Question on taking the back against much larger guys

bloosteak

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I had the back of a much larger guy, I went for a pretty bad RNC, it wasn't deep enough so he basically pulled it off. Then he grabbed my sleeves and basically pulled my arms to each side. He obviously couldn't escape but I also couldn't use my arms. What am I supposed to do? I was thinking about transitioning to armbar but I couldn't do it without my arms.

I don't even see how someone could do that to you. In any case, break the grips on your sleeves and go back on his neck.

How do you break the grips? Just pull my arms back? I weigh only 127ish pounds right now.

Turn your wrists outward and circle them.

Thanks, never been taught gi specifics. Have a year of no-gi experience and like 10 classes of gi experience.

Big guys hate when you have their back! This is mostly because they suck at getting you off.

Don't try to rush or freak out if they are keeping control of your arms like that. Remember that you have the dominant position.

If he controls your arms make sure you don't waste energy just trying to fight it. Completely relax your arms and let him know that what he is doing is useless. Work to bring one arm to the other (Bringing your arms in is a much stronger movement than him trying to keep your arms out.) Once your hands are near each other, grab his wrist with one hand, and yank away with the other hand to break one grip. With a free hand either try to free up your other hand or go right for his neck.

Back