Question For All low carbers...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I have noticed that it's becoming more prominent. I see other low carb snacks besides Atkins. I like Atkins but the gas ain't worth it.

Anyways my question is, do you guys eat whatever you want as long as it's low carb or do you still count calories ball park wise? Do you guys have a low carb cheat day and a strict low carb days?

I love the idea of low carb but my body reacts better to a vegetarian diet. Occasionally I enjoy pizza but would like to try to reduce the carbs on those days by sticking to the toppings and a dough substitute. To this day I don't understand the whole " you don't need to count calories just cut the carbs"

I think the biggest problems with "carbs" nowadays it's that most of our carb sources have sugar in it as well, for example bread.

Carbs are good for you and your body needs them to create energy, the problem is most of us eat bad carbs, and that's where you need to know the difference between good and bad carbs.

Good carbs come from things such as oatmeal, sweet potatoes, even rice. Bad carbs are pasta, bread, sweets etc..

What has worked for me over the years is to try to avoid carbs in certain meals, but then have them as a treat rather than having carbs in every meal. That way I'm taking care of myself without being so strict, and also enjoying life too.

Balance is key.

I'm doing a variation of aip where I cut out nightshades, most beans (still enjoy coffee and cacao occasionally, absolutely no soy), and all grains (corn, rice, gluten, etc) and I feel fantastic. I think I'm onto something here. I'm curious about the carnivore diet but I get cravings occasionally and feel good doing what I'm doing.

A lot of people have undiagnosed food allergies and the response is sometimes delayed or manageable enough that they don't realize that they're not functioning optimally.

I'm not a fan of blanket statements like oatmeal and brown rice are healthy carbs. It really varies from person to person.

I always try to eat grass fed organic too though many companies will still try to deceive you.

Been keto for almost 4 years with only a single weeklong break from it when I went on vacation.

It's still calories in vs out. Early on I kept track of everything on a spreadsheet but I can eyeball it pretty damn well now. If I have a cheat day, it's not with carbs but maybe I'll have an extra few hundred calories in the form of a lettuce wrapped burger or another steak or a couple pounds of wings. When I went to carbs for the vacation (and I admit I went right for the most awful shit carbs like brownies, ice cream and pasta), I really didn't feel good at all so I don't see myself making that mistake again, not anytime soon at least.

Goes like that: Your body needs sugar to live, if you don't have sugar in your blood your body ends up forced to burn fat which gives you sugar + ketoacidosis.
If you ingest oils, fats and protein only the rate where your body dissolves fats in a search for sugar is much larger, so you end up thinner.

Dare you ingest sugar alongside all that fat your body won't ditch the fat, yet body still welcomes each and every molecule of fat, it really doesn't matter much the type of sugar - some types of sugar last longer in your bloodstream than others (well, in fact you take more time to digest them), still you should avoid them at all costs.

If you can manage to eat more protein/fibers instead of fatty stuff you'll maximize the output, just beware it's quite hard to keep that for long, specially during breakfast.

Also when you ditch carbs you most likely end up defenestrating gluten as well, a lot of people have smaller gluten allergies, I for myself had it for +/- 18 years prior to discovering.

I have noticed that it's becoming more prominent. I see other low carb snacks besides Atkins. I like Atkins but the gas ain't worth it.

Anyways my question is, do you guys eat whatever you want as long as it's low carb or do you still count calories ball park wise? Do you guys have a low carb cheat day and a strict low carb days?

I love the idea of low carb but my body reacts better to a vegetarian diet. Occasionally I enjoy pizza but would like to try to reduce the carbs on those days by sticking to the toppings and a dough substitute. To this day I don't understand the whole " you don't need to count calories just cut the carbs"
It’s about net carbs, not just carbs. So google net carbs. And I don’t eat sugar, because it’s made right into fat. Obviously portion control, eating at the right times of days etc.. are important, just like they always are.

The thing you have to know is that if you aren’t sticking to it, but you are eating keto foods, you may be eating high fat. And if your body is given high fat/sugar and carbs, you’ll gain a ton of weight.

it does work, extremely well. But you have to really understand what you’re eating

I love the idea of low carb but my body reacts better to a vegetarian diet.

I just went vegetarian. So far, I feel like my gym performance has really improved. We will see if I sustain it though.

It’s about net carbs, not just carbs. So google net carbs. And I don’t eat sugar, because it’s made right into fat. Obviously portion control, eating at the right times of days etc.. are important, just like they always are.

The thing you have to know is that if you aren’t sticking to it, but you are eating keto foods, you may be eating high fat. And if your body is given high fat/sugar and carbs, you’ll gain a ton of weight.

it does work, extremely well. But you have to really understand what you’re eating

I hear you on the net carb. Most followers subtract fiber from their carb intake. I find solace in dark chocolates since the bitterness keeps cravings away and tons of fiber. I really miss pizza and don't like vegetarian pizza as well. I am thinking whenever I do have a day to eat meat, I would cut the carbs and stick with the toppings. Or have a tiny piece of peta bread or some cauliflower as dough substitute.

I enjoy vegetarian diet but fuck the only low carb option is cheese and spinach or broccoli. If I try to be strict, I usually have a giant amount of hemp protein in hot water and some berries on the side. Sucks taste wise but feel very good the next day.

I hear you on the net carb. Most followers subtract fiber from their carb intake. I find solace in dark chocolates since the bitterness keeps cravings away and tons of fiber. I really miss pizza and don't like vegetarian pizza as well. I am thinking whenever I do have a day to eat meat, I would cut the carbs and stick with the toppings. Or have a tiny piece of peta bread or some cauliflower as dough substitute.

I enjoy vegetarian diet but fuck the only low carb option is cheese and spinach or broccoli. If I try to be strict, I usually have a giant amount of hemp protein in hot water and some berries on the side. Sucks taste wise but feel very good the next day.
I couldn’t do vegetarian and keto. I eat a lot of meats and proteins on this diet. If I cut out meat I eat too much dairy so I stick with meat.

I’m like GSP, I stay in shape all year long and healthy carbs are an important part of that.

I would also like to say that people should be eating more and more food items like buckwheat. Which pretty much blows any rice in nutritional information out of the water

I just went vegetarian. So far, I feel like my gym performance has really improved. We will see if I sustain it though.

One of the turning points in my life that allowed me to lose tons of weight was being immersed in vegetarianism with a strong root in raw foods. One thing I will say and this is very important:

"perfection does not exist"

This includes the vegetarian food, nutrition feels like a moving target. You can have a diet be it vegan or vegetarian that works best for you but even what works best for you may not be the best at all times. I find that on a occasion that I do eat meat, I feel strong and more lively the next day but if I continue with the meat consumption next day then I start feeling like crap again.

Its like having an occasional meat can be beneficial but it has to be an occasion and even once a week is too much.

I couldn’t do vegetarian and keto. I eat a lot of meats and proteins on this diet. If I cut out meat I eat too much dairy so I stick with meat.

That's the thing, I would never preach my vegetarian diet on to anyone. In fact I recommend vegetarianism to some people and not everyone. What work for me may not work well for others. Even though I thrive on a meat free diet, I completely understand that this is in regards to my genetics which prefers meat free and this genetic trait is something I share with others but not everyone.

This is why I get annoyed at overzealous vegans or paleo followers. Different people have different reaction to different foods. But there is definitely an archetype of individuals who either thrive on meat free diets or more meat based. Good call on the dairy, that stuff in excess messes tons of people up. Easy to overconsume calories on it as well.

Carb cutting, while not the only thing that will work, I think makes sense for a few reasons. One is by cutting an entire macronutrient you almost have to reduce calories significantly. Two is they're the least important macro. Three is once you come off the carb jitters, most folks aren't going to be craving food nearly as badly.

Back