Question

beginnerfighter

White Belt
Reaction score
i just started doing both jiujitsu and mma, i train around 3-5 times a week (try to train 5 times more often then not) for about an a hoour a session, i also want to start doing muay thai and boxing, and im in good shape, ive been drinking protein shakes for a few months and i am now pretty skinny, im thinking i want to start gaining weight, but i dont want ot gain fat, i want to start bulking up, gaining mass muscle, (btw im 18 and about 145-150 lbs and 5'10) i was wondering if any of you guys think that im training enough to start drinking gainer shakes and not just gain fat?

i know this is a "noob " question but that is exactly what i am , any help would be awesome, thanks

Eating more food is not going to "bulk you up" without adding resistance training to your program. I'd strongly encourage you to consider doing Starting Strength as a basic lifting program, and add GOMAD to that. Given your activity levels, it's unlikely that you will put on much fat.

Read the stickies at the top of this forum and also the Diet forum - they are packed with a lot of great information as well as links to threads with more than you ever wanted to know about a variety of topics.

yea, i was probably gonna start next this next week with some streght training probably around 2 days a week, before jiu jitsu and then probably once i start doing that ill start drinking grainers, i think thanks for the input tho

Instead of drinking gainers and a bunch of shakes, you might also try looking into eating more good food.

yea, i was probably gonna start next this next week with some streght training probably around 2 days a week, before jiu jitsu and then probably once i start doing that ill start drinking grainers, i think thanks for the input tho

Check out the FAQ in the S&C subforum. There are some good routines in there, including a 2-day split. I used it while training for a triathlon and saw strength gains even with all the running, biking and swimming I was doing. With your mma/bjj schedule, your body probably couldn't handle more than that.

As for weight gainers: it's really impossible for anyone to comment on that without knowing what your diet is like. Most people your size aren't eating nearly enough to put on size/strength, and the first answer for them is simply to eat more. A lot more. But you'd have to post your diet for any real advice there.

well i already drink alot of shakes, and i cant really post my daily diet ,because its not set, but i do try to eat healthy, and succeed id say about 90% of the time, but i doubt im eatting enough to gain weight becasue im concerned about gaining fat instead of muscle

At your age, activity level, and predisposed body type (meaning your "build"), you're not gonna get fat.

I am a supporter of "real food". You get more naturally occuring vitamins and minerals that are essential for a healthy body- especiaslly that of an athlete.

Defenitely implement some strength training. The guys (above) had good advice. You might wanna start journaling your food- gives you an accurate count to make sure you are eating enough. It wouls also enable you the ability to "add nutrients", by tracking, and then learn what and how much does what to you. MAke sense?!? There are a ton of free sites- I use Fitday.com

Eating more food is not going to "bulk you up" without adding resistance training to your program. I'd strongly encourage you to consider doing Starting Strength as a basic lifting program, and add GOMAD to that. Given your activity levels, it's unlikely that you will put on much fat.

Read the stickies at the top of this forum and also the Diet forum - they are packed with a lot of great information as well as links to threads with more than you ever wanted to know about a variety of topics.

woah killer, GOMAD is not for the average joe

eat. ALOT. and lift weights. ALOT.

this, read all the faq's. Eat peanut butter, eat steak, chicken, green veggies, brown rice, butter, whole milk bacon, eggs- lots. Throw in some almonds, pistachios. Have sweet potato and a ribeye with buttered broccoli after training. Toss the weightgainers and eat. Figure out what 5000 cals in a day looks like and start there.

Add a 3 day a week lifting routine like starting strength or stronglifts, and if you still are skinny and not gaining, eat more.

well i already drink alot of shakes, and i cant really post my daily diet ,because its not set, but i do try to eat healthy, and succeed id say about 90% of the time, but i doubt im eatting enough to gain weight becasue im concerned about gaining fat instead of muscle

Just write down what you eat for a few days. Cover a few days and it will probably show an average.

It's pretty safe to say that if you're 145, you're not eating enough. And if you're 145 you don't need to worry about getting fat, especially considering your activity level. Also, if you are looking to put on muscle and size, and you're a hardgainer, what you eat will have to become somewhat set, at least in terms of the amount of food each day.

On a side note, why a hardgainer would down some weight-gainer shakes instead of some pizza is something I'll never understand. I wish I had that problem.

He's not average. He's a 145 pound weakling who is relying on shakes.

He's 145 pounds because he doesn't do resistance exercises. He relies on shakes because he doesn't know any better. If he ate more and lifted he'd be fine I'm sure. GOMAD is for the small percent of the population. The freakishly skinny guys like corey hill

He's 145 pounds because he doesn't do resistance exercises. He relies on shakes because he doesn't know any better. If he ate more and lifted he'd be fine I'm sure. GOMAD is for the small percent of the population. The freakishly skinny guys like corey hill

I don't think GOMAD is some extreme thing that should only be used by freakishly skinny people. Lots of whole milk is something that most every lifter can benefit from, in my opinion. I can tell you that if I don't drink enough milk my lifts start suffering.

I don't think GOMAD is some extreme thing that should only be used by freakishly skinny people. Lots of whole milk is something that most every lifter can benefit from, in my opinion. I can tell you that if I don't drink enough milk my lifts start suffering.

Oh I agree to an extent. I drink plenty of milk. I just don't want people buying in to this notion that they NEED to be consuming a gallon of milk a day in order to see gains. That is ridiculous. The man in question has a shitty diet and appears to do little or no resistence training. Change those 2 factors and BAM he's got results without force feeding him massive amounts of milk

Back