Quick reviews: superset 2

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
From films I've watched last 2 weeks or so that weren't mentiones in my aliens and the Rock thread.

Breakdown - 8/10
Thanks to whoever it was who recommended this movie. A kurt Russell action thriller which gets going from the start. It's a typical "trapped in a town where everyone is in on it" type of movie but kurt russel as well as Jt Walsh who is fantastic. Some questionable editing in some parts maybe. Highly reccomend.

The Artist: 9/10
Not the type of movie I expected to like or even enjoy because I assumed it was pretentious best picture winner "art" with a "silent film" hook to get the academies collective dicks hard. But I actually ended up enjoying it a lot. Its worth seeing the performances by the two leads alone. Its barely with a flaw to be honest. But might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Gattaca - 8.5/10
This one was recommended by @HARRISON_3. The more I think about this film after watching it the more I like it..and it's not often that happens. It's a very 90s type of scifi movie complete with 90s tones which I would group it with films like Truman show and being john Malkovich if you can grasp what I mean. It does take a little more suspension of belief than usual even for a scifi film...depending on how you look at some of the parts especially mistaking jude law for Ethan hawke.

A better tomorrow: 9/10
@Solid this was great action. But I have to say the writing was what really took me for surprise, very slick. The gun fight scenes are top notch, and that last act blew me away. Screw aiming and marksmanship when Mark turns the boat around I'm like oh shit it's on and then it is on. Music was surprisingly good too.

Jumanji 2: 7/10
A step down from the previous film with still enough of its charm to not suck. Kevin hart as Danny Glover is the best part. The rock being devito thing is a respectable try but gets cringey pretty quick.

Fatal attraction: 8/10
Just one of those classic thrillers everyone has seen that I wanted to watch. And it does a good job of turning the initially likeable glen close into someone who makes your skin crawl. Douglas is perfectly cast in this too. Fun movie.

Falling down: 7.5/10
Another Douglas film...not bad. Checked it out because I've never heard of it and I've noticed it being mentioned more online as a "hidden gem". Robert Duvall is the best part of the movie by far. The films message is a little too obvious at times and would be better with a little more subtley. I guess I thought it could've been better.

In bruges: 9.75/10
Mentioned this in another thread but needs repeating. I can barely explain how much I loved this movie. Its hilarious, terrific writing, terrific acting, conflict, comedy, everything.

Seven psychopaths: 8.5/10
Not as good as in bruges, and maybe tries to be more tarantino...but still I really had fun with this movie. Harrelson, Walken, Rockwell, all kill it imo. Farrell isn't bad either but plays second fiddle to those guys. Maybe the film is a little try hard at times but I think it's one that I'll be watching whenever it comes on.

From films I've watched last 2 weeks or so that weren't mentiones in my aliens and the Rock thread.

Breakdown - 8/10
Thanks to whoever it was who recommended this movie. A kurt Russell action thriller which gets going from the start. It's a typical "trapped in a town where everyone is in on it" type of movie but kurt russel as well as Jt Walsh who is fantastic. Some questionable editing in some parts maybe. Highly reccomend.

The Artist: 9/10
Not the type of movie I expected to like or even enjoy because I assumed it was pretentious best picture winner "art" with a "silent film" hook to get the academies collective dicks hard. But I actually ended up enjoying it a lot. Its worth seeing the performances by the two leads alone. Its barely with a flaw to be honest. But might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Gattaca - 8.5/10
This one was recommended by @HARRISON_3. The more I think about this film after watching it the more I like it..and it's not often that happens. It's a very 90s type of scifi movie complete with 90s tones which I would group it with films like Truman show and being john Malkovich if you can grasp what I mean. It does take a little more suspension of belief than usual even for a scifi film...depending on how you look at some of the parts especially mistaking jude law for Ethan hawke.

@Solid this was great action. But I have to say the writing was what really took me for surprise, very slick. The gun fight scenes are top notch, and that last act blew me away. Screw aiming and marksmanship when Mark turns the boat around I'm like oh shit it's on and then it is on. Music was surprisingly good too.

Jumanji 2: 7/10
A step down from the previous film with still enough of its charm to not suck. Kevin hart as Danny Glover is the best part. The rock being devito thing is a respectable try but gets cringey pretty quick.

Fatal attraction: 8/10
Just one of those classic thrillers everyone has seen that I wanted to watch. And it does a good job of turning the initially likeable glen close into someone who makes your skin crawl. Douglas is perfectly cast in this too. Fun movie.

Falling down: 7.5/10
Another Douglas film...not bad. Checked it out because I've never heard of it and I've noticed it being mentioned more online as a "hidden gem". Robert Duvall is the best part of the movie by far. The films message is a little too obvious at times and would be better with a little more subtley. I guess I thought it could've been better.

In bruges: 9.75/10
Mentioned this in another thread but needs repeating. I can barely explain how much I loved this movie. Its hilarious, terrific writing, terrific acting, conflict, comedy, everything.

Seven psychopaths: 8.5/10
Not as good as in bruges, and maybe tries to be more tarantino...but still I really had fun with this movie. Harrelson, Walken, Rockwell, all kill it imo. Farrell isn't bad either but plays second fiddle to those guys. Maybe the film is a little try hard at times but I think it's one that I'll be watching whenever it comes on.
Nice bud, I'd give falling down a little higher and a little lower for in Bruges and 7 psychos

Glad you liked better tomorrow. You should check out john woo's the killer and hard boiled, they got chow yun fat and woo directing

Nice bud, I'd give falling down a little higher and a little lower for in Bruges and 7 psychos

Glad you liked better tomorrow. You should check out john woo's the killer and hard boiled, they got chow yun fat and woo directing

How's ABT 2?

I'll need to check out gattaca, I also thought Ethan hawke was in it lol

Also Mulholland drive which I already reviewed in the aliens thread but I'll copy and paste it here

Mulholland drive 6.5/10
Wasnt my thing. I was with it and fully invested in the movie.....until the turn, and at the end of the movie I had more questions. Mostly as to why the interesting plot threads were all rendered useless.

I'm not a fan of the surrealism shots...they look cheesy. I did like some of the shots in the film and the use of color. Especially the scene with the 40s style singing audition. The acting especially from watts was great..but tbh it's a little out there for me...like forced art.

If you haven't seen the other John Woo/Chow Yun Fat flicks I highly advise it. The Killer, Hard Boiled, etc.

Back