Question about WBO

Emanuele

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
On the Italian Wikipedia I've read a thing.
La WBO sebbene riconobbe le altre tre federazioni pugilistiche come tali sin dal suo inizio, essa non fu riconosciuta. La prima a riconoscerla fu la WBA nel 2001, a cui fece seguito la WBC nel 2004 ed infine la IBF nel 2007.
It says: "Although WBO regognized all the three sanctioning bodies since its Birth, it wasn't recognized by them. The first one to recognize it has been WBA on 2001, then WBC on 2004 and in the end IBF on 2007."
I've never known this story, is it true? Was WBO only recongnizer totally in 2007?

On the Italian Wikipedia I've read a thing.
It says: "Although WBO regognized all the three sanctioning bodies since its Birth, it wasn't recognized by them. The first one to recognize it has been WBA on 2001, then WBC on 2004 and in the end IBF on 2007."
I've never known this story, is it true? Was WBO only recongnizer totally in 2007?

yes .

the WBO was a fringe belt until the second half of the last decade.

yes .

the WBO was a fringe belt until the second half of the last decade.

Yeah, I'm not sure when it became "legit." I recall herbie hide one time being a title holder.

Thankfully...most real fans are able to distinguish Real Champions from mere title holders.

the WBO is still generally seen as the least respected of the four major alphabelts. Only the IBO belt (which isn't even really considered a major belt) is lest prestigious

not that any of them mean anything anyhow

So, when Hopkins unified WBO with the other three belts (2004) wasn't it fully recognized?

no-one gives a shit about the WBO belt even now

you will probably find the only fighter to give any worth to the WBO title was MAB

as a title, its pretty worthless and a lot of good fighters have given it up as soon as they have won it

no-one gives a shit about the WBO belt even now

you will probably find the only fighter to give any worth to the WBO title was MAB

as a title, its pretty worthless and a lot of good fighters have given it up as soon as they have won it

not really.

the WBO is in the same league as the other 3 nowadays.
recognized by the boxing hall of fame, the media, and the other 3 sanctioning bodies as a legit organisation .
MAB wasn't the only fighter in that period to give any worth to the wbo ....you had DLH , hamed, calzaghe etc.....

today ? all their beltholders are top 10 fighters , just look at the illustrious list of their current champions :

wladimir klitschko
marco huck
sergey kovalev
manny pacquiao
ruslan provodnikov
mikey garcia
Guillermo Rigondeaux

who's questioning the legitimacy of these titles ? nobody.

the WBO, IMO picked the right side in the SMW battle of Britain vs USA.

Back