Ralph Gracie BJJ

Beast13

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What can you all tell me about RG BJJ OC and/or Chino locations?

I'm located between them, the CH location is 10.7 miles from me and the OC location is 13.7 miles from me. From what I've read I'm leaning toward the OC location. Any opinions?

Thanks.

I have been a student ant the chino hills school since 2009, great people there, both students and teachers. It is a friendly environment and I think you will have a good time there. Nothing is wrong with the anaheim location either, but I am partial of course

Ive trained at both and both are good. Just try each one out and see which one matches your style of learning best.

I've spent alot of time training at both gyms and they're both excellent as Dan said above. The beauty of it is that we're all one big family so if you're paying at one gym, you can visit the other as much as you want. If you have any questions, feel free to message me, Dan or Spoonman since we are part of the upper belt crew of the gyms.

Members of RGOC or RGCH can also visit my gym without a mat fee.

Thanks for the replies. Who coaches the judo and MT classes in chino?

One of Gary Goltz's (head of the judo association) teaches Judo. Must Thai is taught by Arman Jose. I think the jiu jitsu training is better in Chino because of the Black Belt instructors. I also think the Muay Thai is better at OC. All the chino guys are awesome and there is no drama. All classes are taught by black belts who really care about the students. OC has been around longer and has a few more higher belts but some of them train elsewhere to get really good instruction, including chino and Dans place. Though, the people who cover classes at OC when the main black belt is not there are really good instructors. SheerTechnique has been covering for Bruno and is a really good instructor. At OC the higher belts get better training by their fellow students than by the main instructor. Chino guys mostly don't hop around to other schools cuz the instruction by the black belts is so good. Both schools are good though. In Chino you can try one month of unlimited classes for just $60 without signing a contract. Then you can try both schools and make an informed decision.

Last edited:
Nice post. Thanks. Now you have me wanting to go to chino. Lol

Go where Bruno Mamute and Beneil Daruish are. Did I even spell the latter guy's name right? They're at Anaheim. I hear the Chino Hills school sucks ass.

Go where Bruno Mamute and Beneil Daruish are. Did I even spell the latter guy's name right? They're at Anaheim. I hear the Chino Hills school sucks ass.

Whoa. Thanks for the positive comments about Anaheim but the Chino location is fantastic as well. Gabriel Costa and Greg Rivera are 2 of the best instructors around and are genuinely good guys. I've spent a considerable amount of time training in Chino and have learned a tremendous amount from those guys. On top of that, Sean Roberts stops by once a month which is amazing.

Whoa. Thanks for the positive comments about Anaheim but the Chino location is fantastic as well. Gabriel Costa and Greg Rivera are 2 of the best instructors around and are genuinely good guys. I've spent a considerable amount of time training in Chino and have learned a tremendous amount from those guys. On top of that, Sean Roberts stops by once a month which is amazing.

Thanks! I doubt that person ever even been in Chino or OC. By the way, within about six months
Sean will be a permanent instructor in Chino also. And, Benny comes by too to train with Gabriel and Greg. Try both schools. Come to Chino for jiu-jitsu and go to OC if you want a really good Muay Thai game. Either way you get to train with everyone. Several mornings during the week a lot of OC guys come to train in Chino too.

Last edited:
No. He has students teaching too. Like right now he is gone for a month and students are filling in for him. They are very good instructors though. I believe students teach the early morning classes too.

So Bruno doesn't teach all the BJJ classes at OC?

Yes, Bruno teaches all of the classes at OC. He went to Brazil for 3 weeks to visit family for the holidays so the upper belts are covering. We have a 7AM class twice a week that is taught by a purple belt for the guys that want to train early mornings. All of the other classes are instructed by Bruno Paulista, including the kids classes.

Honestly bro, just stop by both academies, try a class (for free) and ask all of the questions you'd like. That will help you most in making an informed decision.

I'm just going off what I heard about Chino from respected training partners. Like RGBJJ said, I've never been to Chino. But hey, maybe things changed, their review is almost a year old now. Thanks for not going crazy on me for giving input. I respect that, and if I swing by Chino sometime and I like it, I will not hesitate to admit that I was wrong to say something like that.

I'm just going off what I heard about Chino from respected training partners. Like RGBJJ said, I've never been to Chino. But hey, maybe things changed, their review is almost a year old now. Thanks for not going crazy on me for giving input. I respect that, and if I swing by Chino sometime and I like it, I will not hesitate to admit that I was wrong to say something like that.

Please stop by any time. I guarantee you will like it. I've never seen any bad comments so I am not sure what you are referring to but seriously stop by some time. You are more than welcome to try class. Though don't let us know who you are so we don't have everyone smash you! Just kidding! We don't do that to anyone. Hope you come by.

Also all the guys from OTM in West Covina train at Chino and have been for several years. They have a choice of going to any place around and they all chose Chino even though it is a bit of a drive and they pass other places along the way. But, that should tell you a little something about our school and instruction right there.

Cool. Thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated. I think I'm gonna start out at Anaheim. The jits seems of equal quality at both locations, but striking is also important to me and that's where OC takes the edge.

Back