Question

CajunFighter15

White Belt
Reaction score
Alright everybody... I got a question and I need some answers from real people who know what they're talking about. I'm 15, currently training in Judo, and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. I'm looking to develop a stand up routine, and was wondering if Boxing or Muay Thai would be better?

There is no canned answer for that, but my first advice would be to look around. If you have a good boxing and Thai boxing gym around then you have the hard choice of picking which one to go to . If there is only one good one (boxing or Thai) then go to the good one. Simple as that. You could also try both and see which one you "take" to better. The one that fits you best is the right answer any way.

Definately boxing. My instructor was a kicker with few peers, yet in his bar-bouncing days he ended almost every confrontation that escalated to a fight with a standing submission hold (Hapkido/Judo) or punching. Boxing is more adaptable and applicable to a greater variety of situations (hard to use kicks to great effect in a crowded situation, such as a bar or a party, which is where I've seen most fights go down). Plus, I think kicks (even if done well) must be performed at a greater risk of getting countered badly by a skilled opponent than punching.

And I personally think-- based on observation and personal experience-- that if a boxer and a kicker of comparable skill go to head-to-head, my money is on the boxer.

Don't get me wrong...Muay Thai is a spartan, brutally effective striking style. But if I had to choose...

There is no canned answer for that, but my first advice would be to look around. If you have a good boxing and Thai boxing gym around then you have the hard choice of picking which one to go to . If there is only one good one (boxing or Thai) then go to the good one. Simple as that. You could also try both and see which one you "take" to better. The one that fits you best is the right answer any way.

Oh yeah: that too. Solid instruction in "A" will take you further than crap instruction in "B" every time. There is no idiot-proof style that can be assimilated well with sub-par coaching.

And I personally think-- based on observation and personal experience-- that if a boxer and a kicker of comparable skill go to head-to-head, my money is on the boxer.

Don't get me wrong...Muay Thai is a spartan, brutally effective striking style. But if I had to choose...

My money would be on the better fighter. A good thai guy isnt a "kicker" he's a kneeing, elbowing, and only in the proper circumstance a kicker. Too many people's perception of kickboxers is colored by the guys trained for a long time in the US. Guys who dont cross train with boxers and who are always trying to "keep distance" with kicks. The Dutch dont fight like that, they punch first and look to kick when a guy backs off them rather than "keeping distance".

But that all goes back to quality of instruction too. Having said that, for my personal tastes and tendecies, I would go boxing; but I trained at a place where the guy was a Dutch influenced fighter who had a good boxing trainer on staff to iron out people's hands, so I really didnt have to pick one or the other. I got a decent taste of what both had to offer.

My first love is boxing. But it has its draw backs against a kicker. Unless you alter your stance and footwork it would be real easy for the kicker to take out your front leg. I know bcause when I started MMA the dojo started training on what to do if against a boxer. They developed techniques to neutralize my foward advancing footwork and some of my lateral movement.

It really made it where I became a totaly defenseive fighter as far a movement was concerned. If they came to me I could stop their advance but to start an attack was very difficult.

Front kicks to the lead leg could stop my advance but it turned both fighters into defensive fighters. So boxing or MT both have good or bads. You need to know what your goals are. And choose accordingly.
Dont know if that helps the thread starter but thats my opinion.

The answer is the better gym.
They are the both styles so like people have said neither will do you any harm and go with whichever has the best gym.
If you have a solid Boxing gym for e.g. and a Mcdojo Muay Thai place then you will do alot better going for the Boxing gym as you'll get better training and therefore get better and learnt techniques that will be used easier.

Back