• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rank the talent on TUF 17

Hall
Andrews
Samman

The guy Dylan Andrews beat to get in the house was who I predicted as a possible winner before the show started

only really see hall in a top 20 185, bubba would be next but wont last to long.

Bubba doesn't look anywhere near one of the most talented guys right now. This is despite the facts that he has the most fights, has been at it the longest and has already has had many years at a top camp while no one else on the show really has.

He has no potential or upside at this point. He is who he is. A guy who already lost 2x on this show. A guy whose main training partner didn't pick first or even second. You think he's #2?

I personally think Cella was doing really well until the Kick and think that would have put anyone away.

I felt the same way. Everyone was like "OMG, Uriah is such a monster!" Until the big kick he looked like he was only getting the better of the fight by virtue of the fact that he was fighting a WW.

Also, the kick was very nice, but...he threw it with less than 10 seconds left, when lots of fighters sort of let their guard down thinking that they're both going to just wait out the bell. Excellent strategy on his part, but it somewhat diminishes the impressiveness compared to if he had landed it with 2:00 left.

...and Bubba...my god man, if you're going to bull rush for a clinch, you have to keep your damn hands up.

Also, the kick was very nice, but...he threw it with less than 10 seconds left, when lots of fighters sort of let their guard down thinking that they're both going to just wait out the bell. Excellent strategy on his part, but it somewhat diminishes the impressiveness compared to if he had landed it with 2:00 left.
I'm sorry... what?

Until that bell rings, you defend yourself to the best of your ability. Period.

I'm sorry... what?

Until that bell rings, you defend yourself to the best of your ability. Period.

I never said it was cheating or cheap, or anything, but the fact is, if you're not really engaged when you hear the 10 second warning, lots of guys relax a bit and sort of let their guard down thinking the round is over. I'm just saying that this makes it a little easier to catch a guy off guard with a kick like that.

Jesus, I swear some of you people are personally related to these fighters.

Hard to tell talent-wise.
Is Bubba really bad talent-wise?
His mental is weak, but training with Greg Jackson with a 20-6 pro-record (ok not only against great fighters but some have good record), I'm not sure he is that bad talent-wise.
But MMA is not just talent, and that's why he is one of the "worse" fighter in the house

I rate:

Uriah
Josh
Dylan
Luke
Kevin
Clint (With TDD)
Jimmy and Colin (if they learn to punch)

Rest are meh.

I felt the same way. Everyone was like "OMG, Uriah is such a monster!" Until the big kick he looked like he was only getting the better of the fight by virtue of the fact that he was fighting a WW.

...and Bubba...my god man, if you're going to bull rush for a clinch, you have to keep your damn hands up.

Lol he dropped him three times with Teeps - watch the fricken fight.

1a - Uriah Hall
1b - Josh Samman

3 - Dylan Andrews (pretty good all around)
4 -Kelvin Gastelum (more heart than talent in my opinion but he'S definetly ahead of most TUFFERs this season)
5 -Luke Barnatt (Pretty Raw talent could be higher in a few fights )
6- Jimmy Quinlan (that high because of the wrestling , not higher because of 0 presence of GnP ) .

All these could be interchangeable
Adam Cella (showed some sick BJJ and what handling his own against Hall until the KO )
Clint Hester (good striking , lack fight IQ and ground game)
Tor Troeng (seem way better than what he showed , but he did lose to the potential winner ) .
Colin Hart (Still think he could have beat Kelvin )
Zak Cummings (Vet who blew up his chance , showed no sense of urgency whatesoever )
Bubba McDaniel (was brokedown mentally and physically . Still think that in the UFC after full camp he beat 85 % of the TUFFERS )
Kevin Casey (Meh where was that ground game he's apparently elite at ? )
Gilbert Smith, Jr. (Didn't see much from Gilbert , think he's too small for MW ) .

I like Kelvin as well.

He's young, he's a good wrestler, has good conditioning, solid heart (He went all out in his opening match to get into the house and was a huge underdog against Bubba), tough as nails, continues to get better (Law of Diminishing Returns applied to him on the show), and his standup pre-fight against Collin in the warmups was pretty impressive from a striker's point of view (I practice Muay Thai).

Lol he dropped him three times with Teeps - watch the fricken fight.

That kind of speaks to what I was saying. It looked more like a big, powerful MW just having his way with a medium-sized WW. Not so much a masterful display of technique as it was a guy with enough of a physical advantage that his opponent's strikes weren't really hurting him, but his were hurting a lot. If you've ever sparred someone substantially bigger than you who can simply eat your punches (or if you've been that bigger man), you can probably relate.

...and before any retort to the effect of "no, man, skill trumps size" yes, skill absolutely does trump size, but when both guys are skilled, having a 20 lb weight advantage will make you look like an unstoppable ninja in what would have been a pretty competitive fight if you were both the same size.

Uriah has certainly looked like one of the best TUF contestants ever. I just think that knocking around a WW and KOing a guy who rushed you with his hands down aren't quite enough to anoint you as a title contender.

I never said it was cheating or cheap, or anything, but the fact is, if you're not really engaged when you hear the 10 second warning, lots of guys relax a bit and sort of let their guard down thinking the round is over. I'm just saying that this makes it a little easier to catch a guy off guard with a kick like that.
I never said you said he was cheating.

I'm wondering the relevance of bringing up that it was at the end of the round.

If Cella got "relaxed" at the end of the round, that's his own fault.

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews
Jimmy Quinlan
Clint Hester
Luke Barnatt
Colin Hart
Bubba McDaniel
Zak Cummings
Tor Troeng
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Adam Cella
Kevin Casey

That's my list. .

Totally agree with this list, except I'd place Adam Cella ahead of Zak Cummings, dude fought a really good match against Uriah, untill eventually got KTFO, like every else

I never said you said he was cheating.

I'm wondering the relevance of bringing up that it was at the end of the round.

If Cella got "relaxed" at the end of the round, that's his own fault.

Of course it's Cella's fault. It's just the same as how it's a little less impressive to KO a guy who drops his hands than to catch someone who is in a good defensive stance. I was just saying that it's a little easier to catch a guy off-guard under those circumstances. It's obviously a stupid mistake to relax in the last 10 seconds, but it's a very common stupid mistake. You see people coasting at the end of the round all the time. So it's certainly good strategy on Uriah's part, but it just slightly diminishes the "wow factor" of it, as opposed to landing something like that when both fighters were intensely engaged. It really wasn't meant to be that huge of a point, more of a side note.

Uriah Hall
Josh Samman
Kelvin Gastelum
Dylan Andrews
Clint Hester
Luke Barnatt
Everyone else

Uriah Hall
Josh Samman
Kelvin Gastelum
Dylan Andrews
Clint Hester
Luke Barnatt
Jimmy Quinlan
Colin Hart
Zak Cummings
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Tor Troeng
Bubba McDaniel
Adam Cella
Kevin Casey

Now that we've seen most of the season unfold I was wondering how you guys would rank the competitors from this season based on the level they were at in the house. Not potential, strictly where they stood among their other competitors while they were in the house. I'm thinking something like this:

Uriah Hall
Josh Samman
Dylan Andrews
Luke Barnatt
Jimmy Quinlan
Kelvin Gastelum
Clint Hester
Tor Troeng
Colin Hart
Zak Cummings
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Adam Cella
Bubba McDaniel
Kevin Casey
Revised list after the semis and Troeng/Cella:

Uriah Hall
Kelvin Gastelum
Dylan Andrews
Josh Samman
Luke Barnatt
Jimmy Quinlan
Clint Hester
Tor Troeng
Bubba McDaniel
Colin Hart
Zak Cummings
Gilbert Smith, Jr.
Kevin Casey
Adam Cella

Hall
Kelvin
Josh
Dylan
Luke
Thor
Clint
Jimmy
Collin
Gilbert
Zak
Bubba
Cella
Casey

After the finale:

Gastelum
Hall
Andrews
Samman
Troeng
McDaniel (I know he didn't have a great showing on TUF but he only lost to finalists)
Barnatte
Cummings
Hart
Quinlan
Hester
Casey
Smith
Cella

Order of people I think will find the most success in the UFC:

Gastelum (especially if he drops to WW, possible top 15 in the future)
Hall (maybe top 15 in the future)
Samman (good and smart fighter)
Barnatte (physical tools to be a problem for many fighters and still very young)
Hester (if he really works on his scrambles he will be dangerous, think he'll get good mathcups)
Andrews (can see him getting fun matchups but losing to top 15 grapplers, will be in FOTN style matchups)
Troeng (will probably get favorable matchups for cards on Sweden but lose once he starts fighting the top 15 guys)
Hart (I see him like a Tom Lawlor type picking up some KO/TKOs over lower tier guys and using his grappling to be competitive with mid tier guys. still very young)
McDaniel (good fighter but can't imagine him finding more succes than the above guys)
Cummings

I honestly don't know much about Cummings, but seeing as he is a vet I assume he will pick up some wins here and there. REst of the guys I am assuming will be cut since the TUF finale or will be cut soon although I think they should all get 1 more shot

Last edited:
It definitely goes like this
Kelvin Gastelum
Uriah Hall
Josh Samman
Luke Barnatt
Dylan Andrews
Colin Hart
Jimmy Quinlan
Zak Cummings
Tor Troeng
Clint Hester