Question with triangle.

MEK

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so a few days ago I was bored and went on youtube and watched highlights...and this came to me.

This guy (don't know the name) sets up a triangle, throws the leg over but couldn't get the trapped arm over. After about 10 or so seconds of fighting it, instead of bringing the foot opposite of the trapped arm under the other knee, he brings the other foot under this opposite knee and gets the tap after he straightens the arm out. I figured this was interesting cuz I've never seen a triangle done like that, but apparently it worked in there and on my partner sparring in class. So can somebody explain this to me?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YEA6VLCIZpg

It's around the 1:30 mark.

In the video it looks like he tapped to the armbar, not the triangle.

Ok I was wondering about that too. Anyways even if that was armbar do you guys think it'll work theoretically?

Yes, it's been discussed here a couple times. I'm not sure about details, but I know you can switch your triangle and finish when your opponent is defending his arm.

Yes its a move that works b/c your opponent is mainly concerned with the triangle and the armbar catches him off guard

Our instructor never just does a triangle, he always attacks you with some armlock while triangling you, like a keylock or a goose-neck-hold even.

thats what we call a "razor"..

He switched to a reverse triangle . ( not needed but doesn't hurt ) pulled the arm out like he was going for a kimura type lock .. so the guy straightened it with his elbow and thumb facing down. he pinched his wrist with his head to his shoulder .. and pushed down on the elbow .. Works every time

yeah he tapped him with a straight arm lock, on a side not, how fucking funny is that japenese dude hopping around and then it just cuts to him mounted and arm triangled.

thats what we call a "razor"..

He switched to a reverse triangle . ( not needed but doesn't hurt ) pulled the arm out like he was going for a kimura type lock .. so the guy straightened it with his elbow and thumb facing down. he pinched his wrist with his head to his shoulder .. and pushed down on the elbow .. Works every time

razor? never heard it called that before.

anyway to the TS you absolutely can finish with an inverted triangle like that, i personally like to glover finish in that exact position; however, in that match it was an inverted armbar that got the tap, not the triangle. it's simply one of the many options you have from that position.

yeah he tapped him with a straight arm lock, on a side not, how fucking funny is that japenese dude hopping around and then it just cuts to him mounted and arm triangled.

double post

lol I thought it was Sudo Genki first, with his funny "butt facing opponent" stance. Wish the man didn't retire.

And thanks guys for answering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back