2. 2
3. 5B
4 Way Tie - 1, 4, & 5A

There's no 'worst,' or 'bad' seasons of Breaking Bad, just varying levels of epic awesomeness between every episode of every season.

i liked the first 2 seasons,after that it turned into a drag that i didn't like,and still haven't finished.

S4 Gus vs Walt.. S3 Gus/Walt building relationship.. then S5 then the first 2 seasons for me. Gus and Mike really help make the show.. First 2 seasons kinda dragged for me at points..

Also best 2 episodes (the one in S4 like u said) were Walt returns home to find the money gone and starts to cry/laugh maniacally..

2nd is obviously ozymendus or however u spell it.. both episodes have me goosebumps which is rare for a tv show (for me)..

i'm in the UK,although it was picked up briefly by someone,our tv is awash with shit reality shows,filled with wannabe fame whores,so it went unnoticed in a 11pm or midnight timeslot for the first two seasons because of that reality shit,so its was entirely down to my sherbros I found out about it,and even then,i waited till the entire show ended and blindly bought the complete box set,so the season thing is a mute point for me,with that being said,while the last few episodes were stellar,for me it'd break it down by cook sites.

bounder/''crystal ship''>>>>>laundry super lab>>>>>>bug invested tented houses.

hard to believe,that for guys in the US who tuned in to the first episode,its will be 10 years in January.

Just how enjoyed them from my preference.

5b
5a

Some serious thought put into the OP.

It was a good, not great, show for me. Only watched the whole thing once. I seem to remember season 1 being sufficiently weak that it did not grab me straight away. I seem to also remember the last season being, meh.

I think the middle ones were the best.

First watch through, I liked the later seasons better because they were more action packed, but on my second watch through, I find myself preferring the earlier seasons.

First watch through, I liked the later seasons better because they were more action packed, but on my second watch through, I find myself preferring the earlier seasons.

What did you think of the second watch through? I struggled to even watch it a second time. Once the suspense is gone, the show really suffers imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runhomesun
Back