Questions about HMB and Omega 3-6-9s

• Thread starter Deleted member 56619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56619

Was lookin to get a little more info on this stuff. From what i understand Omega 3 is Fish Oil right? But it is also flax seed oil? This stuff(fish oil) is used to speed up your metablosim so you get protein and such into your body faster right?
I found a bottle of 250 caps of omega 3-6-9s from NOW for like 13 bucks. Anyone know what the omega 6 and 9s do? Also is NOW a good company?

Ok sorry last question, what does HMB do? I read(from the manufacturer)that it helps prevent protein breakdown in the muscles. Anyone have any experience with it? know a good/cheap brand for it?
All help is much appreciated, i will probably have alot more questions in the next couple of days because im about to place my first order ever for supps, so be sure to stretch out those fingers.

codysweet02 said:
Was lookin to get a little more info on this stuff. From what i understand Omega 3 is Fish Oil right? But it is also flax seed oil? This stuff(fish oil) is used to speed up your metablosim so you get protein and such into your body faster right?
I found a bottle of 250 caps of omega 3-6-9s from NOW for like 13 bucks. Anyone know what the omega 6 and 9s do? Also is NOW a good company?

Ok sorry last question, what does HMB do? I read(from the manufacturer)that it helps prevent protein breakdown in the muscles. Anyone have any experience with it? know a good/cheap brand for it?
All help is much appreciated, i will probably have alot more questions in the next couple of days because im about to place my first order ever for supps, so be sure to stretch out those fingers.

well.. a typical american diet is already high in omega 6 and 9's.. like meat, nuts and veggies.. so u don't really need to supplement them.. (although u DO need GLA--gamma linolenic acid-which is a rare omega-6 fat) what u need to look at most is the ratio that u're taking them in... the best brand get all ur EFA's is "Health from the Sun -- Total EFA"

however, me personally i use Costco's fish oil.. they seem to do the trick..

HMB i don't know anything about.. but for preventing muscle breakdown (anti-catabolic) i use L-Glutamine... there is a good thread about it here somewhere.. (probably on page 2 or 3) and it's dirt cheap if u get it in powder form.. 2.2lbs for approx. $29

if u want.. u can post or pm me the list and links to whatever u gonna purchase.. and i'll/we'll let u know our opinions.. :wink:

I was told, if you're gonna do HMB, you should do the stuff patented by Vanderbilt, no cheap substitutes.

You seem to be on a lot of supplements, Cody? You think you might want to simplify?

Acctualy i have never taken any supps, i have just been reading this forum for a couple of weeks trying to decide what supps i SHOULD be taking and its kind making my head spin. I lift weights 3x a week, box 2x a week and grapple 2x. I have never been in great shape, always been kinda skinny(im 5"10 174 so not too skinny) and am just trying to get in alot better shape and general health. Just trying to get a pretty good idea of what i should be taking before i go spend a $100-$150 on supps. As soon as i start to think i know what i need i learn about something new, im starting to think maybe i should just get some protein.glutamine and a multi and add everything else one by one as i feel the need.

HMB's worthless. Its never been proven to do anything in healthy individuals.

The jury's still out on Glutamine, but it's just a placebo IMO. 90% of it doesn't make it through your intestinal tract. If you could IV glutamine it might make a difference, but orally it's proven to not do much.

My opinion is just to buy healthy food, oatmeal, salmon, veggies, fruit and go light on the supplements. A multi is helpful, you should probably get MSM or some glucosamine to help your joints with all that activity. maybe some protein powder if eating is a problem.

Later on add creatine if you want to....but its really not necessary for endurance sports, and only adds like 2-8% to power as far as my gym log has shown. Noticed no difference in grappling or other activites...

Hmmm, as for muscle breakdown, I always buy two kinds of protein. The one I take before bedtime is called 'Micellar Casein'. The one I take in the morning and after a workout is 'Milk Protein Isolate'. I also get my protein with added AminoGen and Vitamins and Minerals mix (company allows this option).

Next time though I'm going to customize my MPI with Sucrose 50/50%, if anyone has a better suggestion tell me. :)

Zeirhk said:
Next time though I'm going to customize my MPI with Sucrose 50/50%, if anyone has a better suggestion tell me. :)

Maltodextrin or Dextrose.

codysweet02 said:
Acctualy i have never taken any supps, i have just been reading this forum for a couple of weeks trying to decide what supps i SHOULD be taking and its kind making my head spin. I lift weights 3x a week, box 2x a week and grapple 2x. I have never been in great shape, always been kinda skinny(im 5"10 174 so not too skinny) and am just trying to get in alot better shape and general health. Just trying to get a pretty good idea of what i should be taking before i go spend a $100-$150 on supps. As soon as i start to think i know what i need i learn about something new, im starting to think maybe i should just get some protein.glutamine and a multi and add everything else one by one as i feel the need.

Multivitamin
Carb/Protein Powder (Postworkout)
Fish Oil Pill
Creatine

These are the only true staples that pretty much every guy in here takes. If you're trying to lose weight, or are an endurance athlete (pro boxing is probably the only true endurance sport in the fighting world), lose the creatine.

There's also a Staple Supplement thread I started a couple months ago. There were some arguments in there, but at least you get to see every guy in here list his staples.

There's also a "Rating the Supplements" thread I started. Showed the ratings for the supplements from "Power Eating," my diet book, by Susan Kleiner, and a discussion of those ratings.

Madmick said:
Multivitamin
Carb/Protein Powder (Postworkout)
Fish Oil Pill
Creatine

These are the only true staples that pretty much every guy in here takes. If you're trying to lose weight, or are an endurance athlete (pro boxing is probably the only true endurance sport in the fighting world), lose the creatine.

There's also a Staple Supplement thread I started a couple months ago. There were some arguments in there, but at least you get to see every guy in here list his staples.

There's also a "Rating the Supplements" thread I started. Showed the ratings for the supplements from "Power Eating," my diet book, by Susan Kleiner, and a discussion of those ratings.

u forgot to mention GREEN powder! and fiber!

oh and can u link the staple supplement thread and the rate ur supplement thread? i did a search on "staple" and "rating" and couldn't find it..

supersudo said:

oh and can u link the staple supplement thread and the rate ur supplement thread? i did a search on "staple" and "rating" and couldn't find it..

No, green powders are not staple supplements. You can get that in your diet (just eat 5 servings of vegetables daily). In fact, you could get the EFA's in your diet, but almost none here get a daily serving of mackerel, so fish oil pills are on the list.

Fiber is also something you should be getting an adequate amount from in your diet.

supersudo said:

I think you can find fiber in something called vegetables. I hear broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and carrots are good brands. WAR roughage!!! :D

yeh.. but really.. does the average person get enough?.. i consider myself as a regular veggie and fruit eater, even oatmeal and i still had constipation problems in the past... i've read the daily recommended intake of fiber is 25g+ and i think the Daily Value is 30g... u'll be stuffing urself full of veggies all day to get that amount...

which is why fiber powders are needed.. :wink: well then again.. it could just be me.. and not everyone else.. :D

supersudo said:
yeh.. but really.. does the average person get enough?.. i consider myself as a regular veggie and fruit eater, even oatmeal and i still had constipation problems in the past... i've read the daily recommended intake of fiber is 25g+ and i think the Daily Value is 30g... u'll be stuffing urself full of veggies all day to get that amount...

which is why fiber powders are needed.. :wink: well then again.. it could just be me.. and not everyone else.. :D

It's probably worth taking. I have some.

But that's not a staple.

Back