Quints USS Indianopolis speech thoughts(JAWS)

TribalDrumz

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Someone on Fakebook posted this. good discussion though.

" I watched Jaws for the 50th or so time, and a realization about the film came to me that I never thought of before. During Quint's speech regarding the USS Indianapolis, I was wondering why that part was even in the film. I had never thought to ask that question previously, which is why I didn't think of potential answers.

It didn't take me long to come up with a possible answer, though. Quint's resistance to asking for help and even going on to bash the radio equipment makes Quint look prideful, but it also looks like he has a death wish. It's possible that the speech is included to show Quint has survivor's remorse regarding the Indianapolis, and subconsciously took the shark job to see his life ended. Maybe he kept going after sharks because he wanted to kill the things that he survived, or die by their teeth.

I don't know if this is the case, nor if anyone ever thought about it before. I do know that this thought added a new dimension to a film I love and gives me something else to appreciate and ponder..."

Thoughts??!

Yes I think that's exactly was the scene represents in the movie.

I'd tease you about it taking fifty watches to think of this but I can damn well appreciate a man who has watched Jaws fifty times so cheers bro.

Someone on Fakebook posted this. good discussion though.

" I watched Jaws for the 50th or so time, and a realization about the film came to me that I never thought of before. During Quint's speech regarding the USS Indianapolis, I was wondering why that part was even in the film. I had never thought to ask that question previously, which is why I didn't think of potential answers.

It didn't take me long to come up with a possible answer, though. Quint's resistance to asking for help and even going on to bash the radio equipment makes Quint look prideful, but it also looks like he has a death wish. It's possible that the speech is included to show Quint has survivor's remorse regarding the Indianapolis, and subconsciously took the shark job to see his life ended. Maybe he kept going after sharks because he wanted to kill the things that he survived, or die by their teeth.

I don't know if this is the case, nor if anyone ever thought about it before. I do know that this thought added a new dimension to a film I love and gives me something else to appreciate and ponder..."

Thoughts??!
Jaws was based on a book and I have read it. In the movie adaption Steven Spielberg tweaked some things. In the book both Quint and Hooper die. Brody's wife has a love affair with Hooper. Also a subplot of mafia gangsters doing business in Amity.

Jaws was based on a book and I have read it. In the movie adaption Steven Spielberg tweaked some things. In the book both Quint and Hooper die. Brody's wife has a love affair with Hooper. Also a subplot of mafia gangsters doing business in Amity.

Lol... sounds like the changes were for the better.

It’s easily one of the best acted and most memorable scenes in a film full of good acting and memorable scenes.

I think the survivors remorse is an interesting take. I always took it more to show Quint’s preoccupation with sharks and why the mission that he takes on would be so personal to him rather than just some mercenary effort to make 10k.

I didn't take it as survivor's remorse but more him personally wanting revenge on sharks and not wanting any outside help

I took it to be more like Moby Dick and a classic revenge obsession plot.

Back